Help me pick between two tertiary markets

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Help me pick between two tertiary markets

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:42 am

Two tertiary markets: firm A is in my hometown (200K - 300K population); firm B is in my home state (150K population). firm A is one of the flagship firms in the town. firm B is a well known firm within the city, but my perception is it is on the "second rung" within the town. when giving me the offer for SA, firm A could not guarantee full time employment post-grad. firm B gave a lot of indication that they need to hire full time soon, as they have some senior partners staring at retirement in the next 10 years.

dilemma: location preference is with firm A, and the firm is one of the flagships of the market. it is also a bigger firm with more practice area opportunities. it also probably provides the most leverage for getting full time employment within that city. however, the security of almost guarantee offer from firm B is very tempting.

any thoughts?

badaboom61

Re: Help me pick between two tertiary markets

Postby badaboom61 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:57 am

Take the one with higher probability of full time offer. Where offer rates differ, this should be the number 1 deciding factor for everyone, 100% of the time, regardless of any other preferences. You came to law school to get a full time job; if you miss the boat now that very well might not happen. Employment anywhere > unemployment in your favorite city after an SA with your dream firm.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:00 am

badaboom61 wrote:Take the one with higher probability of full time offer. Where offer rates differ, this should be the number 1 deciding factor for everyone, 100% of the time, regardless of any other preferences. You came to law school to get a full time job; if you miss the boat now that very well might not happen. Employment anywhere > unemployment in your favorite city after an SA with your dream firm.

100% credited.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:12 am

I absolutely agree that you should take the one with the higher offer rate. However, in determining that, you should look at the data (if accessible) rather than some attorney's offhand comments about the future needs of the firm. It doesn't sound like these firms are on NALP, so see if you can acquire offer rate data some other way. Maybe your OCS can help here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks all. I was leaning towards firm B for the reasons that you have stated. These markets are truly idiosyncratic. There is no real data available. The firms in these markets regularly have summer associates that are no-offered, not because of bad work, but because they don't have needs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:42 am

Hi all. OP here. Accepted with firm B. It is the better "business decision," but my heart was on firm A. Now I am feeling a lot of buyer's remorse.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all. OP here. Accepted with firm B. It is the better "business decision," but my heart was on firm A. Now I am feeling a lot of buyer's remorse.

Do not feel that. You made the correct decision. Getting an offer is of the utmost priority. Take it from me. 3L "hiring" is a wasteland.

Return to “Legal Employment”