The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
splitsplat

Silver

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by splitsplat » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an interview with the Kentucky Dept of Public Advocacy (public defenders). I'm from elsewhere. Is there anything good to be said about the state of KY? Has anyone lived there before? I'm trying to get excited about the possibility of moving to a state where I will be an ethnic, religious, and (considering their senators) political minority. I know they have whisky there. Anything else to recommend it?
I think you should watch all 4 seasons of Justified in order to get an accurate picture of what Kentucky is like.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:54 pm

splitsplat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an interview with the Kentucky Dept of Public Advocacy (public defenders). I'm from elsewhere. Is there anything good to be said about the state of KY? Has anyone lived there before? I'm trying to get excited about the possibility of moving to a state where I will be an ethnic, religious, and (considering their senators) political minority. I know they have whisky there. Anything else to recommend it?
I think you should watch all 4 seasons of Justified in order to get an accurate picture of what Kentucky is like.
Is that like recommending someone watch Breaking Bad to get a good idea of what New Mexico is like?

whatsyourdeal

New

Post by whatsyourdeal » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:13 pm

iceman219 wrote:
whatsyourdeal wrote:hoping to get some advice from fellow valers:

had a callback last friday, said i would hear back from the firm by this week.

haven't heard from them this whole week. should i call today to get status? or wait till next week?

this wait is killing me :(
Personally, if I hadn't heard anything by 5pm tonight (HR types love to wait til the end of the work week), I'd work up an email to send to em first thing Monday morning. Make sure it arrives early Monday AM so it's the first thing at the top of their inbox (if you use Gmail, you can install the Boomerang extension for Chrome and schedule the email whenever you want)

But basically I'd touch base, re-express your enthusiasm with the firm, and tell them "please feel free to contact me should you need any additional information in evaluating my candidacy" (or something like that).

thanks man. gonna give it a try today then

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:05 pm

Unemployed HYS anon from a while back. I just got a sweet business/finance offer that actually pays better than market biglaw (plus I find the work more interesting). My life has done a complete 180 in a day, but I think I'm still in shock because I don't feel that different. All I can say is-- thank you, everyone. Just knowing that there were people out there like me meant something huge. I know it's a cliché, but my only advice is keep working at it. I had to fail about 100 times before I got something, and then it was my ideal offer. It really took a toll on my ego, but I just kept pushing, because, hey, what the hell else was I going to do? Good luck guys and gals.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Unemployed HYS anon from a while back. I just got a sweet business/finance offer that actually pays better than market biglaw (plus I find the work more interesting). My life has done a complete 180 in a day, but I think I'm still in shock because I don't feel that different. All I can say is-- thank you, everyone. Just knowing that there were people out there like me meant something huge. I know it's a cliché, but my only advice is keep working at it. I had to fail about 100 times before I got something, and then it was my ideal offer. It really took a toll on my ego, but I just kept pushing, because, hey, what the hell else was I going to do? Good luck guys and gals.

Congrats man... was it an MBB by any chance?

Ps: as a 1L/2L, lawstudentjobs.com was the website to check for things outside of simplicity. What about as a 3L? Is there a must check law jobs aggregator website?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Unemployed HYS anon from a while back. I just got a sweet business/finance offer that actually pays better than market biglaw (plus I find the work more interesting). My life has done a complete 180 in a day, but I think I'm still in shock because I don't feel that different. All I can say is-- thank you, everyone. Just knowing that there were people out there like me meant something huge. I know it's a cliché, but my only advice is keep working at it. I had to fail about 100 times before I got something, and then it was my ideal offer. It really took a toll on my ego, but I just kept pushing, because, hey, what the hell else was I going to do? Good luck guys and gals.

Congrats man... was it an MBB by any chance?

Ps: as a 1L/2L, lawstudentjobs.com was the website to check for things outside of simplicity. What about as a 3L? Is there a must check law jobs aggregator website?
HYS Anon: I'd rather not get into specifics, but you can assume it was either big consulting or big I-banking. Thanks for the congrats :)

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:26 pm

Congratulations dude (or dudette?)! That's awesome.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:29 pm

kalvano wrote:Congratulations dude (or dudette?)! That's awesome.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:09 pm

rad lulz wrote:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:44 am

spleenworship wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
HYS Anon: Thanks again, everyone. One other thing I should add is that if you are struggling to find work, please just cut out the negative people in your life, immediately. My (former) SO was incredibly unsympathetic throughout my entire ordeal, and it made finding work (and life in general) that much harder. Once I broke things off and starting spending time with friends, I felt much better, and I'm sure that contributed to my interviewing success. You really need some support during this time, and furthermore it's exactly times like this that make you realize who you can really rely upon.

fish tacos

Bronze

Post by fish tacos » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:57 pm

Does anyone have any tips on timing applications for non-law jobs? Obviously I went to law school to be a lawyer, but it's only rational to consider other options. For the rare jobs that are entry-level and would consider a JD a plus and not a negative (think stuff like compliance or regulatory), when should one apply? It's weird to sift through job postings, find a potential job, and then apply on the understanding that I will be tied up in law school until May. Is the answer just to wait until law school is finished?

