How boned am I?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How boned am I?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:55 am

Lower t14 school that has almost everyone on a journal (like Duke, NU, Cornell, etc.), but no journal or work experience...safely top 25%, closer to top 20%....how boned am I? No moot court either, I can maybe get a clinic...

Also does no journal matter more for corporate vs. lit? I've heard anecdotes that journal is more important for lit...

Perseus_I

Re: How boned am I?

Postby Perseus_I » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Lower t14 school that has almost everyone on a journal (like Duke, NU, Cornell, etc.), but no journal or work experience...safely top 25%, closer to top 20%....how boned am I? No moot court either, I can maybe get a clinic...

Why did you not get on a journal? Other extracurriculars? At my school (UT), the CSO told us that being on a journal other than law review is not much of a boost unless you are on the editorial board. Of course, you can't be on an editorial board when you do OCI in most cases.

I am a bit skeptical of this. However, as long as you're not doing litigation, I imagine you that, while you might under perform, you would get something Big Law with that class rank.

Yeah, and nobody--absent some smaller firms in small markets--cares about moot court.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:04 am

Perseus_I wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Lower t14 school that has almost everyone on a journal (like Duke, NU, Cornell, etc.), but no journal or work experience...safely top 25%, closer to top 20%....how boned am I? No moot court either, I can maybe get a clinic...

Why did you not get on a journal? Other extracurriculars? At my school (UT), the CSO told us that being on a journal other than law review is not much of a boost unless you are on the editorial board. Of course, you can't be on an editorial board when you do OCI in most cases.

I am a bit skeptical of this. However, as long as you're not doing litigation, I imagine you that, while you might under perform, you would get something Big Law with that class rank.

Yeah, and nobody--absent some smaller firms in small markets--cares about moot court.

I did terribly on the writing comp (personal reasons but nothing significant enough to actually be a legit excuse).

I'm worried because literally 70%+ of the people at my school have a journal and most people that don't are IP or JD/MBA...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:22 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:24 am

Grades >>> journal. You've got good grades at a good school. Mass mail like crazy and spend a lot of time practicing your interviewing skills. If you interview well, you should be fine.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:29 am

Do you have any extra curricular (moot court, trial team, etc.)? I am not a member of a journal, go to a lower top-14 that puts anyone who wants it on a journal, and had grades that were not as good as yours and I did fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:31 am

bjsesq wrote:Do you have any extra curricular (moot court, trial team, etc.)? I am not a member of a journal, go to a lower top-14 that puts anyone who wants it on a journal, and had grades that were not as good as yours and I did fine.

I have one extracurricular but it's one of those lame clubs and nothing like moot court/trial team...

Did you ever get a question about why no journal? I'm not sure how to answer it without coming off as cocky (I didn't want to do a journal), or lazy, or stupid (I tried but I didn't get on).

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:

I did terribly on the writing comp (personal reasons but nothing significant enough to actually be a legit excuse).

I'm worried because literally 70%+ of the people at my school have a journal and most people that don't are IP or JD/MBA...

You def. don't go to NU.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Do you have any extra curricular (moot court, trial team, etc.)? I am not a member of a journal, go to a lower top-14 that puts anyone who wants it on a journal, and had grades that were not as good as yours and I did fine.

I have one extracurricular but it's one of those lame clubs and nothing like moot court/trial team...

Did you ever get a question about why no journal? I'm not sure how to answer it without coming off as cocky (I didn't want to do a journal), or lazy, or stupid (I tried but I didn't get on).

I was never asked the question. Not once. No bullshit.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:40 am

Just come up with a good reason for not doing journal if someone asks. "I want to do moot court, and clinics instead." I doubt anyone will care. Everyone knows journals are stupid and are secretarial work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:44 am

Desert Fox wrote:Just come up with a good reason for not doing journal if someone asks. "I want to do moot court, and clinics instead." I doubt anyone will care. Everyone knows journals are stupid and are secretarial work.

