Is a JD/MBA ok for a summer associate? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is a JD/MBA ok for a summer associate?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:05 am

Does anybody know if firms will reject you as a summer associate based solely on your dual degree delaying graduation for a year (and not something else like "we don't like taking mba's because they go into business too often)?

NALP says a good % of firms will not take JD/MBA's, but given that my career services office told me nothing about this as even some kind of warning I'm going to be pissed if it's true.

Anyone know of friends that are JD/some-other-degree that got an SA?

edit: my program is first year as 1L (just completed), second year as 2L (coming up), third year as full-time MBA, fourth year as half JD, half MBA.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

TTH

Diamond

Re: Is a JD/MBA ok for a summer associate?

Post by TTH » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:12 am

I only personally know one JD/MBA student at my T1 school. He did a 1L clerkship through a diversity program, then went to B-school second year and did a business-related internship this summer. He will start 2L this year and ostensibly do law OCI. He will now graduate with both degrees in 2014 (we matriculated together--I'm c/o '13).

I suppose other schools likely do it differently, but in his case, he won't be delaying graduation a year by the time he takes his first real crack at OCI (he may have even OCI'd last year, I don't know). But if your law class standing remains 2L for two years, I'd imagine you get two cracks at 2L OCI.

Hmm, they should really make that a selling point for the JD/MBA program. :|

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:36 am

TTH wrote:But if your law class standing remains 2L for two years, I'd imagine you get two cracks at 2L OCI.

Hmm, they should really make that a selling point for the JD/MBA program. :|
Yes, at both the Patent Law Interview Program and at my school's OCI, a friend in the JD/MBA program is getting two shots at 2L OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:43 am

Myself and many others at K&E NY are JD/MBAs. All got offers.

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:46 am

Probably depends on what school you are at. I am a JD/MBA at both a top law school and a top business school, and I had offers as a summer associate after both my second and third years. I think if the school is prestigious they try to lock you down, but maybe it doesn't work that way lower down the chain.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:49 am

Borg wrote:Probably depends on what school you are at. I am a JD/MBA at both a top law school and a top business school, and I had offers as a summer associate after both my second and third years. I think if the school is prestigious they try to lock you down, but maybe it doesn't work that way lower down the chain.
ok, i'm at CCN and the business school is very good

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Myself and many others at K&E NY are JD/MBAs. All got offers.
so how do offers work if you're a SA with another two years til graduation?

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:53 am

Out of curiosity, if you're doing a JD/MBA does the b-school waive the business internship requirement and let you do a legal one instead?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:55 am

ran12 wrote:Out of curiosity, if you're doing a JD/MBA does the b-school waive the business internship requirement and let you do a legal one instead?
i don't start b-school til 2013, but i imagine you can do whatever you want during the summer if you're a jd/mba...it's gonna be up to you to choose a path
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Borg wrote:Probably depends on what school you are at. I am a JD/MBA at both a top law school and a top business school, and I had offers as a summer associate after both my second and third years. I think if the school is prestigious they try to lock you down, but maybe it doesn't work that way lower down the chain.
ok, i'm at CCN and the business school is very good
Oh, yeah man you can definitely do two law summers then. In my experience I batted above my law school GPA because of the MBA, and had a really easy time at OCI both years. Just give a good interview, have an answer for why the MBA (hint: it's because your primary interest is corporate law and you want to understand your clients' businesses and their legal concerns better), and you should be set.

By the way, the MBA actually did prove to be extremely helpful to me during my summer at the firm, so it's not just a line. Most of the straight JDs are going to be confused by just about everything if you're working in corporate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:18 am

Goodwin Procter will give offers to JD/MBAs (did so this summer). They also give bonuses to JD/MBAs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”