DOJ SLIP 2013 Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

DOJ SLIP 2013

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:27 pm

Timeline thus far:

Deadline to Apply: 9/4/12
Referred to Components: 9/26/12 (EOIR)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:30 pm

For me it just said submitted.

There have been a number of threads that have started (some in combination with DOJ Honors), but since nothing has really happened, they get buried a bit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:42 pm

anyone applying to OLC or the SG's office and know what the hiring criteria is for the summer intern position?

is it similar to full-time/Bristow hiring which basically requires SCOTUS/feeder clerkship?

thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:anyone applying to OLC or the SG's office and know what the hiring criteria is for the summer intern position?

is it similar to full-time/Bristow hiring which basically requires SCOTUS/feeder clerkship?

thanks
I think thats for those who are already in clerkships IIRC.

Doesn't seem like too many people here are too fond of SLIP this year, or DOJ honors for that matter. Those threads were usually always at the top of the forum for a good few months.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone applying to OLC or the SG's office and know what the hiring criteria is for the summer intern position?

thanks

Doesn't seem like too many people here are too fond of SLIP this year, or DOJ honors for that matter. Those threads were usually always at the top of the forum for a good few months.
I was a SLIP last year, and it was amazing. I wonder if people were dissuaded from applying because of the small amount of openings. I have heard of some judges receiving fewer clerkship applications than in previous years, which is odd given the size of this year's 3L class. I think the people who are disparaging DOJ Honors and SLIP are BigLaw people who are not all that interested in public interest/service beyond what it can do for them (experience, prestige, money, exit options) or unwilling to admit they really aren't all that committed and are just looking for a job. That is kinda not the same thing as being committed to public service, which is what the components I have talked with really stressed. DOJ Honors and SLIP are super competitive, but those programs are also looking at something other than just your stats and where you went to law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:

thanks
I don't think that's the case. The SLIP position is only offered for people in their 3L summer (summer after graduation) and in the application process itself, you're allowed to say whether you've accepted a clerkship that begins following your 3L summer or if you're in the process of applying for a clerkship that would start then.

Since the SLIP application was due prior to the start of the plan, I'd imagine that the people who got early clerkships (including from early feeders) would be the most competitive for those four SLIP spots (SG and OLC).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

thanks
I don't think that's the case. The SLIP position is only offered for people in their 3L summer (summer after graduation) and in the application process itself, you're allowed to say whether you've accepted a clerkship that begins following your 3L summer or if you're in the process of applying for a clerkship that would start then.

Since the SLIP application was due prior to the start of the plan, I'd imagine that the people who got early clerkships (including from early feeders) would be the most competitive for those four SLIP spots (SG and OLC).
Don't forget that someone who has submitted an DOJ Honors application can switch it to SLIP after the deadline. A lot of judges, even feeders, didn't make decisions until after the SLIP deadline.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

thanks

Don't forget that someone who has submitted an DOJ Honors application can switch it to SLIP after the deadline. A lot of judges, even feeders, didn't make decisions until after the SLIP deadline.
If someone does SLIP during 3L summer, then doesn't that interfere with taking the bar? This is a question I've had for a long time. Do those people who do SLIP before a clerkship take the bar at another time or work through the study period?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:03 pm

So is everyone still on "application received by the DOJ"? I know there was movement for the Honors apps...anyone seen any movement on their SLIP app?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So is everyone still on "application received by the DOJ"? I know there was movement for the Honors apps...anyone seen any movement on their SLIP app?
OP here

Yes, still there and I only applied to EOIR

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote: If someone does SLIP during 3L summer, then doesn't that interfere with taking the bar? This is a question I've had for a long time. Do those people who do SLIP before a clerkship take the bar at another time or work through the study period?
I'm applying as someone going into a clerkship and I had that same question.

SLIP can last as few as 6 weeks, and, with careful time management, there's no reason that someone can't spend a portion of their bar study time working. There are people who work a firms while studying for the bar; if they can find time to study for the bar then summer interns working 40 hours can easily squeeze in 40+ hours of bar study.

Remember that the vast majority of JDs pass the bar on their first try, and, considering how selective DOJ (not to mention judges) is, people they take for SLIP are probably better qualified than an average graduate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:58 am

Status changed today (or maybe yesterday? I only checked just now) to Referred to Components.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Status changed today (or maybe yesterday? I only checked just now) to Referred to Components.
same!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Status changed today (or maybe yesterday? I only checked just now) to Referred to Components.
same!
+1. EOIR. Apparently a lot of the DOJ Honors moved to components as well, although they are also starting to get their interviews. My prediction is that once they send out their initial interviews to Honors, they will start paying attention to us SLIP applicants. What divisions did you guys apply to? I'd like to put it in my OP so that current and future applicants have a source of info.

