The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
snowpeach06

Gold

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by snowpeach06 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:08 pm

worldtraveler wrote: Can you use your extra time at work to do something to bolster your resume, like write some articles? If you really have very little to do you could just advance your own interests while collecting a paycheck for a while.
We were actually in discussions to start a blog, so this is a possibility.
Anonymous User wrote: Thank you, much appreciated. And that's a great idea actually, because at least then it might look like its a 6 month fellowship that's ending and that I'm seeking a new, permanent legal position, although if they aren't willing to do that, what you said as well about the training and them wanting more experience could also be fine in an interview. I feel you on that job search now though, it's weird to finally have landed a job, felt I was doing reasonably well, getting a paycheck, and now it's back on not just to the job search but one with a very very time sensitive deadline, with a far more geographically limited scope after relocation costs that I can't really afford to go through again, and trying to avoid looking like a red flag when pursuing another legal position.
Yup, it is rough, but all i can say is good luck. So good luck!

AJS30

Bronze

Post by AJS30 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:58 pm

Was told I should post this in here:

Not sure if this is the right forum for this post, however I am extremely annoyed and needed to express my frustration somewhere. I have been with the same mid-size firm for my 1L and 2L summer as well as last spring and this past fall ( only working 1 day a week and my check would come to $100/week). I got the position through a family friend, who I've had hardly any contact with since working as he was would work from a different office, but made an appearance yesterday. He called me into his office around 2:30pm and told me that they couldn't pay me anymore/have me come in as I am the lowest on the totem pole, blah blah and I would be the first person to call call if things got busier & maybe the possibility of discussing something after the bar. I guess I'm just upset since I'm actually one of the people who does their work, was told at the end of this past summer that they love me and hopefully we could work something out for when I graduate, and the fact that even though $100 a week isn't much, it still actually really helped me out. Now this is just one more thing I need to worry about in this last semester...I guess one plus side is 3 day weekends?

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:56 pm

Sorry to hear that. It always sucks when an employer promises you something and later changes mind, especially after all the work you did. You will always be able to take away the ability to add a line on your resume for this firm, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:21 pm

I just wanted to pass along some good news to the vale. After getting no offered in August, I am out of the vale. I haven't posted often but reading the vale helped me get through this very difficult time.

Good luck to everyone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:05 pm

For all the CA barred Valers still looking:

The Orange County, CA office of Crowell & Moring LLP, seeks a highly qualified Dedicated Associate to join our antitrust practice group.

We are searching for a hard-working, creative attorney with strong interpersonal skills, who will work well both independently and as part of a team. Candidates must have excellent academic credentials as well as highly developed communication, writing and analytical skills. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented, organized, efficient, and able to work in a fast-paced environment while meeting demanding deadlines.

Candidates must be a member of the CA Bar. This is a non-promotion track position. No prior experience is necessary. This position does not include any document review.

Interested candidates should submit their resume, transcript and cover letter through the online application system.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just wanted to pass along some good news to the vale. After getting no offered in August, I am out of the vale. I haven't posted often but reading the vale helped me get through this very difficult time.

Good luck to everyone.
Congrats bro

I know how hard it is to come back from the no offer

What did you end up with?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just wanted to pass along some good news to the vale. After getting no offered in August, I am out of the vale. I haven't posted often but reading the vale helped me get through this very difficult time.

Good luck to everyone.
Congrats!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:51 am

rad lulz wrote:

Good luck to everyone.
Congrats bro

Thank you. It honestly was one of the hardest things I've dealt with in my life, if not the hardest. Seeing people like you and others on this thread who were able to make it back from a no offer really helped me keep going when things were looking quite bleak.

I ended up with a consulting position at one of the big four accounting firms where I will be advising on regulatory compliance and general business matters.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Good luck to everyone.
Congrats bro

Thank you. It honestly was one of the hardest things I've dealt with in my life, if not the hardest. Seeing people like you and others on this thread who were able to make it back from a no offer really helped me keep going when things were looking quite bleak.

I ended up with a consulting position at one of the big four accounting firms where I will be advising on regulatory compliance and general business matters.
Hey that's pretty awesome man; those are good positions

Congrats again

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:51 am

Any advice for getting one of these consulting positions? I'm not sure what the hiring schedule is like.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:15 am

jaydizzle wrote:Any advice for getting one of these consulting positions? I'm not sure what the hiring schedule is like.
To be honest, I really don't know much about the hiring schedule. I just saw it on my school's simplicity page in November and applied. I think most consulting positions require you to go through a business case study during the interview, which I would have never been able to do well in. This position, being more legal oriented, did not require a case study and I just focused on my ability to work in a team and succeed in a collaborative work environment throughout the interview. I think that's a major focus for them.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:34 pm

jaydizzle wrote:Any advice for getting one of these consulting positions? I'm not sure what the hiring schedule is like.
they have mostly passed. it was in the fall with the mba/undergrads

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:37 am

deebs wrote:Received offer at a big4 today in their state group. Looking for any advice about career paths for jd's who went this route. I was told I'd basically just fill out different state tax returns for the first two years. Am I really going to be attractive to law firms in a couple years solely because big4 is on my resume?

