Weil - Dallas - Hard GPA Floor?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Weil - Dallas - Hard GPA Floor?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:08 pm

Got an interview with Weil's Dallas office through a lottery pick. I'm very interested in the firm and was wondering whether they have a hard GPA floor at all/school specific?

thesealocust

Re: Weil - Dallas - Hard GPA Floor?

Postby thesealocust » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:17 pm

There isn't a firm in the country with a hard GPA floor.

If there were, it wouldn't matter, because your objective would be to get hired anyway.

Kill that interview and stop worrying about things you cannot control.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:19 pm

thesealocust wrote:stop worrying about things you cannot control.

The correct response to most questions in this forum and yet saying it sadly changes nothing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:32 pm

thesealocust wrote:There isn't a firm in the country with a hard GPA floor.

If there were, it wouldn't matter, because your objective would be to get hired anyway.

Sullivan and Cromwell begs to differ.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:33 pm

I get the point but nevertheless, soft floor? (or whatever you want to call it). I've had a couple of their associates allude to a fairly firm floor.

While I understand I can't change anything, i'm in a unique situation, that I won't go into to avoid outing myself, where having this information would help me make some planning decisions.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sullivan and Cromwell begs to differ.

Breaking NewS: S&C prefers students with high gpas; more at 11.

I've scrounged up hiring charts from a half dozen or more schools. Even S&C dips deep into some classes, some of the time.

There's a reason schools and firms don't like to post data about this process: Because exceptions are nearly as common as not-exceptions.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I get the point but nevertheless, soft floor? (or whatever you want to call it). I've had a couple of their associates allude to a fairly firm floor.
They're just letting you down easy.

While I understand I can't change anything, i'm in a unique situation, that I won't go into to avoid outing myself, where having this information would help me make some planning decisions.

Unless you're picking between two interviews, and it's physically impossible to make both, I can't imagine a situation where knowing about a hard floor would change things after you already have the interview.

That said, as someone who also wants to work at Weil Dallas, I'd prefer you to go ahead and drop it.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:24 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

They're just letting you down easy.

Unless you're picking between two interviews, and it's physically impossible to make both, I can't imagine a situation where knowing about a hard floor would change things after you already have the interview.

That said, as someone who also wants to work at Weil Dallas, I'd prefer you to go ahead and drop it.

Why do you all want to work at Weil Dallas so bad? They're a small satellite office with poor partnership prospects. They do great corporate work in Dallas, but so do VE and HB, which have better hours and better partnership prospects.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:28 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Why do you all want to work at Weil Dallas so bad? They're a small satellite office with poor partnership prospects. They do great corporate work in Dallas, but so do VE and HB, which have better hours and better partnership prospects.

DEM EXIT OPTIONS

Also, not sure how you got "want to work at Weil Dallas so bad" or even that I want to work there more than VE, HB or hell, Jones Day. It was supposed to be a joke, dooder.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Why do you all want to work at Weil Dallas so bad? They're a small satellite office with poor partnership prospects. They do great corporate work in Dallas, but so do VE and HB, which have better hours and better partnership prospects.

DEM EXIT OPTIONS

Also, not sure how you got "want to work at Weil Dallas so bad" or even that I want to work there more than VE, HB or hell, Jones Day. It was supposed to be a joke, dooder.

Fair point. I read the thread too quickly

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:31 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

DEM EXIT OPTIONS

Fair. It's interview season, tensions are high. And stuff. :lol:

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:35 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

DEM EXIT OPTIONS

Fair. It's interview season, tensions are high. And stuff. :lol:

Then I'd say it's time for a beer.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:41 pm

I'll drink to that.

Return to “Legal Employment”