TTT's who got Biglaw: how important were your 2L/3L grades? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

TTT's who got Biglaw: how important were your 2L/3L grades?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:47 pm

I'm almost positive my grades are going to fall from the A/A- range I maintained during 1L to B+s this year.

How concerned should I be, given I have V100 2L SA on lock?

TYIA.

And please keep flames to a minimum. I genuinely want some feedback.

patrickd139

Gold

Re: TTT's who got Biglaw: how important were your 2L/3L grades?

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm almost positive my grades are going to fall from the A/A- range I maintained during 1L to B+s this year.

TYIA.

IB4 someone misreads thread title and assumes you're asking how hard it is to get biglaw from TTT.

Substantively, I think firms usually care very little about your grades, and make offers/no offers based mostly on your summer experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:58 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm almost positive my grades are going to fall from the A/A- range I maintained during 1L to B+s this year.

TYIA.

IB4 someone misreads thread title and assumes you're asking how hard it is to get biglaw from TTT.

Substantively, I think firms usually care very little about your grades, and make offers/no offers based mostly on your summer experience.
Thanks. I know the common mantra is firms don't care, but this is coming from folks who are attending top tier schools. I have a feeling that since I'm coming from a TTT institution, the same logic doesn't necessarily apply.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:02 pm

ive heard of firms making a little stink about it, but its rare. and most cases are like huge drops; u shouldnt be worried

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
patrickd139 wrote: Substantively, I think firms usually care very little about your grades, and make offers/no offers based mostly on your summer experience.
Thanks. I know the common mantra is firms don't care, but this is coming from folks who are attending top tier schools. I have a feeling that since I'm coming from a TTT institution, the same logic doesn't necessarily apply.
FWIW, the people at my firm who got no-offered were the only two from T14s in our class. They really did look at the body of work (including social, geographic and work-product aspects) in making their decision.

I'm far from an expert on firm hiring, but I doubt there's one standard for T14 and another standard for TTTs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:08 pm

My impression is you're fine unless you start getting grades in the B-/C range, and even then. I went to a so-so law school and had a friend who was really scared she was going to get no-offered after getting a C as a 2L and they didn't care in the slightest. That said, it's going to depend on the firm. They might have realized that money is a little tighter than they thought and they're only going to be able to make offers to, say, 4 of 7 summers this year. If that's the case, then they're going to be looking for people to no-offer, and the combination of grade-slippage and TTT school might be just enough to give them justification.

The bottom line is don't panic, but you're not doing yourself any favors by getting lazy about your grades either.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:24 am

To add an anecdote: The only big firm I'm familiar with that has done no offers recently, and I'm not naming it because it'd play into all the wrong stereotypes and do more harm than good, no-offered a pair of Yale law students.

For the amount of time and effort firms invest in you, GPA in bullshit classes that won't help you in practice tends not to be on their radar.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”