Big4 Tax Consultant Salary Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Big4 Tax Consultant Salary

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:33 pm

OP Here:

I heard back within a week from all the places. Had 2-3 weeks to decide on offer. I informed one company about offers/deadlines at other Big4 and got a rejection letter 4-5 days later. Still no travel reimbursement :(

My gut feeling is that they hire most people they bring to call-backs. In a big city, they are hiring between 30-40 people per office.

To the other poster, I think this definitely a good career option. All of the Big4 provide a bonus upon passing the bar/CPA exam between $5-10k. They also provide up to 5k to cover bar exam expenses. These are not salary advances. There also seems to be some cool programs that pay for education when you are an employee. Seems like I could take some accounting classes or enroll in Tax LLM and have the company pay for it. Starting out with 4 weeks of paid vacation too.

Again, you will not be a lawyer. I think that after a minimum of 2-3 years, you could have very good exit options such as in-house tax department of law firm. I'm really into tax and would not enjoy practicing other areas of law as much, so this is perfect for me.

However, some potential downsides I see include the possibility of having a boss that is 5 years younger than me. Working just as much as my friends in BigLaw without the same salary. Getting lost in the huge company.

Any other insights into this would be great. As always, more than happy to help and answer questions.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP Here:

I heard back within a week from all the places. Had 2-3 weeks to decide on offer. I informed one company about offers/deadlines at other Big4 and got a rejection letter 4-5 days later. Still no travel reimbursement :(

My gut feeling is that they hire most people they bring to call-backs. In a big city, they are hiring between 30-40 people per office.

To the other poster, I think this definitely a good career option. All of the Big4 provide a bonus upon passing the bar/CPA exam between $5-10k. They also provide up to 5k to cover bar exam expenses. These are not salary advances. There also seems to be some cool programs that pay for education when you are an employee. Seems like I could take some accounting classes or enroll in Tax LLM and have the company pay for it. Starting out with 4 weeks of paid vacation too.

Again, you will not be a lawyer. I think that after a minimum of 2-3 years, you could have very good exit options such as in-house tax department of law firm. I'm really into tax and would not enjoy practicing other areas of law as much, so this is perfect for me.

However, some potential downsides I see include the possibility of having a boss that is 5 years younger than me. Working just as much as my friends in BigLaw without the same salary. Getting lost in the huge company.

Any other insights into this would be great. As always, more than happy to help and answer questions.
At a Big4, you'll progress up the ranks by being very good at what you do. However, many people who make the jump from Manager to Director run into trouble because the requirements of the job are completely different (but no one tells you this). If you haven't figured it out before making the jump, and laying the appropriate groundwork, you're fucked.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:44 pm

I work audit.. but for a new associate with U.G accounting and a masters in taxation the going rate in a mid-size market is around 55k.

As for relocating: Each office is its own entity, all offices under a certain name are in an alliance together and share common resources. The office that hired you made that hiring decision for its own needs and determined that you fit with THEIR office. An offer from one office is not an offer from all offices. You can eventually switch offices for various reasons, as another office will look favorably upon you being "Alumni". You will have to work for what ever location hired you and wait for an opportunity / reason to transfer. Asking to turn an offer from one location into an offer to another location will likely just result in rejection.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:29 pm

Got an offer in ITS (2L internship) from one of the big 4 in NYC with no sort of accounting background or business background. Is it crazy to try to split my summer between a business-focused federal 2L honors program and a Big 4 int'l tax? Like most 2L's, I am not 100% sure what I want to do, but I like the business side of things. I am not sure that working in any type of law firm will likely be an option at any point in the near future.

It seems like doing this could jeopardize my apparent commitment to both public service and tax. But the fed honors only gave half its interns offers last year while the big 4 gave offers to 100%, so splitting seems like a way around this problem.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer in ITS (2L internship) from one of the big 4 in NYC with no sort of accounting background or business background. Is it crazy to try to split my summer between a business-focused federal 2L honors program and a Big 4 int'l tax? Like most 2L's, I am not 100% sure what I want to do, but I like the business side of things. I am not sure that working in any type of law firm will likely be an option at any point in the near future.

It seems like doing this could jeopardize my apparent commitment to both public service and tax. But the fed honors only gave half its interns offers last year while the big 4 gave offers to 100%, so splitting seems like a way around this problem.
It seems like everybody is scoring one of these left and right. I am at a T-14, also with no accounting background. I've applied to pretty much all the online job ads for the big 4 + some other tax firms, and nothing. I've contacted recruiters manually and through linkedin - nothing. I did this all pretty much two weeks ago. Did I just miss the boat or am I doing something wrong?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:40 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”