Cadwalader nyc Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Cadwalader nyc

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I heard that Cadwalader NY is terrible and that even Cadwalader's other offices don't like working with them.

Some say it's tolerable/getting better/not any worse than other firms, but I have never heard of anyone saying that itis a good place to work.
Cadwalader summer here. I think things HAVE improved, but it's definitely to gauge how much based only on 11 weeks. The most notorious "screamer" rainmaker partner Dennis Block has been gone for a few years. Stories of his antics were legion at the firm. The morale of the litigation department seemed especially good to me.

This isn't to say it's a better place to work at than other biglaw firms; I can't speak to that. But it doesn't seem as bad as it was a few years ago.
This is key. Dennis Block is a notoriously evil person to work for, and he's at Greenburg Traurig now. I've met lawyers at firms all over New York who have Dennis Block horror stories. He's easily 60% of the reason Cadwalader has the reputation it has for being a miserable place to work; so I would be more concerned about going to Greenburg Traurig if there's a chance you'll be doing M&A work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:04 pm

So any news so far? Any post-cb offer/ding from NY office?

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:22 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are exit options like? Do you still get recruiting calls and such as you would in the V10?
Probably. Big firm lawyers are actually a pretty hot commodity no matter what the firm. The better your firm (and more realistically, the better the practice area you're in) the better your exit options will be, but there are a ton of variables at play beyond just what Vault says.
This is true to a degree. In New York, the distinction is usually whether you're in the historically top 20-30 firms. Cravath=Simpson=Cadwalader.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:32 pm

quakeroats wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are exit options like? Do you still get recruiting calls and such as you would in the V10?
Probably. Big firm lawyers are actually a pretty hot commodity no matter what the firm. The better your firm (and more realistically, the better the practice area you're in) the better your exit options will be, but there are a ton of variables at play beyond just what Vault says.
This is true to a degree. In New York, the distinction is usually whether you're in the historically top 20-30 firms. Cravath=Simpson=Cadwalader.
Depends on the exit option. If your dream job is being inhouse at Goldman, you can't beat starting as an associate at S&C. If you want to do inhouse work on derivatives / hedging transactions, DPW is probably the only game in town. If you want to do buy-side PE legal work, then STB and K&E will wipe the floor with either S&C and DPW.

I'm sure there are also a lot of jobs for which being at a Good and Large firm in NYC is as much of a distinction as anybody will draw, but my point about exit options being closely related to practice area + firm stands.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:49 pm

Anyone interviewed during the second week of august heard back? I thought they said tey will get back in a week, which passed....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:55 pm

thesealocust wrote:Big firm lawyers are actually a pretty hot commodity no matter what the firm. The better your firm (and more realistically, the better the practice area you're in) the better your exit options will be, but there are a ton of variables at play beyond just what Vault says.
A little off topic, but I am going to be at Fried Frank next year, which has a killer real estate department. From an exit options perspective, should I try to get into that department just because it is so well-regarded? I prefer corporate. Are the exit options going to be drastically different? I think that the exit options in the real estate department are probably more limited, no?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Big firm lawyers are actually a pretty hot commodity no matter what the firm. The better your firm (and more realistically, the better the practice area you're in) the better your exit options will be, but there are a ton of variables at play beyond just what Vault says.
A little off topic, but I am going to be at Fried Frank next year, which has a killer real estate department. From an exit options perspective, should I try to get into that department just because it is so well-regarded? I prefer corporate. Are the exit options going to be drastically different? I think that the exit options in the real estate department are probably more limited, no?
RE is just a corporate group where the deals involve RE. Doing what you want/like/can tolerate is important, but it's probably realistic that FF's RE group has better exit options than their M&A group.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone interviewed during the second week of august heard back? I thought they said tey will get back in a week, which passed....
Also interviewed second week of August and was told I'd hear in about a week. Nothing yet. I know four other people who are also still waiting.

Does anyone know anything about Cadwalader's CB to offer ratio? I'm sure it changes by school, but are they known for giving a ton of callbacks or anything?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone interviewed during the second week of august heard back? I thought they said tey will get back in a week, which passed....
Also interviewed second week of August and was told I'd hear in about a week. Nothing yet. I know four other people who are also still waiting.

Does anyone know anything about Cadwalader's CB to offer ratio? I'm sure it changes by school, but are they known for giving a ton of callbacks or anything?
+1
anyone heard back from Cadwalader at all?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:04 pm

You guys had screeners and havent heard anything? I'm in the same boat.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You guys had screeners and havent heard anything? I'm in the same boat.
we are talking about post-cb offers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Okay so it's been almost two weeks and nothing after the CB.
Anybody heard back from the new york office?
Either way? Please?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Okay so it's been almost two weeks and nothing after the CB.
Either way? Please?
I'm at over three weeks and nothing. Hope that makes you feel better, somehow.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Okay so it's been almost two weeks and nothing after the CB.
Either way? Please?
Do you know anybody who heard back?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Either way? Please?
Do you know anybody who heard back?
No. This thread is my only source for such information, unfortunately.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:13 pm

I interviewed with CWT two years ago, and they were one of the slowest movers as far as making offers, so I wouldn't be worried. I think they are super-cautious about managing their yield because they are aware of the reputational legacy of the 2009-era layoffs and no-offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:34 pm

Renzo wrote:I interviewed with CWT two years ago, and they were one of the slowest movers as far as making offers, so I wouldn't be worried. I think they are super-cautious about managing their yield because they are aware of the reputational legacy of the 2009-era layoffs and no-offers.
So did you get an offer?
How long did it take for you to hear back?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Renzo wrote:I interviewed with CWT two years ago, and they were one of the slowest movers as far as making offers, so I wouldn't be worried. I think they are super-cautious about managing their yield because they are aware of the reputational legacy of the 2009-era layoffs and no-offers.
So did you get an offer?
I did, but I can't remember how long it took, just that it was one of, if not the, last offers to come in. Also, NYU's EIW was last week, and CLS's was the week before that (I think), so they may be waiting until callbacks from those schools are done before finalizing offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:59 am

Renzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
So did you get an offer?
I did, but I can't remember how long it took, just that it was one of, if not the, last offers to come in. Also, NYU's EIW was last week, and CLS's was the week before that (I think), so they may be waiting until callbacks from those schools are done before finalizing offers.
Thanks for the info.
Considering how my school was one of the first ones to have done its OCI, I guess it will take much longer, damn it.. :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:28 am

Anyone tried to contact them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:59 am

I know of at least one offer. Took about two weeks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:29 pm

Does Cadwalader provide office for each SA or do they share?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does Cadwalader provide office for each SA or do they share?
Idk about summers, but I met with a first year associate with his/her own office. Gorgeous view.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:10 pm

There's no way they have enough space to give each summer his/her own office. That would entail a lot of moving people around every spring and fall, or an absurd amount of expensive, unused space for 75% of the year.

Awesome that first years get their own office, though. That's not very common in NYC as far as I know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:17 pm

Anyone hear from them yet post-cb?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”