V10 OCI Interviewer Taking Qs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

V10 OCI Interviewer Taking Qs

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:42 pm

Have to get back to the grind in a few hours, but happy to provide advice.

Anonymous User

Re: V10 OCI Interviewer Taking Qs

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:42 pm

How much do grades matter, really?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:44 pm

whats a good answer for what is your greatest weakness and why transactional/corporate?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How much do grades matter, really?

If they're above our cut off, your interview will turn on many other factors. Cut off isn't high.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

If they're above our cut off, your interview will turn on many other factors. Cut off isn't high.

Could you ballpark it for us? Also, what does your firm do when it is at schools that don't publish GPAs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:whats a good answer for what is your greatest weakness and why transactional/corporate?

I think that question is the dumbest in the world. I would never ask that question, and anyone who does should expect the same canned answer that people always say ( I.e., I'm too much of a perfectionist).

In other words, I really dont know what you should say as I would never ask you that question and look down on anyone who does.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Could you ballpark it for us? Also, what does your firm do when it is at schools that don't publish GPAs?

I don't know, since I don't interview at those schools. Edit: misread your q.

I really shouldn't ballpark it. Needless to say, it's not high and I have flexibility to call back people below it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:48 pm

Describe your ideal interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:49 pm

To respond properly to your Q above' we have guidelines as to what composition of grades equates roughly to a certain class rank. If we don't have your GPA, we will still figure out where you fall.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:50 pm

Are K-JDers w/ no significant WE at a significant disadvantage?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:51 pm

what is the difference between your cutoff GPA and your "target" GPA? I noticed that firms at my school tend to take a wide-range of GPAs but also they have a number that they seem to center around. How far below the median GPA do you have to be to be considered a less-than-likely candidate?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Describe your ideal interview.

I want to have an engaging, organic conversation with a three dimensional human being. Pure intellect won't cut it for me, and I assume everyone above a certain range is sufficiently intelligent to handle the work at my firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Describe your ideal interview.

I want to have an engaging, organic conversation with a three dimensional human being. Pure intellect won't cut it for me, and I assume everyone above a certain range is sufficiently intelligent to handle the work at my firm.

Thank you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are K-JDers w/ no significant WE at a significant disadvantage?

Not a significant disadvantage, but a disadvantage if you have no basic work experience at all (ie, didn't work the summers in college, or during college).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what is the difference between your cutoff GPA and your "target" GPA? I noticed that firms at my school tend to take a wide-range of GPAs but also they have a number that they seem to center around. How far below the median GPA do you have to be to be considered a less-than-likely candidate?

For me there is no difference, but that might be different for others. once you're above the cut off I will look for other things. Naturally, I will "lust" after the superstars grade-wise, but a hint of shitty attitude will take them out the running in my book.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:56 pm

Sry, I asked this question before, but what is a good answer for why transactional/corporate? I'm interviewing with some firms that are pretty transactional heavy, and I want to be able to express a coherent interest in transactional work even though I don't have any real experience

ShitLawOrBust

Postby ShitLawOrBust » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what is the difference between your cutoff GPA and your "target" GPA? I noticed that firms at my school tend to take a wide-range of GPAs but also they have a number that they seem to center around. How far below the median GPA do you have to be to be considered a less-than-likely candidate?

For me there is no difference, but that might be different for others. once you're above the cut off I will look for other things. Naturally, I will "lust" after the superstars grade-wise, but a hint of shitty attitude will take them out the running in my book.

Does this mean you have a general idea of who you will be calling back before completing a round of screeners? I.e. are you almost certain to call back someone ranked in the top 2% if they aren't a socially obtuse wierdo

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:59 pm

What is your take on 3LS who are trying to switch cities?

I have a close friend who summered at a good firm and received an offer, but, due to personal reasons (getting married, parents getting ill etc.) and that s/he does NOT like the city where s/he summered, is trying to pick up a firm in NYC. Stats: CCN, tippy top of class, like top 2-3% 1L year.

I have heard that firms view 3Ls with some skepticism for fear that they received a cold offer and are terrible people or produce terrible work product. Would you suggest that s/he address that issue upfront by stating in the cover letter that s/he did receive an offer?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:01 pm

Native Chinese speaker (but have US citizenship) in lower T-14. Does that look attractive to NYC BigLaws (or the magic circle firms)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:02 pm

Small fire drill. Will return in a moment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sry, I asked this question before, but what is a good answer for why transactional/corporate? I'm interviewing with some firms that are pretty transactional heavy, and I want to be able to express a coherent interest in transactional work even though I don't have any real experience

I'm assuming you don't have a finance background. If you did, you'd be able to drum up some BS on your own.

For the non-finance people, you can have a number of reasons, and they don't have to be hugely compelling.
- took a business associations or equivalent course and are interested in that type of work
- interested in the pace of transactional work vs. litigation
- transactional is not adversarial. And you like that aspect
- there's a lot of cutting edge work to be done since transactional heavy firms tend to do more WSJ deals

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:13 pm

ShitLawOrBust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Does this mean you have a general idea of who you will be calling back before completing a round of screeners? I.e. are you almost certain to call back someone ranked in the top 2% if they aren't a socially obtuse wierdo

No. My social standard isn't that low. It's somewhere above "don't be a total douchebag" and well below "be the most extroverted person in the world." Some of those superstars have the shittiest attitudes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is your take on 3LS who are trying to switch cities?

I have a close friend who summered at a good firm and received an offer, but, due to personal reasons (getting married, parents getting ill etc.) and that s/he does NOT like the city where s/he summered, is trying to pick up a firm in NYC. Stats: CCN, tippy top of class, like top 2-3% 1L year.

I have heard that firms view 3Ls with some skepticism for fear that they received a cold offer and are terrible people or produce terrible work product. Would you suggest that s/he address that issue upfront by stating in the cover letter that s/he did receive an offer?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

This shouldn't be stated in a cover letter, as it probably won't be read. It's customary to put "offer extended" in your resume, so much so that lacking it is harmful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Native Chinese speaker (but have US citizenship) in lower T-14. Does that look attractive to NYC BigLaws (or the magic circle firms)?

I personally don't care. magic circle might be different.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ShitLawOrBust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No. My social standard isn't that low. It's somewhere above "don't be a total douchebag" and well below "be the most extroverted person in the world." Some of those superstars have the shittiest attitudes.

What qualifies as "shitty attitude?" Any examples you can share?

When interviewers comment on grades, I usually try to say thanks and move on quickly to avoid pitfalls. I feel like it's really easy to come off as a Dbag to interviewers since they seem to expect "superstars" (as you call em) to have an inflated ego.

Return to “Legal Employment”