mr. wednesday

Bronze

Post by mr. wednesday » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:12 pm

fish tacos wrote:Does anyone have any tips on timing applications for non-law jobs? Obviously I went to law school to be a lawyer, but it's only rational to consider other options. For the rare jobs that are entry-level and would consider a JD a plus and not a negative (think stuff like compliance or regulatory), when should one apply? It's weird to sift through job postings, find a potential job, and then apply on the understanding that I will be tied up in law school until May. Is the answer just to wait until law school is finished?
You could always apply, if they are advertising an entry level position. Either they say no, say yes and wait, or say no but consider you in 6 months or so. But if you are just mass mailing I'd wait until April or May.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:54 pm

fish tacos wrote:Does anyone have any tips on timing applications for non-law jobs? Obviously I went to law school to be a lawyer, but it's only rational to consider other options. For the rare jobs that are entry-level and would consider a JD a plus and not a negative (think stuff like compliance or regulatory), when should one apply? It's weird to sift through job postings, find a potential job, and then apply on the understanding that I will be tied up in law school until May. Is the answer just to wait until law school is finished?
I ended up in a JD+ compliance type position. I held off on applying to those types of jobs until after Jan. 1

I believe I had an interview in late March/hired in April. They were very accommodating about not having me start until after taking the bar this July. I'd say if you find a job posting you like/would think would suit you well then by all means apply for it now, grab an interview and talk to them from there if you can. I work with all people who went to law school so they were understanding of the situation, but I am sure all places vary.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

synergy

New

Post by synergy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I ended up in a JD+ compliance type position. I held off on applying to those types of jobs until after Jan. 1

I believe I had an interview in late March/hired in April. They were very accommodating about not having me start until after taking the bar this July. I'd say if you find a job posting you like/would think would suit you well then by all means apply for it now, grab an interview and talk to them from there if you can. I work with all people who went to law school so they were understanding of the situation, but I am sure all places vary.
Did you apply January-Februaryish and ultimately get the interview in March/April or did you apply to the job you ended up at around March? If you don't mind, could you PM me? I have a ton of questions as this is the type of position that I'm aiming for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:39 pm

Anyone have tips for non-MBB consulting (Accenture, AT Kearney, Deloitte, E&Y, etc.) Their websites aren't that helpful. Do they do formal ADC recruiting like MBB or is just specialized, like E&Y looking for tax?

fish tacos

Bronze

Post by fish tacos » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:44 pm

synergy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did you apply January-Februaryish and ultimately get the interview in March/April or did you apply to the job you ended up at around March? If you don't mind, could you PM me? I have a ton of questions as this is the type of position that I'm aiming for.
Anonymous, could you PM me as well if you don't mind dispensing some wisdom? Thanks

luckyjd

Bronze

Post by luckyjd » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:04 am

any current 3Ls actually nab callbacks through mass mailing so far? this is getting so discouraging.... sent probably 100 emails/online applications.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:07 am

luckyjd wrote:any current 3Ls actually nab callbacks through mass mailing so far? this is getting so discouraging.... sent probably 100 emails/online applications.
Just a thought but until SAs accept their offers (Nov. 1st is the deadline?) the scope for Vale-type people like us to get these jobs is going to be very slim. It sucks but keep hustling.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
luckyjd wrote:any current 3Ls actually nab callbacks through mass mailing so far? this is getting so discouraging.... sent probably 100 emails/online applications.
Just a thought but until SAs accept their offers (Nov. 1st is the deadline?) the scope for Vale-type people like us to get these jobs is going to be very slim. It sucks but keep hustling.
Last year I didn't see any measurable difference after Nov. 1

If anything, there were slightly more during 3L OCI "season" (I use that term very loosely)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:25 am

I've done the same. I'd say I've received some sort of rejection from a little less than half of those firms. Most of them just say either: (1) they've filled all of their hiring needs through their summer classes, (2) they aren't looking for any associates, or (3) they don't know their needs for the 2014 class yet.

I truly am not expecting anything from this mass mailing campaign, but like the OP I've sent about 100 apps out to firms in my region. It's more therapeutic than anything, I think.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:50 am

I have two this week, which is equal to the number I've gotten through OCI.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have tips for non-MBB consulting (Accenture, AT Kearney, Deloitte, E&Y, etc.) Their websites aren't that helpful. Do they do formal ADC recruiting like MBB or is just specialized, like E&Y looking for tax?
None of those places has as extensive of an ADC recruiting program as MBB and will want you to have a bit more substantial business experience. Of this group, your best chance for a management consulting position would probably be Deloitte S&O. Beware that they might try to bring you in at the post-undergrad level though. I had a friend who was only offered a post-undergrad position despite a 3-year advanced degree.

whatsyourdeal

New

Post by whatsyourdeal » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:18 pm

iceman219 wrote:
whatsyourdeal wrote:hoping to get some advice from fellow valers:

had a callback last friday, said i would hear back from the firm by this week.

haven't heard from them this whole week. should i call today to get status? or wait till next week?

this wait is killing me :(
Personally, if I hadn't heard anything by 5pm tonight (HR types love to wait til the end of the work week), I'd work up an email to send to em first thing Monday morning. Make sure it arrives early Monday AM so it's the first thing at the top of their inbox (if you use Gmail, you can install the Boomerang extension for Chrome and schedule the email whenever you want)

But basically I'd touch base, re-express your enthusiasm with the firm, and tell them "please feel free to contact me should you need any additional information in evaluating my candidacy" (or something like that).
Thanks iceman, I called last week for status and was told by admin that my name wasn't noticed on any rejection letters via snail mail. Told that the partners are down to the last few candidates and hopefully should have a decision by this week.

This wait is killing me...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:22 pm

Best of luck, sir. But being down to the last few names is usually a good sign.

whatsyourdeal

New

Post by whatsyourdeal » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:38 pm

kalvano wrote:Best of luck, sir. But being down to the last few names is usually a good sign.
Thanks Kalvano!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”