Skrillex Haircut Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kalvano

Diamond

Re: Skrillex Haircut

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:People on this board are lemmings, so I wouldn't give them too much credit. I think a non-traditional haircut like the one in the OP would be fine for some more progressive legal employers if you dress professionally. Tattoos/piercings maybe less so. But no, not everywhere requires you to look like Hilary Clinton.

Keep in mind though, if you are someone interesting enough to have that haircut, you probably don't want to work at Biglaw in the first place.

Solid anon use.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:41 pm

delusional wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:People on this board are lemmings, so I wouldn't give them too much credit. I think a non-traditional haircut like the one in the OP would be fine for some more progressive legal employers if you dress professionally. Tattoos/piercings maybe less so. But no, not everywhere requires you to look like Hilary Clinton.

Keep in mind though, if you are someone interesting enough to have that haircut, you probably don't want to work at Biglaw in the first place.
Because one can generally judge how interesting a person is by his or her haircut.
To be fair, I know lots of interesting people on food stamps.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:41 pm

There are legal employers that probably won't perceive the hair negatively, but given the level of competition for any job in the market right now, it's something you should save for after you get the job, not before.

alphasteve

Diamond

Post by alphasteve » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:43 pm

Paging thesealocust.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Keep in mind though, if you are someone interesting enough to have that haircut, you probably don't want to work at Biglaw in the first place.
This is my thought as well. Or at least, not that merely wanting it means you wouldn't be happy in a large law firm environment, but feeling oppressed/dissatisfied with needing to tone down the hair may be an indicator that biglaw is not going to make you happy or comfortable. Add the fact that non-biglaw jobs that either can service law school debt or are LRAP eligible are very difficult to secure as a recent grad...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:46 pm

rayiner wrote:

There are legal employers that probably won't perceive the hair negatively, but given the level of competition for any job in the market right now, it's something you should save for after you get the job, not before.

I'm guessing there probably a tiny handful that would even considering hiring someone like that. And good luck figuring out who those are.

That kind of hair just isn't okay in professional jobs.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:51 pm

SR_B wrote:People on this board are lemmings, so I wouldn't give them too much credit. I think a non-traditional haircut like the one in the OP would be fine for some more progressive legal employers if you dress professionally. Tattoos/piercings maybe less so. But no, not everywhere requires you to look like Hilary Clinton.

this sort of hipster mentality makes me want to vomit. your hair does not make you interesting. If you think it does, you are probably tremendously uninteresting. if you can't have Hillary Clinton hair and be exactly the same "interesting" person you always were, then you were a fraud

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:52 pm

Thanks for the advice. This is all valuable information that will inform, but not dictate, my future decisions. Obviously, there's more to the decision than hair.

If you who present yourself in a more conventional manner, and have done so all your life, it might be hard to see where I'm coming from. I'm laughing at the jokes, but I have to admit that some of the jabs sting.

I'm being told that the way I look is unacceptable. That I should take my physical appearance and conform it to the wants and needs of others. It's a hard thing to hear.

I'd love to hear more about jmhendri's OCI experience.
I had an alternative haircut through OCI too. Got an offer from 3 V5. I think they appreciated my spunk and fresh perspective.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the advice. This is all valuable information that will inform, but not dictate, my future decisions. Obviously, there's more to the decision than hair.

If you who present yourself in a more conventional manner, and have done so all your life, it might be hard to see where I'm coming from. I'm laughing at the jokes, but I have to admit that some of the jabs sting.

I'm being told that the way I look is unacceptable. That I should take my physical appearance and conform it to the wants and needs of others. It's a hard thing to hear.

I had an alternative haircut through OCI too. Got an offer from 3 V5. I think they appreciated my spunk and fresh perspective.

No one said your hair is unacceptable, they said it's unacceptable for the legal profession. You can't have a haircut like that in a professional environment. It sort of bothers me that you need this explained to you.

The law is exceptionally conformist. If that's going to bother you, don't be a lawyer. The legal profession relies on precedent and "that's the way we've always done it."

Conformity is typically the cost of a well-paying professional jobs. Welcome to the real world.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:59 pm

op wrote:I'd love to hear more about jmhendri's OCI experience.
lolno, jk, I have nice hair. Also, I'd be willing to bet no V5 screeners have ever equated a Skrillex-inspired haircut with valuable fresh perspective. Sorry lady.
Last edited by jmhendri on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the advice. This is all valuable information that will inform, but not dictate, my future decisions. Obviously, there's more to the decision than hair.

