Employment with another firm during gap year after SA summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Employment with another firm during gap year after SA summer

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:36 pm

As an evening student who will try to get a leave of absence for their SA summer, I am faced with the possibility of needing to quit my current job to be an SA. That leaves me with a possible need for gainful employment during my 4L year... The firm I'm going to historically has not hired clerks before graduation so likely will not keep me on for the school year. Is it worth trying to approach other big firms in the meantime?

I can always try to find something else in my current field for the gap year, but I'm in an industry that rarely hires at the end of the year so it would be hard to get something in September-January. While I have enough put away to pay off my 4L tuition and to stay afloat, I'd rather not blow off all of my savings (I have a family and I am thinking about moving into a bigger house so I don't want to blow away a big chunk of what would be my down payment).

If I do get a job as a clerk for another biglaw firm, would they assume that I would work for them post graduation? What if I already accepted an offer from my summer firm? Does anyone know how that would work out?

Basically want some advice on where to focus my job search at the end of summer if I need to look for a new job. I work in an industry that pays competitively with biglaw so a position clerking is probably actually less lucrative but potentially easier to land?

Return to “Legal Employment”