The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kronk

Diamond

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Kronk » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:14 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Kronk wrote:Spleen, didn't you say a PD office would let you do temp work?
Yup. If I can't find another job Ill take one of them at the end of this week. They'll end after bar results come out and I'll have to apply for jobs again then.

Kind of praying the non PD jobs I applied to come through before then though, because they have actual post bar employment, and I wouldn't have to move. After a year or two I'll be able to apply directly to felonies at the PDs office here in town.
You keep making it sound like you're in dire straights and never going to get your dream PD job :lol: :lol: I bet after your contract period they rehire you and you never have to apply for jerbs again.

But I do approve of your bitter pessimism. That's right up my alley and something I totally understand so I can't give you too much shit for it.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:57 pm

About to call as directed and find out if I have a non-PD job offer. Decent amount of hearings, motions practice. Occasional court. Occasional, but rare, bench trials.

If I get it I'll put in two years and then apply for PDs offices.

Back in half an hour.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:28 pm

Ok. It's not a straight up job offer. It's... Well, if you really want details PM me. But the short version is: not out of the vale yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:31 pm

I'm still waiting on my toes to hear back from the agency that said they would likely extend an offer to me. Last message I got today was that she would be back to me in the next few days. I'm not sure how much I can panic or second guess everything since sending my additional docs.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:32 pm

chrisbru wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
sparty99 wrote:Consulting kind of sucks though. It is not the holy grail nor is it easy to get into even if you have a JD.
Lol no it doesn't suck any more than law does. No one claimed its the holy grail, nor is it easy to get into. It is, however, an option for some.
Have you done consulting? It's highly overrated. Many people bring up this option on this thread as if it's their savior from not getting Big Law. Everyone slow your rolls on the consulting gigs. There are many fields in business that are better than consulting.
I turned down a consulting job to take the job I'm in now. I have a plethora of friends who are in or have been in consulting roles. YES, I know what consultants do and how satisfied they are with their jobs. Have YOU done consulting?

Look, we already talked about this. No one said it's the holy grail. No one said its a savior from not getting Big Law. And no one said it was the best field in business. Someone asked questions about consulting, and we answered. Chill.

FWIW - Consulting varies widely, as I already stated. One of my buddy's made $120k and travelled Monday-Thursday EVERY WEEK. Others worked for "local" solutions companies and all of their projects were within 40 miles, so they never commuted more than an hour to work, but only made about $60k (albeit in Des Moines, which is decent money there). You can't just blanket state that consulting is "highly overrated" anymore than someone who hasn't gone to law school can state that being an attorney is "highly overrated." 90% of my consulting friends are happy and satisfied with their jobs, and make enough money to enjoy their lives outside of work. So slow your roll on the hate of everything.
So basically what you are saying is that you have not done management consulting. Okay.

Big Law is also highly overrated. Especially on the east coast. However, I never meant my comment to spark a debate between which is better Big Law or Management Consulting. However, I am arguing that consulting kind of sucks and that there are jobs outside of that industry. This might come to a suprise to many as this industry is consistently talked about in this thread as an alternative to people who did not get Big Law. If I didn't get Big Law, sure, fine I would try consulting. But the industry is not roses as it appears.

Many of the things that junior consultants do is mind numbing grunt work. Building powerpoint decks, doing excel pivot tables. Hardly exciting. The hours might not be east coast big hours. But they can be small town big law hours, where you are working 10 to 12 hours a day. And certainly when there are project deadlines, you will feel the grind. The exit options out of consulting are not as great as the industry claims it to be. You are usually a generalist. The salary can be good, but you can get similar salary in other jobs, especially if you have finance skills. You can do Corporate Strategy in-house. You can do IT implementation for JD Edwards. Additionally, it is rare that you will make six figures directly out of law school unless you went to Harvard-Stanford like school or have prior work experience. If directly out of undergrad, you are looking at $40-70k. Additionally, in consulting you have to deal with billing hours, clients, face-time, and other bs. There are benefits in consulting, but again, it is highly overrated.

