(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:41 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

legalese_retard

Re: 2-year v. 1-year clerkships?

Postby legalese_retard » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:04 am

ajax adonis wrote:From those who have gone through the process, is a 2-year clerkship typically less or more competitive? Why so?

Pre-2008, a one-year clerkship was significantly more competitive than a 2-year clerkship. I still think a one-year clerkship is more competitive, but now only slightly.

Most applicants already have offers from their summer firms prior to their clerkship. These firms are probably open to a 2-year clerkship, but prefer having their associates go for a one-year clerkship. Clerkship experience is great, but I don't think you get a significant experience benefit clerking for more than a year. Your first year, you will be learning about the different motions, orders, and rules you will have to deal with on a daily basis. During your second year, you will be more efficient and start handling the same things over and over. You may get a curveball motion or obscure rule thrown at you, but nothing worth the extra time clerking.

Return to “Legal Employment”