1L Summer Job Search Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dreakol

Silver

Re: 1L Summer Job Search (Early Bird Special)

Post by dreakol » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:45 pm

coldshoulder wrote:Strategies for applying to DA/PD offices?
apply broadly. if the office has specific instructions, follow them. if they dont, i just snail mailed my materials (resume and cover letter) directly to the office, addressing it to the actual state attorney/public defender.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:31 pm

polkij333 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Just so people know, every recruiting contact I have spoken with has said they hate receiving snail mail... When you email it to them they can print a fresh copy of your resume and cover letter and dont have to deal with the hassel of snail mail. Just a heads up.

I sent out apps to all texas firms hiring 1Ls yesterday, hopefully something works out!
:evil:
Hahaha I get it!!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:59 pm

dreakol wrote:
apply broadly. if the office has specific instructions, follow them. if they dont, i just snail mailed my materials (resume and cover letter) directly to the office, addressing it to the actual state attorney/public defender.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that you should wait until January (maybe even Feb.) to apply for these positions since these offices typically hire later?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:04 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
dreakol wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that you should wait until January (maybe even Feb.) to apply for these positions since these offices typically hire later?
Its not a bad idea. For unpaid internships (as long as their deadline is not in December) I would wait till after finals to apply

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:20 pm

Made a typo on an application, realized it the instant I hit send.

:(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:55 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
dreakol wrote:
Its not a bad idea. For unpaid internships (as long as their deadline is not in December) I would wait till after finals to apply
yeah, if you are aiming for pd/da work this summer, no need to apply now (unless they have a deadline coming up). i think the earliest deadline i encountered was the philly da in feb iirc.

renardthecrocs

New

Post by renardthecrocs » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:13 pm

2014 wrote:Made a typo on an application, realized it the instant I hit send.

:(
--ImageRemoved--

I did this, too, leaving out a word on a couple of emails. But life goes on. As long as it's just a typo typo, a lot of times people don't catch that.
The worst feeling was when I was sending out a *networking* email, and I was just copying from one I had sent a few weeks ago. As soon as I hit send, I realized I hadn't changed the goddamn name in the salutation. I had all of the worst feelings hit me at once. It wasn't even a particularly important networking email, but doing something like that looks so incredibly sloppy that I couldn't breathe for a few seconds.

And then the most amazing thing happened. The email bounced. I've never in my life been happier to see a bounced email.

So, yea, you're fine. Trust me. Worse things can and do happen.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:16 pm

I left out a word in a sentence that basically made it look like a sloppy mail merge (even though it was done by hand lol) but I at least had the firm name and person's name correct. I'm hoping there is a good chance that they read so many of them that they gloss over it.

Either way, it's still one out of a mountain of applications none of which had a good shot in the first place, so onto the next one :P

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:49 pm

dreakol wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
dreakol wrote:
yeah, if you are aiming for pd/da work this summer, no need to apply now (unless they have a deadline coming up). i think the earliest deadline i encountered was the philly da in feb iirc.
Thanks guys.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:14 am

Received my first ding before 7AM this morning. Leggooo.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:16 am

InGoodFaith wrote:Received my first ding before 7AM this morning. Leggooo.
Up to 5, but feeling good about 1 "under review"

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:46 am

chem wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Received my first ding before 7AM this morning. Leggooo.
Up to 5, but feeling good about 1 "under review"
Given that I haven't heard from any, I'm concerned my e-mails just didn't go through. That is what the legal market has done to my mind.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:24 pm

1 ding, 1 "Please fill out our online form which we hid very very well deep in the bowels of our website" and about ~50 silences so far.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:01 pm

2014 wrote:1 ding, 1 "Please fill out our online form which we hid very very well deep in the bowels of our website" and about ~50 silences so far.
No dings yet, but 2 of those "you idiot, we have a form" emails. I wish the NALP directory would say that (or they would put it less than 50 pages deep on their websites).

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:16 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
2014 wrote:1 ding, 1 "Please fill out our online form which we hid very very well deep in the bowels of our website" and about ~50 silences so far.
No dings yet, but 2 of those "you idiot, we have a form" emails. I wish the NALP directory would say that (or they would put it less than 50 pages deep on their websites).
I think it has to do with how they word it. I found the forms but it reads like its for a 2L.

paintbynumbers

New

Post by paintbynumbers » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:49 pm

1. Is it okay to wait until say Dec. 13th-ish to send out apps to big law firms?
2. What exactly is every one sending out? resume and cover letter? anything else(undergraduate trans., writing sample, etc.)?
3. If you've met partners in these firms before, should you send the app right to them or contact them at all?

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:07 pm

paintbynumbers wrote:1. Is it okay to wait until say Dec. 13th-ish to send out apps to big law firms?
2. What exactly is every one sending out? resume and cover letter? anything else(undergraduate trans., writing sample, etc.)?
3. If you've met partners in these firms before, should you send the app right to them or contact them at all?

you can probably wait. i just took a 4 hour study break and got it done though, figuring that the off chance they give an interview without grades, i wanna have my information in. Resume and cover letter, unless they ask for more when contacted. if you have actually kept up a dialogue with a partner who knows you, probably not a bad idea to send to them, or CC them. but if you just met them once, probably best to send to hiring attorney or recruiting. at least that's what I've done.

FWIW, i'm 0/5 so far.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:26 pm

renardthecrocs

New

Post by renardthecrocs » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:57 pm

No dings yet, one request for an official transcript (the official pdfs don't combine so I send unofficial in my app packet), and I remembered another secondary market I have decent enough ties to to throw some apps at, so working on another 5.

FWIW were dings from big cities? I've been putting off mass mailing NYC and Chi and with the responses I've heard from classmates, I think it's probably not even worth the time I'd have to put in mail merging to throw apps at those cities.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:10 pm

1st ding, "we aren't hiring 1Ls." s'okay, firm. I'll be back next year.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:30 pm

1 interview
5 under reviews
7 dings

rocking and rollin

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:32 pm

chem wrote:1 interview
5 under reviews
7 dings

rocking and rollin
daaaamn, chem. get it. I wish my inbox was as active as yours!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:36 pm

renardthecrocs wrote: FWIW were dings from big cities? I've been putting off mass mailing NYC and Chi and with the responses I've heard from classmates, I think it's probably not even worth the time I'd have to put in mail merging to throw apps at those cities.
Know of a few NYC dings, didn't apply personally.
I did Chicago and I have 1 ding not hiring, Proskauer saying do winter OCI here, and another that classmates have been dinged at so it might as well be.

There are like 10 1L slots in the city though, so it isn't worth it unless you are from here or go to UC or NU imo.
chem wrote:1 interview
5 under reviews
7 dings

rocking and rollin
Fucking IP

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:40 pm

Am I dumb for 100% putting this off until after finals on the 12th? I have lunch meetings set up with family friends in various firms in the markets I am aiming at the week after finals. Was just planning on apply to places they suggest me to so I can drop the whole "Mr. So-and-So recommended I apply to your firm for the summer, blah blah blah..." line.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:41 pm

Birdnals wrote:Am I dumb for 100% putting this off until after finals on the 12th? I have lunch meetings set up with family friends in various firms in the markets I am aiming at the week after finals. Was just planning on apply to places they suggest me to so I can drop the whole "Mr. So-and-So recommended I apply to your firm for the summer, blah blah blah..." line.
I'm basically doing the same

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”