DOJ Honors 2013 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any idea how many people they interview for the various components? (I'm obviously asking for information based on previous years.)

I'm specifically interested in the Civil Rights and Civil components. Thanks.
All I know is that they have a tight budget and pay travel expenses for each person they interview (the components I'm thinking of), so it's not going to be an extremely high number relative to how many spots are available. In other words, I would venture a guess that the flyback:offer ratio is much lower than for some firms. That said, since they are on this predefined schedule, they can't really do waves and have to be sure they interview enough people that they can ding anyone they want to and still fill the spots.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:24 pm

I seem to remember reading that they would interview around 18 for the 3 spots open in the Civil Rights division. I'm going TOTALLY off of something I THINK I remember reading on one of the past threads, so take that with a huge hunk of salt.

Anyone else remember that? I can't seem to find where it was I read it (yet another sign it's total crap info)...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:01 pm

Argh! My law school just sent me an email: "In light of your application to DOJ, here's contact info for an alum who's willing to be a resource during the hiring process blah blah blah." I haven't even *told* my CSO that I applied for Honors. I'm sure DOJ tells schools who's applied and it's just pro forma and means absolutely NOTHING, but still, I totally want to read it as a sign! (Actually, I really want to put this all out of my head and concentrate on other things, but that's not going so well. Sigh.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:05 pm

So you guys think interview invites will go out this week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So you guys think interview invites will go out this week?
I am hoping so, but I truly have no idea. The process is so different from SLIP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Argh! My law school just sent me an email: "In light of your application to DOJ, here's contact info for an alum who's willing to be a resource during the hiring process blah blah blah." I haven't even *told* my CSO that I applied for Honors. I'm sure DOJ tells schools who's applied and it's just pro forma and means absolutely NOTHING, but still, I totally want to read it as a sign! (Actually, I really want to put this all out of my head and concentrate on other things, but that's not going so well. Sigh.)
Not to be a douche, but you're right that it means nothing. There's a spot in the application that asks if you want DOJ to refrain from telling your school about your application. I am guessing you did not opt out and that is how the school knows.

Seriously though, keep hope alive!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:12 pm

Oh, I know the e-mail (sadly) doesn't mean anything. It's just that since last year, interview notifications went out the equivalent of this week, I'm twitchy about anything that says "DOJ Honors program" in any way! (That was what the email subject line said.)

(Although, I do love that my school offers to help with the "hiring process" just at the point where I'm probably going to be rejected... :-P)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:36 pm

If they are only taking three people for the Civil Rights division, do those without perfect resumes (i.e. me) have a chance? The numbers are finally dawning on me...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:13 pm

If we're still at "received" are we basically SOL?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

luckyduck

Bronze

Post by luckyduck » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If we're still at "received" are we basically SOL?
No. In response to an applicant's post about referred to components, the woman at OARM posted the following on the community board:

Re: Application Referred to Components
This means only that the application was referred to the components you designated. Sometimes that happens when OARM looks at an application. Sometimes it does not. Please rest assured that unless we specifically notified you that you are not eligible, then your application was referred to all the components you listed as employment preferences, whether or not there is an online status update. I'll try to get some consistency in the online displays established.

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If they are only taking three people for the Civil Rights division, do those without perfect resumes (i.e. me) have a chance? The numbers are finally dawning on me...
If you're not coming off a circuit clerkship and HYS, I was under the impression you were not competitive for civil rights.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:22 pm

the lantern wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If they are only taking three people for the Civil Rights division, do those without perfect resumes (i.e. me) have a chance? The numbers are finally dawning on me...
If you're not coming off a circuit clerkship and HYS, I was under the impression you were not competitive for civil rights.
I know of non-HYS people who didn't have clerkships and got civil rights placements in the past two years. They were incredibly dedicating to civil rights issues though and their resumes displayed that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:39 pm

Sure that wasn't Civil? I thought Civ Rights didn't hire anyone last year. I guess you could mean two years ago.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sure that wasn't Civil? I thought Civ Rights didn't hire anyone last year. I guess you could mean two years ago.
Definitely civil rights.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:54 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:39 pm

Yikes! Deana Willis just posted this--

Hi, all:

We are starting to make status changes for HP interview selections. I want to explain the process and timeline to head off the many email messages and phone calls I will otherwise receive.

Step 1: Online status change. This will advise candidates that they have been selected. It will NOT list who selected them. Most online updates will be done in the next 24 hours BUT some components may make late selections into the first two weeks of October. In mid-October, we will issue email messages to all remaining candidates advising them they were not selected.

Step 2: Email messages go out advising candidates who picked them for interviews. Each component's notification message is separate and goes only to those candidates selected by that component. If you applied to three components and get a selection message from only one, then you were not picked by the other two. If you applied for an office with various field offices, you may well be picked by more than one of those offices. If so, then you will get a notification message from each.

If your online status changes to "selected for interview," PLEASE wait for the notification email. It will identify the selecting component and provide very, very detailed instructions on what you should do next. PLEASE read the message in its entirety and follow the directions.

We will get all the initial notification messages out within 24 hours of each other. If you are selected later on (October), we'll notify you individually.

Please do not call to confirm that you were selected or not selected. If you were selected and we do not hear from you to schedule your interview (instructions in the notification email), then we will follow-up individually.

Best wishes to each of you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:45 pm

/avue crashes as crazed applicants frantically refresh their application status....

good luck, all!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:48 pm

Anyone's changed yet? If so, what component?

Mine is still at "application referred..."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:01 pm

Ok, so if your status does not change in the next 24 hours, then
1. You have not been selected for an interview.
2. You may have been selected for an interview for the components that are waiting until October, but we do not know which components these are.

Am I missing anything?

AND, there's not status change or formal notification (until October) that you have not been selected?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:06 pm

That seems right to me.

I'd be interested to hear if people's status have changed yet, and whether DOJ previously called their references.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:09 pm

Mine's still at referred to components...

This is going to be a stressful 24 hours.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mine's still at referred to components...

This is going to be a stressful 24 hours.
Agreed. I'm already having palpitations.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:14 pm

Still referred to components...

DOJ previously called at least some of my references.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School: 50s
Grades: top 5%
Journal: Secondary, E-Board, and publication
Department: EOIR
Geographic Target: Anywhere

Several internships with EOIR; worked with practitioners and legal aid; second career law student; immigration moot court.
Just got the email! *FAINTS*

"Congratulations! You have been selected for an interview for the Attorney General's Honors Program."
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got the email! *FAINTS*

"Congratulations! You have been selected for an interview for the Attorney General's Honors Program."
Congrats! Which component?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”