I have some time to decide, and I'm also waiting on some other places. If anyone can PM me anything they know, either themselves or through friends, it would be greatly appreciated.
Do you have a tax/accounting background? One of my good friends at my T50 law school couldn't get a job at a firm his 3L, so he took the pre-req courses for a macc. They're actually fairly easy programs to get into, with a stronger job placement than straight law. Anyways, he got a gig at a regional accounting firm, ended up doing the macc part time and got into PwC as soon as he graduated. He's making pretty good bank I believe working in tax policy.

I know quite a few people who did this and they're all doing pretty well. Almost did it myself. You do have to forego law more or less, but you can have a pretty solid career at a Big 4. Its one of the few places outside of actual practice where I think a JD can be useful. You have to do some audit for a bit, but I actually think the JD/CPA is far superior to the JD/MBA, FWIW.

From my anecdotal experience, niche markets like tax and patent are way easier to break into than general law.

Edit: Just realized this is a reply from months ago. I'll leave it up because I actually think its a solid option for those still in the vale. Better than the JD/MBA route, at least.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Crash32

New

Post by Crash32 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Good luck to everyone.
Congrats bro

Is it possible for you to PM me regarding your decision process for this? This is a route that I am seriously considering, because I have a friend in the industry, but I really am interested in just getting more information from a law student who made this decision

Thanks

Insanity

New

Post by Insanity » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:46 pm

I need help.

I'm currently contemplating whether to stick with law school or not.

For current 3Ls or those who graduated with a median GPA, from T30 or higher ranked school, with 2 years or less professional experience but not K-JD,

I would really appreciate if you could PM me and perhaps share your job hunting stories via gchat.

If you are concerned about gmail account etc,

I can provide you with a gmail account to preserve your anonymity.

I know I'm asking a lot when it is already a long shot that I might actually be connected with someone who's willing to spend their time for a complete stranger like me. But I also request that if you are going to PM me, you consider yourself fairly unbiased, you feel fairly informed about the general trend, or that you feel that your experience is not atypical of someone with your credentials.

I might have an idea of what the general consensus is, but I highly value your personal perspective based on your unique experience. Thank you.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:06 pm

Insanity wrote:I need help.

I'm currently contemplating whether to stick with law school or not.

For current 3Ls or those who graduated with a median GPA, from T30 or higher ranked school, with 2 years or less professional experience but not K-JD,

I would really appreciate if you could PM me and perhaps share your job hunting stories via gchat.

If you are concerned about gmail account etc,

I can provide you with a gmail account to preserve your anonymity.

I know I'm asking a lot when it is already a long shot that I might actually be connected with someone who's willing to spend their time for a complete stranger like me. But I also request that if you are going to PM me, you consider yourself fairly unbiased, you feel fairly informed about the general trend, or that you feel that your experience is not atypical of someone with your credentials.

I might have an idea of what the general consensus is, but I highly value your personal perspective based on your unique experience. Thank you.
What yr are you

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:08 pm

rad lulz wrote:What yr are you
A 1L

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:09 pm

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:42 pm

Anon b/c I've posted enough info on TLS to out myself, but I need to vent.

2013 grad. My school posted a follow up fellowship position, mainly to bolster their US News & NALP employment stats. I didn't get one. Very depressed that even my school doesn't want to employ me to game their numbers.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:56 pm

[quotem
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anon b/c I've posted enough info on TLS to out myself, but I need to vent.

2013 grad. My school posted a follow up fellowship position, mainly to bolster their US News & NALP employment stats. I didn't get one. Very depressed that even my school doesn't want to employ me to game their numbers.
Do you have contact with any of your profs from law school? Some of them hire post-grad research assistants and there might be a position for you. It's not amazing, but better than the vale.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:16 pm

3rd round of interviews for a non profit. Hold your breath, fuckers.

jess

Post by jess » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:03 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:26 pm

bjsesq wrote:3rd round of interviews for a non profit. Hold your breath, fuckers.
Good luck brother. Kill it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:27 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Job Posting

Corporate Associate
Denver, CO, US
Contact Information

Jamie Olberding
jolberding@bhfs.com
Description

The Denver office of Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck is seeking an entry level (2014 grad) corporate transactional associate. This position includes mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity financings, entity formation and restructuring, securities offerings and SEC matters. Excellent academic performance, strong writing and analytical skills, interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment required.

Please submit your cover letter, resume and transcript to Jamie Olberding, Attorney Recruiter, at jolberding@bhfs.com. EOE
If you have any questions regarding attorney positions at Brownstein, please email Jamie Olberding, at jolberding@bhfs.com

Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck is an equal opportunity employer

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”