The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
andythefir

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby andythefir » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
andythefir wrote:
Have you passed any bar?Have you moved your payments to an income based plan?

I passed my state bar. Been looking for anything I can but my schools CSO is worse than useless and have basically just told me to fuck off when I ask for help. Every dollar I earn goes to keeping a roof over my head so even ibr is too much. I'm looking for retail work but haven't been able to find anything. I don't have health insurance which is giving me panic attacks on top of everything else. I've sold most of my stuff on craigslist at this point, most of the money I had saved from my SA went to paying for the bar and Barbri which has been a massive waste of time and money. If i had been working during that time I'd be way better off now. I don't know how much more of this I can take.

I’m sorry you’re in this position. New Mexico’s 5th DA is hiring (http://nmdas.com/districts/fifth/index.html). Check New Mexico’s bar bulletin, there are usually several entry level job postings per week (https://www.nmbar.org/Nmstatebar/Public ... letin.aspx). You can start right away if you’ve passed the bar anywhere. I’m happy to answer any questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:05 pm

I'm thinking about sending resumes into my home-market firms because idk if I can get a job in my PI field straight out of law school. I've got decent stats (top 10% @ lower t14) but a 100% PI resume/transcript. How do I do a halfway-convincing cover letter that says 'I want to be a lit associate in your secondary market'?"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:53 pm

Hey, the BYU bank isn't working anymore w/ the login provided.

notDINGBAT

Postby notDINGBAT » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So when does it become appropriate to start mass mailing smaller to mid-size firms in my city? I've been told most don't know what their needs will be until early next year. Or should I start to cultivate those relationships?

cultivate those relationships, don't apply yet

What is good, general advice for how to cultivate relationships? I've never really known how to do that/what to say.

- look up any alumni, friends-of-friends, church/synagogue/mosque people, anyone with even the slightest connection who works as an attorney (preferably partner, but anyone will do), send a personalized email saying you're a law student, you're interested in their area of law (and why) and ask if they'd be willing to talk to you about their practice.
Some won't answer, some might give you a few minutes on the phone, but some will meet you for coffee or lunch. When I was a 1L, one partner invited me to an event at his firm and introduced me to other partners, including the hiring partner. As a practicing attorney, I'm meeting a student who reached out to me later today.
- ask questions. you're not begging for a job (if they want to help, they'll offer), you're looking to learn.
- near the end, ask if you can continue to reach out to them, e.g. if you have more questions
- send a thank you email shortly after
- sporadically reach out, just so they don't forget who you are. Maybe you read an article they'd find interesting, or you have a technical issue you (pretend you) don't understand, or maybe you send a personal update.

Most of this will go nowhere, but you only need one. The law student I'm meeting with later I'll probably never see again. But if the student appears smart and capable, well, if we have an opportunity to add someone in the future, then we'll have a possible candidate.
Realistically, based on my expectations for the firm, I don't see us adding anyone in 2018, but a member of the class of 2019 would be well-advised to reach out to me now and stay on my radar.

Return to “Legal Employment”