F100 GC or Biglaw Partner Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IAFG

Platinum

Re: F100 GC or Biglaw Partner

Post by IAFG » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I think that's all probably true. Do you have any data or personal knowledge of individual situations and outcomes?
Based on my anecdata, you end up GC making $$$ by working at a large law firm, being an all-star, then using your large-firm connections to get yourself a gig in-house. I have never personally heard of someone summering at F100, working at F100, then ending up GC. it may well happen, I've just never heard of it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:46 pm

EvilClinton wrote:Here is an anecdote for you.

One of my friends who was a 3L last year struck out at OCI, he ended up getting an in house position at a huge company. Great pay. He had an awesome summer.

THEY DID NOT GIVE HIM AN OFFER BECAUSE IN-HOUSE LEGAL DEPARTMENTS DO NOT HIRE DIRECTLY OUT OF LAW SCHOOL

He works at the local PD's office now. His position is temporary but he is hopeful that if he does well enough they will make room for him to come on permanently.
The bolded, as written, is clearly false. However, the point that I think you are trying to make--that they do not generally hire anywhere near 100% of summers--is significant. That's why I would split next summer if I took the in-house position.

EvilClinton

Bronze

Post by EvilClinton » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

One of my friends who was a 3L last year struck out at OCI, he ended up getting an in house position at a huge company. Great pay. He had an awesome summer.

THEY DID NOT GIVE HIM AN OFFER BECAUSE IN-HOUSE LEGAL DEPARTMENTS DO NOT HIRE DIRECTLY OUT OF LAW SCHOOL

He works at the local PD's office now. His position is temporary but he is hopeful that if he does well enough they will make room for him to come on permanently.
The bolded, as written, is clearly false. However, the point that I think you are trying to make--that they do not generally hire anywhere near 100% of summers--is significant. That's why I would split next summer if I took the in-house position.
Will someone back me up that the bolded is not clearly false? The only situation where they hire straight out of law school is if you are IP focused and already have a degree or experience in a technical field. And that is only a couple giant tech firms (google, apple).

Firms generally do not hire straight out of law school. Of course there are exceptions, but you are not the exception.

FattyMcFatFat

Bronze

Post by FattyMcFatFat » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:55 pm

EvilClinton wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Will someone back me up that the bolded is not clearly false? The only situation where they hire straight out of law school is if you are IP focused and already have a degree or experience in a technical field. And that is only a couple giant tech firms (google, apple).

Firms generally do not hire straight out of law school. Of course there are exceptions, but you are not the exception.
Reading isn't a strength for you, is it?

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:57 pm

EvilClinton wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, you are correct.

And the notion that they "do not generally hire... 100% of summer" is absurd. That implies that they use the summer as a feeder but just have a lower offer rate. That is not true at all; most of them don't use the summer as a feeder at all and have a zero % offer rate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EvilClinton

Bronze

Post by EvilClinton » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Reading isn't a strength for you, is it?
Why are you being such an asshole?

People are trying to help you but you just want to believe whatever you have already decided. Whatever, I hope you take the in-house position and then realize I was right.

But the chances are you have neither of these options. You are just some 0L speculating about jobs you know nothing about. Please stay out of the legal employment forum until you get a clue.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Anecdote: My father is the GC for a large corporation (~125,000 employees, competitor with many of the corporations on the list posted earlier). He has NEVER worked for a law firm but he also did not start at the corporation, he started in the government. His corporation, like many people are saying, takes summer interns but does NOT hire straight out of law school. They hire from firms and from the government.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:06 pm

I know of some large energy companies that hire straight out of law school. They process lease and other property agreements. They go to work 8 to 5. They do not make big law salaries. And, most importantly, they do not become general counsel of a fortune 100 company.

Look OP: fortune 100 companies, for the most part, like to have lean in-house departments. This means that they don't have the structural necessities to train attorneys that just graduated from law school and have never done meaningful work. They let the biglaw firms do that for them and then look for attorneys with the experience they need to manage outside counsel on particular issues and do some work inside.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anecdote: My father is the GC for a large corporation (~125,000 employees, competitor with many of the corporations on the list posted earlier). He has NEVER worked for a law firm but he also did not start at the corporation, he started in the government. His corporation, like many people are saying, takes summer interns but does NOT hire straight out of law school. They hire from firms and from the government.
Fuckin boomers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:12 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anecdote: My father is the GC for a large corporation (~125,000 employees, competitor with many of the corporations on the list posted earlier). He has NEVER worked for a law firm but he also did not start at the corporation, he started in the government. His corporation, like many people are saying, takes summer interns but does NOT hire straight out of law school. They hire from firms and from the government.
Fuckin boomers.
What?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:22 pm

EvilClinton wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Reading isn't a strength for you, is it?
Why are you being such an asshole?

