The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:38 pm

I pulled my dismal GPA to a 3.006. Should I even bother putting that on the resume? Aiming for PD/Legal Aid, which I know are less grades-conscious. I go to a T30.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:00 pm

fed d court clerkship interview tomorrow. two profs spoke to the guy today. wish me luck.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:08 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:fed d court clerkship interview tomorrow. two profs spoke to the guy today. wish me luck.
Best of luck. You will be great.

Druid

Silver

Post by Druid » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I pulled my dismal GPA to a 3.006. Should I even bother putting that on the resume? Aiming for PD/Legal Aid, which I know are less grades-conscious. I go to a T30.
Are you sending your transcript with it?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I pulled my dismal GPA to a 3.006. Should I even bother putting that on the resume? Aiming for PD/Legal Aid, which I know are less grades-conscious. I go to a T30.
I'd put it

I'm afraid they'd assume it's worse if not

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:13 pm

rad lulz wrote:
I'd put it

Nonprofits don't really expect to see GPAs on people's resumes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:59 am

rad lulz wrote:
I'd put it

Does this also apply to a 3L planning to mass mail midsize firms? T10 w/ ~3.2.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:58 pm

The solo I poasted about a few pages ago rescheduled with me. Great. Then they needed to go out of town for an emergency. Fine. Life happens. Re-rescheduled. Only they forgot about the the re-rescheduling. So. Pissed. Right meow.

Interview on Monday with doc-review. Not sure if I wanna reschedule the solo, but kinda wanna avoid doc review if I can. Tips bros? I'm thinking of doing doc rev and legal aid volunteering cases to get experience.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:08 pm

rad lulz wrote:
I'd put it

Why? All it's doing is emphasizing something bad that PI employers won't even think to care about in the first place.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jess

Post by jess » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:12 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:23 pm

Jessuf wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:The solo I poasted about a few pages ago rescheduled with me. Great. Then they needed to go out of town for an emergency. Fine. Life happens. Re-rescheduled. Only they forgot about the the re-rescheduling. So. Pissed. Right meow.

Interview on Monday with doc-review. Not sure if I wanna reschedule the solo, but kinda wanna avoid doc review if I can. Tips bros? I'm thinking of doing doc rev and legal aid volunteering cases to get experience.
Sorry, bike <3

Maybe do doc review + legal aid but only put legal aid on your résumé?

That's the plan.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:39 pm

interview with fed judge went well. said it would take a few weeks to let me know, though.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:29 pm

What do you guys think of making a joke in a thank you note for an interview? I just had my second interview with a small consulting firm that does government affairs work (3 people in the DC office, 5 or so more in Ohio - where I went to school). The woman who owns the firm is in her mid-to-late 30's, and the exact sort of person I would be friends with. She seems to run a casual work environment (they work from a row house in DC, with a big sectional, and bedrooms upstairs for when the Ohio staff comes into town), and allow all sorts of flexibility (you can work from home and drive in at 10 to miss traffic).

When she asked me how I stay organized, I said "I'm a big list person" and she basically said OMG ME TOO, it's the best! And do you ever write stuff on it you already did just to cross it out again?! Ect. The whole interview seemed fairly casual (although, I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake by talking fairly casually, I was just following her lead). Anyway, do you think it would be appropriate and maybe make me stand out if at the end of the thank you note I said something along the lines of... P.S - I am crossing "Send Thank You Note" off my to-do list right now? Or is that just unprofessional? I REALLY want this job. It just seems like the perfect work environment for me (I'm a very casual person) and a really great learning experience. So, I don't want to mess it up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:35 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

gfunk01

New

Post by gfunk01 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:38 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:What do you guys think of making a joke in a thank you note for an interview? I just had my second interview with a small consulting firm that does government affairs work (3 people in the DC office, 5 or so more in Ohio - where I went to school). The woman who owns the firm is in her mid-to-late 30's, and the exact sort of person I would be friends with. She seems to run a casual work environment (they work from a row house in DC, with a big sectional, and bedrooms upstairs for when the Ohio staff comes into town), and allow all sorts of flexibility (you can work from home and drive in at 10 to miss traffic).

