Debevoise CB --> Offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Debevoise CB --> Offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:47 pm

I had my callback at Debevoise last Friday and am wondering if I should be worried that I haven't heard anything? I thought my interviews went off without a hitch, but you never know.

Anonymous User

Re: Debevoise CB --> Offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had my callback at Debevoise last Friday and am wondering if I should be worried that I haven't heard anything? I thought my interviews went off without a hitch, but you never know.

I have an offer from Debevoise from a mass mail earlier in the summer. I got my offer exactly one week after my call back, so I wouldn't be worried yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had my callback at Debevoise last Friday and am wondering if I should be worried that I haven't heard anything? I thought my interviews went off without a hitch, but you never know.

I have an offer from Debevoise from a mass mail earlier in the summer. I got my offer exactly one week after my call back, so I wouldn't be worried yet.

+1, exactly the same

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:42 pm

For those who have been on Debevoise callbacks, are the callbacks just 3 rounds of 35 minute interviews with partners and senior level associates, followed by lunch w/ junior associates?

Did you find that the interviews were similar to screeners?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those who have been on Debevoise callbacks, are the callbacks just 3 rounds of 35 minute interviews with partners and senior level associates, followed by lunch w/ junior associates?

I had my CB monday, all my interviews were long-winded, so it ended up being a 45min-1hr-45min interview plus coffee with juniors (i did it in the afternoon)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those who have been on Debevoise callbacks, are the callbacks just 3 rounds of 35 minute interviews with partners and senior level associates, followed by lunch w/ junior associates?

Yes to structure/schedule.
Variation from screeners:
1) Some of my in-office interviews went more in-depth regarding legal issues I am interested in or have studied. Personally, it felt like it was 40% conversational and 60% intellectual evaluation, which I guess is kind of in line with the firm's reputation for being a little more academic. MIght just be my experience, but that was a little different for me from screeners and other CBs.
2) Lunch here was similar to everywhere else. Potential for long, open-ended discussion. Enjoy and relax, but not too much.

Edit: Most of my interviews went long as well, and I've heard of the same thing for others.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:00 pm

OP here: can confirm that yes, it took a week! ;)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: can confirm that yes, it took a week! ;)

Congrats OP!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:52 pm

Offer tonight (yes, sunday night). CB last monday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:25 pm

Any news on DC CBs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:39 pm

Congrats guys! Any general tips? My CB is this week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Offer tonight (yes, sunday night). CB last monday.

Ive heard the interviews are more intellectually-based in nature compared to other more personality-based callbacks. Any truth to this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Offer tonight (yes, sunday night). CB last monday.

Ive heard the interviews are more intellectually-based in nature compared to other more personality-based callbacks. Any truth to this?

Seemingly so:

Anonymous User wrote:1) Some of my in-office interviews went more in-depth regarding legal issues I am interested in or have studied. Personally, it felt like it was 40% conversational and 60% intellectual evaluation, which I guess is kind of in line with the firm's reputation for being a little more academic. Might just be my experience, but that was a little different for me from screeners and other CBs.
2) Lunch here was similar to everywhere else. Potential for long, open-ended discussion. Enjoy and relax, but not too much.

Edit: Most of my interviews went long as well, and I've heard of the same thing for others.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:25 am

OP here who received offer this week. I don't know if I agree with the whole "intellectual interview" thing, just speaking from my own experience. I was warned by the partner who interviewed me at the screener to anticipate something along those lines, but other people I know who'd interviewed there or were SAs this summer agreed there wasn't anything unusual about the interviews.

However, the people I interviewed with were extremely intelligent and impressive (as are most people at this caliber of firm), so in a way, yes, you have to keep up in 35-minute (one ran over to an hour) conversations with them. That being said, I didn't get the sense that they were testing me. I didn't feel like I was asked or needed to prove my knowledge about anything substantive, unlike DPW where a partner asked me about the federal standard for expert testimony (though there was context). The conversations were very organic and relaxed. You just have to be yourself (great advice, I know) and hope that the fit is right.

My interview style throughout this whole process has been very relaxed. I haven't tried to memorize facts about particular attorneys or clients unless I actually had some specific interest or connection to them. Of course you need to know enough so that you don't misspeak or embarrass yourself, but from my limited knowledge and exposure, I get the sense that they aren't looking for cocky know-it-all gunner types.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here who received offer this week. I don't know if I agree with the whole "intellectual interview" thing, just speaking from my own experience. I was warned by the partner who interviewed me at the screener to anticipate something along those lines, but other people I know who'd interviewed there or were SAs this summer agreed there wasn't anything unusual about the interviews.

However, the people I interviewed with were extremely intelligent and impressive (as are most people at this caliber of firm), so in a way, yes, you have to keep up in 35-minute (one ran over to an hour) conversations with them. That being said, I didn't get the sense that they were testing me. I didn't feel like I was asked or needed to prove my knowledge about anything substantive, unlike DPW where a partner asked me about the federal standard for expert testimony (though there was context). The conversations were very organic and relaxed. You just have to be yourself (great advice, I know) and hope that the fit is right.

My interview style throughout this whole process has been very relaxed. I haven't tried to memorize facts about particular attorneys or clients unless I actually had some specific interest or connection to them. Of course you need to know enough so that you don't misspeak or embarrass yourself, but from my limited knowledge and exposure, I get the sense that they aren't looking for cocky know-it-all gunner types.

Great to hear! Thank you for going in depth on the interview structure and congrats on your offer!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here who received offer this week. I don't know if I agree with the whole "intellectual interview" thing, just speaking from my own experience. I was warned by the partner who interviewed me at the screener to anticipate something along those lines, but other people I know who'd interviewed there or were SAs this summer agreed there wasn't anything unusual about the interviews.

I concur. My shortest interview lasted 50 minutes, and the longest one was well over an hour, although none was particularly intellectual. You just have to be comfortable with talking about yourself/why law school/why Debevoise/why [insert practice area] for a longer time than you would at other firms. Also, since the interviews tend to be long, be prepared for the interviewer to digress and talk about random stuff like the city they're from (which happened to be where i went to college), travel experience (we talked about Paris) or stuff like the idea of a 3-year law school program and law school exams in general. My impression was that they don't ask as many "canned" questions; the conversations resemble the most of the ones you would have with some newly acquainted friends, if you will.

daisyduke

Postby daisyduke » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:15 am

Has anyone received an offer in less than 5 days or has it all been about a week?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:25 pm

Loving the offer gift btw - portable porcelain coffee mug and $25 gift card to Starbucks. So go get those offers, folks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:52 pm

daisyduke wrote:Has anyone received an offer in less than 5 days or has it all been about a week?

Callback was Tuesday received offer today

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:18 pm

Congrats on the offers! Has anyone else who had a CB this week heard back? How long is too long and time to give up holding out hope?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:20 pm

Any DC CBs or offers yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:41 am

Had a CB on Thursday. Received an e-mail from the hiring partner on Mon night informing me of the offer and a follow up call on Tuesday

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:10 am

Had a CB on Thursday. Received an e-mail from the hiring partner on Mon night informing me of the offer and a follow up call on Tuesday

DC or NY? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:33 pm

NYC

Return to “Legal Employment”