People are trying to help you but you just want to believe whatever you have already decided. Whatever, I hope you take the in-house position and then realize I was right.

But the chances are you have neither of these options. You are just some 0L speculating about jobs you know nothing about. Please stay out of the legal employment forum until you get a clue.
You made a declarative statement cast in absolute terms:
EvilClinton wrote:IN-HOUSE LEGAL DEPARTMENTS DO NOT HIRE DIRECTLY OUT OF LAW SCHOOL[/b]
I observed, and you have implicitly conceded, that:
Anonymous User wrote:The bolded, as written, is clearly false.
This indisputably true statement was followed by:
Of course there are exceptions, but you are not the exception.
I am talking about a specific firm for which I have offer data. My question assumes an offer, and asks about long-run outcomes. Maybe it would help if I provided more specific information about the company, but I don't really want to do that.

EvilClinton

Bronze

Post by EvilClinton » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:40 pm

So all of that somehow gives you a license to be a dick to everyone who is trying to help you?

Honestly, I don't think you will get an offer wherever you go. You obviously lack the social skills needed to interact with other human beings. You should drop out and go into a technical field where you can be isolated in a cubicle 12 hours a day.

Good luck with life.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:51 pm

EvilClinton wrote:So all of that somehow gives you a license to be a dick to everyone who is trying to help you?

Honestly, I don't think you will get an offer wherever you go. You obviously lack the social skills needed to interact with other human beings. You should drop out and go into a technical field where you can be isolated in a cubicle 12 hours a day.

Good luck with life.
Yes. Obviously. You fail to read, make assumptions, and spew snide and condescending remarks as a consequence. I point this out. I am such a dick. Please direct me to the suicide thread, I don't want to live anymore.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:57 pm

Mce252 wrote:I know of some large energy companies that hire straight out of law school. They process lease and other property agreements. They go to work 8 to 5. They do not make big law salaries. And, most importantly, they do not become general counsel of a fortune 100 company.

Look OP: fortune 100 companies, for the most part, like to have lean in-house departments. This means that they don't have the structural necessities to train attorneys that just graduated from law school and have never done meaningful work. They let the biglaw firms do that for them and then look for attorneys with the experience they need to manage outside counsel on particular issues and do some work inside.
Thanks for this. My situation is a little bit different, but it seems like the long-run upside would be limited either way. Although, at least the starting pay is similar and the hours would be moderately more reasonable.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:57 pm

solid anon use. sounds like you're asking the smart questions, bro. after all, salary is clearly the major difference between being a biglaw partner and a F100 GC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:01 pm

fatduck wrote:solid anon use. sounds like you're asking the smart questions, bro. after all, salary is clearly the major difference between being a biglaw partner and a F100 GC.
Again, I'm not concerned so much about those particular titles. Just potential outcomes. I think it might be time to give up, though.

Edited: I appreciate that you are at least humorous when you are condescending. I'm a little humbled that I just received the fatduck treatment.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:00 pm

Don't insult people from behind the cloak of anonymity. It's a clear abuse of the feature.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mce252 wrote:I know of some large energy companies that hire straight out of law school. They process lease and other property agreements. They go to work 8 to 5. They do not make big law salaries. And, most importantly, they do not become general counsel of a fortune 100 company.

Thanks for this. My situation is a little bit different, but it seems like the long-run upside would be limited either way. Although, at least the starting pay is similar and the hours would be moderately more reasonable.

I am really surprised to hear that there are in-house opportunities for first year attorneys paying 160K. Has anyone else actually heard of a similar job opportunity?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

You have not found some sort of secret path to making in-house money without going through a firm. The kinds of in-house jobs people get right out of law school are generally not executive-track positions. E.g. HP hires people straight out of law school to do IP diligence. Those people are not on track to move into the upper levels of their in-house department.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:52 pm

Mce252 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I am really surprised to hear that there are in-house opportunities for first year attorneys paying 160K. Has anyone else actually heard of a similar job opportunity?
I know some corps that are matching Biglaw salaries, but only for laterals at this point.

jc1988

Bronze

Post by jc1988 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:19 pm

serious anecdote to help OP:

I talked to the head partner of the practice group at my summer firm about career path and asked him did he ever consider going in-house. He said he was actually considered for the GC position of a F500 company when he was still a junior partner. He wasn't offered the job at the end but he said he would have taken the job if give the offer.

Now he is a senior level partner and he thinks GC positions of similar companies pay too little and have too much headaches (especially on the regulatory front) for the amount of pay.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”