When she asked me how I stay organized, I said "I'm a big list person" and she basically said OMG ME TOO, it's the best! And do you ever write stuff on it you already did just to cross it out again?! Ect. The whole interview seemed fairly casual (although, I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake by talking fairly casually, I was just following her lead). Anyway, do you think it would be appropriate and maybe make me stand out if at the end of the thank you note I said something along the lines of... P.S - I am crossing "Send Thank You Note" off my to-do list right now? Or is that just unprofessional? I REALLY want this job. It just seems like the perfect work environment for me (I'm a very casual person) and a really great learning experience. So, I don't want to mess it up.
I'd say go for it if you believe the person will remember that aspect of the conversation. It would make your thank you note actually stand out from the generic ones usually sent.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:57 pm

rad lulz wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:What do you guys think of making a joke in a thank you note for an interview? I just had my second interview with a small consulting firm that does government affairs work (3 people in the DC office, 5 or so more in Ohio - where I went to school). The woman who owns the firm is in her mid-to-late 30's, and the exact sort of person I would be friends with. She seems to run a casual work environment (they work from a row house in DC, with a big sectional, and bedrooms upstairs for when the Ohio staff comes into town), and allow all sorts of flexibility (you can work from home and drive in at 10 to miss traffic).

Depends what the joke is

This dude once swore by #3 pencils and gave me one at the end of my interview after we talked ab it

Wrote Ty note in #3 pencil

Got offer
That's encouraging. I think I'm gonna go for it. I think that the interviewer would maybe appreciate the joke, and I'm hoping she'll just hire me because she likes me. I mean, I'm qualified - but since it's such a small team, I'm guessing that liking someone is more important.

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:42 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
Jessuf wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:The solo I poasted about a few pages ago rescheduled with me. Great. Then they needed to go out of town for an emergency. Fine. Life happens. Re-rescheduled. Only they forgot about the the re-rescheduling. So. Pissed. Right meow.

Sorry, bike <3

That's the plan.
I was planning on doing both but I've had five doc review projects fall apart at the company's end in the past six weeks. Legal Aid has been far more beneficial (but also, not getting paid blows a lot).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:47 pm

Tanicius wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
I'd put it

Why? All it's doing is emphasizing something bad that PI employers won't even think to care about in the first place.
BUMP. Any other perspectives? I worried that employers will assume the worst if i put nothing on there for gpa, but on the other hand, a 3.006 is nothing to be proud of. :|

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:53 pm

Again, PI employers are highly unlikely to assume shit from the fact that your GPA isn 't listed on your resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
I'd put it

BUMP. Any other perspectives? I worried that employers will assume the worst if i put nothing on there for gpa, but on the other hand, a 3.006 is nothing to be proud of. :|
I wouldn't put it. I had a 3.3 and I put it on my resume and I certainly don't think it helped me any. When I took it off I noticed I received way more interviews, including from firms and places that would probably generally be considered out of my reach. If places asked for my transcripts than they could glean my GPA and trends from there. I don't think people will assume it is TERRIBLE if you don't put it on, rather just that you are not top 1/3. IMO anywhere below top 1/3, unless your school has high median, is worth considering leaving off. Entirely anecdotal -- my friend got a ton of callbacks and even an offer from 2L OCI despite his 2.8 (not IP). One attorney in a callback even called out his GPA and mentioned he was surprised he got a callback, but was glad because his work experience and other qualifications were ideal and he got that offer.

As others have said, with PI you have even more leeway to leave it off.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:55 pm

Has anyone interviewed with U.S. Customs office of Regulations and Rulings and heard back yet?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:58 pm

dresden doll wrote:Again, PI employers are highly unlikely to assume shit from the fact that your GPA isn 't listed on your resume.
Yeah I would leave it off for PI, put it on for firms.

By putting it on there you are stating that it matters. PI will likely disagree with that.

Also all these boomer interviewers don't seem to know about grade inflation. I had a 3.25 which was bottom half, and several interviewers, especially small town dudes, thought that was fucking outstanding. I said nothing.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:45 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
Jessuf wrote:

Sorry, bike <3

That's the plan.
This sounds better than dumb unorganized solo.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:37 pm

There's a lot in this thread and I haven't kept up but just want to wish everyone luck with the job endeavors this summer!
I'm studying for the CA bar and then going abroad to get married in August so job searching is on the backburner for now.
Anyone managing to job search while studying for the bar? Someone invited me to a networking event the other night but I have too much going on to get my networking head on and attend.

gfunk01

New

Post by gfunk01 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:15 am

I'm also studying for the CA bar and searching for job. Already had a few interviews, and I will be flying out to DC in a couple weeks (unfortunately at my own expense since fed gov) for callback. I'm not dealing w/ getting married or anything like that and living at home w/ my parents, so have a lot less stresses thankfully. Still really would like a job and still waiting to hear back from NYC to see if I have budget approval for a position, so still floating in the vale.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”