I wonder if this status change means anything. It seems some people stayed at application received and were subsequently dinged in previous years. Maybe we made the first cut? Info seems to be conflicting, I don't know what to think.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:47 pm

how are you all handling other offers of employment while you wait to hear on your SLIP application?

fraught

New

Post by fraught » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:28 pm

I switched to "referred to components" today as well.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:19 pm

"Application referred to components."

I really hope this means something. Anything at all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

apparentlynew

New

Post by apparentlynew » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:23 pm

Ditto referred to components. The fact that everyone has had the same thing happen to them suggests that it is not an indicator of having passed some stage of review. I think, rather, that everybody's app was just, as the message says, sent on to the DOJ component(s) they applied to.

EDIT: I missed the part of the thread that said some people got dinged at the "application received" stage.
Last edited by apparentlynew on Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:26 pm

apparentlynew wrote:Ditto referred to components. The fact that everyone has had the same thing happen to them suggests that it is not an indicator of having passed some stage of review. I think, rather, that everybody's app was just, as the message says, sent on to the DOJ component(s) they applied to.
Unless!!! We're all special applicants that made it through an imaginary first cut. Pretty soon we'll all be getting interview requests. Right? :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:45 pm

Anyone able to speculate on whether SLIP looks better than a regular Volunteer when it comes to Honor Hire applications?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone able to speculate on whether SLIP looks better than a regular Volunteer when it comes to Honor Hire applications?

Thanks!
I think - but am not positive - that people can get funnel offers coming out of SLIP, but not coming out of the regular Volunteer positions. So in that sense someone who does SLIP has a leg up. But I don't think all components do funnel offers, and obviously you can't get a funnel offer out of SLIP to go to a different component (if you decided you wanted to try to switch).

Barring the funnel offer thing, SLIP might look a little better (because I presume it's more competitive), but I'm sure Volunteer experience is way better than no experience. I think for the government, experience with/commitment to an area goes a long way, however you get that experience. (Besides, not all components participate in SLIP, so it's not an option for everyone.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:29 pm

I hope this helps people. I have withdrawn my application from DOJ because I accepted another offer.

Several days ago I received emails indicating that my application had been "selected for further consideration" by all of the components I applied to. Given everything else I'm going to say here I won't mention which components in the hopes of remaining anon. When I checked my application status said "Selected for further consideration" - last I had seen it said "Application Received," so no idea if at some point mine said "Referred" as others have mentioned. One of my references also informed me that they had just been contacted by DOJ (not sure which component).

I was previously told by CSO that paid, fed legal internships (not Honors programs - their under the exempt service) previously ignored/miscalculated vet's preference and this year they would be giving full effect to it under the direction of OPM. I think the Administration is also heavily pushing for agencies to hire vets. Don't know if that's what caused the movement on my app, but very likely. Nothing spectacular school or grades-wise (still above top 33%, though). For non-veterans, I don't know what this means for you but just a heads up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone able to speculate on whether SLIP looks better than a regular Volunteer when it comes to Honor Hire applications?

Thanks!
I think - but am not positive - that people can get funnel offers coming out of SLIP, but not coming out of the regular Volunteer positions. So in that sense someone who does SLIP has a leg up. But I don't think all components do funnel offers, and obviously you can't get a funnel offer out of SLIP to go to a different component (if you decided you wanted to try to switch).

Barring the funnel offer thing, SLIP might look a little better (because I presume it's more competitive), but I'm sure Volunteer experience is way better than no experience. I think for the government, experience with/commitment to an area goes a long way, however you get that experience. (Besides, not all components participate in SLIP, so it's not an option for everyone.)
Thanks, anon! The funneling aspect is definitely something that I had not previously considered, but that makes a lot of sense. Seems like this would particularly true for Antitrust, since (I've heard - cannot confirm) they frequently hire through the HP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:52 pm

"Early October – interview candidates selected"

any candidates selected for interviews yet??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:"Early October – interview candidates selected"

any candidates selected for interviews yet??
The Avue board said last year that most interview decisions were made by Oct. 5. If you hadn't heard by Oct. 14, then you did not make the initial cut. If you were selected, status would change to "selected for further consideration." So according to this, interview decisions might be rolling out this week.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”