Missed call

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Missed call

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:32 pm

Quick question- Do firms ever call to reject you? Missed a call I likely can't return until tomorrow and don't wanna get my hopes up! They didn't leave a message.

Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Missed call

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:38 pm

People have reported phone calls both for rejections and on-hold notifications, as well as offers. I think offers are much more common, but aren't the only possibility. Post tomorrow and update us!

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:40 pm

Generally, no, they don't call to reject, but as I'm sure people will attest, it does happen.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:43 pm

Good probability its an offer, but don't count on it until you actually have the offer.

quakpond

Postby quakpond » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:45 pm

I feel like they usually don't call for rejections. I'm thinking because people might break down over the phone and that would be awkward.

Good luck!

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:47 pm

Based on what I've seen and heard, phone-call rejections occur but are the exception, not the rule.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:50 pm

First, why can't you return the call? If it's biglaw they definitely should still be in. Second, I think you may be getting your hopes up b/c it seems odd that you'd get a call from a firm that would just not leave a message. I suppose you could look up the number...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:52 pm

Thanks all!

And I know for sure who it is, I know the number. But I do think it's odd not to leave a message, which is why I'm a little worried!

Oh and I can't call cause I'm on a bus haha, guess I could but it's really loud and I'll try to be patient.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:52 pm

NinerFan wrote:Generally, no, they don't call to reject, but as I'm sure people will attest, it does happen.

That's about as cruel as it gets.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:05 pm

in my experience, if it is an offer they will leave a voicemail though...are you sure the missed call is even from a firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:07 pm

Definitely happens... i.e. Orrick calls with rejections.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:in my experience, if it is an offer they will leave a voicemail though...are you sure the missed call is even from a firm?

That's what I'm worried about! And yes, I'm positive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:18 pm

Definitely weird that they didn't leave a voicemail. Is the # a partner's that you met w/, or recruiting? I'd think it's more likely an offer if it's from the partner.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:23 pm

I got a rejection call from a big firm. Utter disappointment. They probably wanted to make sure I struck out of the 1L SA hunt with style.
Last edited by badaboom61 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Definitely weird that they didn't leave a voicemail. Is the # a partner's that you met w/, or recruiting? I'd think it's more likely an offer if it's from the partner.

It's a partner. And thanks for indulging in my speculation, everyone! Haha

NewYorkStork

Postby NewYorkStork » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:42 pm

Quick question- Do firms ever call to reject you? Missed a call I likely can't return until tomorrow and don't wanna get my hopes up! They didn't leave a message.

Thanks

With the same caveat that other people have used here, that I don't want to get your hopes up, I would be feeling optimistic that it is an offer. It's one thing to call someone to reject them, and it is another thing to call to reject someone and refuse to leave a message so that you can "be there" when they eat the rejection.

Also, I don't know how phone rejections go for firms that do them, but I have a hard time believing they pawn the phone rejection duties off on a partner (whereas partners often give the offers to make them more enticing). If anything, I would think it would be the recruiting director.

Keep in mind though that the phone call might be for something lame, like a clarification about your resume or a request for a writing sample. Again, though, given that the vast majority of phone calls from first post-CB are offers (especially from partners), and that only in the offer scenario does not leaving a message kind of make sense, I'm feeling happy for you. Be sure to update us, though!

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:05 pm

NewYorkStork wrote:

Thanks

Also, I don't know how phone rejections go for firms that do them, but I have a hard time believing they pawn the phone rejection duties off on a partner (whereas partners often give the offers to make them more enticing). If anything, I would think it would be the recruiting director.

My rejection call experience:

[Get phone call from desired area code]

Phone: "Hello? badaboom? This is XX, I'm the hiring partner with [top choice firm]. I wanted to call you and you say that you're a very impressive candidate, but we had a lot of great candidates and unfortunately we won't be able to offer you a position for the summer."

Me: "ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu..."

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:31 pm

badaboom61 wrote:
NewYorkStork wrote:

Thanks

Phone: "Hello? badaboom? This is XX, I'm the hiring partner with [top choice firm]. I wanted to call you and you say that you're a very impressive candidate, but we had a lot of great candidates and unfortunately we won't be able to offer you a position for the summer."

lol, I got two like this. The phone call started out so promising... :|

glitched

Postby glitched » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:38 pm

badaboom61 wrote:
NewYorkStork wrote:

Thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:08 pm

I'd just like to add, to the person who has been calling me from a blocked number and not leaving messages over the past week: if I find you, I will hurt you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:11 pm

Not OP. This whole missed call situation happened to me too. When I was in class, I got a call from the firm that I knew what meeting that day to review my file. They left a two second empty voicemail. When I redialed later, it took me to the front desk...not helpful. So I go to my next class, and again I get a voicemail from the same general number from the firm with a 2-second empty voicemail.

I tried calling the recruiting coordinator and her assistant...no answer.

At this point, I sent the recruiting coordinator informing her that I have been receiving these phone calls from the firm but there was no message. I told her I wanted to let her know in case it concerned my application and I needed to get in touch with them. She got back to me immediately saying to call this attorney and gave me the number.

Offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:15 pm

badaboom61 wrote:
NewYorkStork wrote:

Thanks

I got a VM from a partner at one of my top choices telling me to call him back. Rejection. Ouch.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:
NewYorkStork wrote:

Thanks

I got a VM from a partner at one of my top choices telling me to call him back. Rejection. Ouch.

God that is brutal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:30 am

Stepped out of the shower last year, missed call from #1 firm, 2+ minute voicemail. Rejected, ending up striking out. Top that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:33 am

I hate firms that call you for rejection. At least send an email first as a heads up. And then if you really liked a candidate call him/her.

Return to “Legal Employment”