There are many companies similar to consulting firms without the bs. For example, you can work at Digitas as an analyst. You can work as a Real Estate Associate at Jones Lang LaSalle. If you want consulting, fine. Do that. But I'm here to tell everyone, that there are other things you can do with your JD since y'all seem to think this is your savior to not getting BigLaw (Big 4 Tax is also not your savior)/

And to that home girl, let's set the record straight, at no time have I talked about suicide, how i'm depreesed about finding a job, or any such matter. But for some reason you tried calling me out as being negative. ha! The nerves!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:02 pm

Shit, I always thought that in consulting you made quick decisions that affect billions of dollars and millions of lives. Time to send that application to Digitas and LaSalle, where new associates actually do ground-breaking work.

jess

Post by jess » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:05 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:08 pm

jesus that's less than minimum wage

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:38 pm

Why does Gtown have such shitty funding? Pretty sure every other T14 offers more than 1k a month, and requires you to do actual work, not paying you minimum wage to write an article. That would be pretty useless.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Shit, I always thought that in consulting you made quick decisions that affect billions of dollars and millions of lives. Time to send that application to Digitas and LaSalle, where new associates actually do ground-breaking work.
Clearly you thought wrong.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:50 pm

worldtraveler wrote:Why does Gtown have such shitty funding? Pretty sure every other T14 offers more than 1k a month, and requires you to do actual work, not paying you minimum wage to write an article. That would be pretty useless.
Yeah, some of my friends did the Berk one and it doesn't seem half bad.

jess

Post by jess » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:54 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm still waiting on my toes to hear back from the agency that said they would likely extend an offer to me. Last message I got today was that she would be back to me in the next few days. I'm not sure how much I can panic or second guess everything since sending my additional docs.
Good luck and relax.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:55 pm

Jessuf wrote:Congrats :?: , spleen!

Just got this from my school:

Stuff.
So I guess if I'm still unemployed come August, I will be living with my mom in San Diego and starting to build a solo practice??? Or writing a LR article while applying for jobs?
1). Thanks, but no congrats until I have an offer in my grubby little hands. Also, I still haven't decided if this new "offer" is better than the volunteer offer I got from the PDs.

2). I guess this thing from your school is better than nothing, and if you have nothing else I would take advantage of it. But hopefully you'll have something else before then because that's not much money.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:17 pm

sparty99 wrote:
*rabble rabble rabble*
So basically what you are saying is that you have not done management consulting. Okay.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:50 pm

sparty99 wrote:And to that home girl, let's set the record straight, at no time have I talked about suicide, how i'm depreesed about finding a job, or any such matter. But for some reason you tried calling me out as being negative. ha! The nerves!
What does being negative have to do with being suicidal or depressed? Your posting is very negative. That's all I said and its pretty well supported.

Good luck spleen!!!!

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:56 pm

chrisbru wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
*rabble rabble rabble*
Pfft. Wrong. Try again.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:58 pm

Kronk wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:Why does Gtown have such shitty funding? Pretty sure every other T14 offers more than 1k a month, and requires you to do actual work, not paying you minimum wage to write an article. That would be pretty useless.
Yeah, some of my friends did the Berk one and it doesn't seem half bad.
It could just be me but I don't know a single person on the Berkeley one who isn't either getting hired by their organization or hasn't found a pretty awesome job for after it ends. But that one pays like 2 or 3 times what GULC is trying to do.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:27 pm

Yea this is very surprising. Miami offers $2,500 a month for 6 months and they place you in a PI org. Also, apparently a good portion of people end up getting offers from their placements.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:32 pm

gdane wrote:
Yea this is very surprising. Miami offers $2,500 a month for 6 months and they place you in a PI org. Also, apparently a good portion of people end up getting offers from their placements.
Wow, thats really solid Fordham's is pretty terrible.

jess

Post by jess » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:41 pm

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:08 pm

Jessuf wrote:That's pretty decent, gdane. Is that guaranteed to everyone who wants it? I heard UVA is $40k/year or something.
As far as I know, Miami only has funding for like 35 - 40 people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:50 pm

Just for comparison UChicago gives 40k to people who do a project-based fellowship and 25k (or something around that number) for bridge fellowships in PI orgs.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:44 pm

Ah I see so GULC offers it to everyone but has shit funding

Sorry jessuf, that's disappointing

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:50 pm

…I don't even know what my school does, if they even do anything.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”