Try hearing "This year, we've interviewed an exceptionally large number of qualified candidates, and we've had to make difficult choices. We regret that we are unable to extend an offer for further interviews at this time." 29 times.
I know nothing about JmHendri, but I assure you that it involves a T6 and exceptional grades. All those people are enamored of their interview skills, etc.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:00 pm

This has got to be a flame. No one actually thinks they can work in a service industry without having to change their appearance to conform to the expectations of the clients.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:00 pm

fwiw I have landed several v50 offers despite having full sleeve tattoos on both arms. Two of the firms that have offered me definitely saw the tattoos at their respective CB lunch/dinner.

Maybe tattoos are more OK than a haircut, though, since they are able to be covered up and are not capable of being removed (not ones this big anyway).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:00 pm

I'd also like to point out that OP's hairdo is just plain ugly.

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:01 pm

existenz wrote:I'd also like to point out that OP's hairdo is just plain ugly.
THIS

brendal

New

Post by brendal » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:10 pm

I got rid of some crazy piercings & purple hair before going to law school. Guess what? I didn't lose my identity or turn into some sort of corporate automaton or whatever it is you're afraid of. Like others have said, it doesn't make sense to base your self worth and identity on your appearance alone.

There are several reasons you're going to want to look like a lawyer. Mainly: (1) You don't want to bias a judge/jury/anyone against your client because they don't like your appearance. And yes, that does happen. It's not fair, maybe, but you have a duty to your client that outweighs your interest in crazy hair. (2) You want people to look at you and think "this person is a competent lawyer" rather than "this person is a rebellious teenager." Again, it might not be fair, but people make these assumptions and these assumptions will affect your career. It's the old "dress for the job you want" saying, yes?

There are plenty of careers out there where you can keep your hairdo. Law--with the exception of a very few positions--is probably not one of them. Keep your personality. Scratch the Skrillex.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:11 pm

OP is edgy enough to not like Skrillex, right? Just using Skrillex as a reference for non-hip people, right?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:13 pm

This is like an exaggerated version of the detractors in the men's OCI attire thread. TLS: "Yeah, you should probably get black cap toes if you're going to buy a pair." Poster: "But I don't want to work somewhere that doesn't let me wear blue loafers." Detractor: "Dont listen to these corporate drones! I went to OCI in assless chaps and got all ten V10s."

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:14 pm

I really don't think the OP needs to be heaped on like this.

OP, the proper way to think about the issue is to realize that law is to a great extent about selling a particular image. Your client isn't just paying for an answer to a question, your client is paying for the peace of mind that he derives from the image you're selling.

There are many contexts in which an alternative hairstyle is acceptable and projects an image that is acceptable. You'd have no trouble with that haircut as say a software engineer, where your job was to sell code not your image. But in law a traditional image is part of the product that clients are buying, and they'll be less inclined to buy from you if you don't give them that image.
Last edited by rayiner on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:15 pm

rayiner wrote:I really don't think the OP needs to be heaped on like this. She's probably some 21 year old kid, ease up guys.

OP, the proper way to think about the issue is to realize that law is to a great extent about selling a particular image. Your client isn't just paying for an answer to a question, your client is paying for the peace of mind that he derives from the image you're selling.

There are many contexts in which an alternative hairstyle is acceptable and projects an image that is acceptable. You'd have no trouble with that haircut as say a software engineer, where your job was to sell code not your image. But in law a traditional image is part of the product that clients are buying, and they'll be less inclined to buy from you if you don't give them that image.
QF Brown knighting.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
rayiner wrote:I really don't think the OP needs to be heaped on like this. She's probably some 21 year old kid, ease up guys.

QF Brown knighting.
I lol'd.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:22 pm

Thanks, this helps.

For the record, I'm not saying I'm going to keep my hair the way it is. I value all the advice. I just wish some of you would keep the derogatory comments out of it.

lr1995

New

Post by lr1995 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:30 pm

Bronte wrote:This is like an exaggerated version of the detractors in the men's OCI attire thread. TLS: "Yeah, you should probably get black cap toes if you're going to buy a pair." Poster: "But I don't want to work somewhere that doesn't let me wear blue loafers." Detractor: "Dont listen to these corporate drones! I went to OCI in assless chaps and got all ten V10s."
LOL so true. I've been on TLS for a while without ever saying a word but that's funny.

OP, I personally like the hair, a friend of mine has a similar haircut and she looks really good, she also works at a pet supply shop. There may actually be some anecdotal evidence somewhere that someone somehow managed to pull off that kind of haircut and still work for a firm, but the bottom line is your clients most probably won't appreciate it and that means no money for you. If that hair is worth giving up some serious $$$, then keep it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”