Would just a clinic be enough? I missed the boat on moot court, we did it 1st year.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:45 am

Probably not that bad. Journals aren't really a boost, it's more just a slight negative not to have one. From what I could tell from friends the year ahead of me, even LR only helped once the person was in the general GPA range for the firm (i.e. friend w/ only slightly above median but LR cleaned up with firms that she was even on the low end for, but there was a clear dividing line where she just wasn't considered). Also, I would caution against bidding heavily on DC, since those firms do like to see at least some kind of journal and usually LR, but it sounds like you want corporate anyways.

If your screener interviewer is familiar with your school and knows that almost everyone who tries gets a journal it might be more of an issue, but otherwise not a problem. You might underperform your GPA just a little bit if you don't stand out in interviews or resume so I would make sure to hustle and be cautious with your bidding. Barring terrible interviewing skills, you should manage to get something with your GPA/school and once you have an offer you will be very glad that you aren't on a journal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:23 pm

chasgoose wrote:Probably not that bad. Journals aren't really a boost, it's more just a slight negative not to have one. From what I could tell from friends the year ahead of me, even LR only helped once the person was in the general GPA range for the firm (i.e. friend w/ only slightly above median but LR cleaned up with firms that she was even on the low end for, but there was a clear dividing line where she just wasn't considered). Also, I would caution against bidding heavily on DC, since those firms do like to see at least some kind of journal and usually LR, but it sounds like you want corporate anyways.

If your screener interviewer is familiar with your school and knows that almost everyone who tries gets a journal it might be more of an issue, but otherwise not a problem. You might underperform your GPA just a little bit if you don't stand out in interviews or resume so I would make sure to hustle and be cautious with your bidding. Barring terrible interviewing skills, you should manage to get something with your GPA/school and once you have an offer you will be very glad that you aren't on a journal.

This is what I'm most worried about, but it seems like there is still some hope for me. Thanks BJS, DF, and others.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:53 pm

Trying to get onto a clinic now but a lot of the deadlines have passed :(

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:25 pm

Maybe you should exaggerate the personal reasons. Firms are more likely to believe when someone with an otherwise solid transcript claims that something stopped him from participating in the journal competition.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:22 am

Pokemon wrote:Maybe you should exaggerate the personal reasons. Firms are more likely to believe when someone with an otherwise solid transcript claims that something stopped him from participating in the journal competition.

It was a very silly personal reason, I don't even want to bring it up, and I don't want to fabricate something entirely.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:48 am

Pokemon wrote:Maybe you should exaggerate the personal reasons. Firms are more likely to believe when someone with an otherwise solid transcript claims that something stopped him from participating in the journal competition.

Maybe you should stop giving advice.

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:15 pm

LOL at this thread

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:25 pm

I'd bet money OP goes to Cornell based on this info (and the 1st year moot court thing).

OP, what is your schedule like for next year right now? You can always say that you 100% want transactional work and want to focus on courses that will give exposure to that now that you can take them. But make sure you can come up with good reasons for want transactional and good reasons why it would be a good fit. However, I think with top 20-25%-ish grades you aren't going to get dinged just for lack of journal.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:39 pm

keg411 wrote:I'd bet money OP goes to Cornell based on this info (and the 1st year moot court thing).

OP, what is your schedule like for next year right now? You can always say that you 100% want transactional work and want to focus on courses that will give exposure to that now that you can take them. But make sure you can come up with good reasons for want transactional and good reasons why it would be a good fit. However, I think with top 20-25%-ish grades you aren't going to get dinged just for lack of journal.

Cornell was my thought too, but more than half of our class does 1L Moot Court so not sure why you thought that was a hint.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:42 pm

So is it true no journal hurts less if I can show I 100% want corporate/transaction less than litigation? This is true in my case, I am going to show my strong interest in transaction throughout OCI.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:55 pm

You're going to be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:43 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
keg411 wrote:I'd bet money OP goes to Cornell based on this info (and the 1st year moot court thing).

Cornell was my thought too, but more than half of our class does 1L Moot Court so not sure why you thought that was a hint.

Any thoughts on this dilemma?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

Any thoughts on this dilemma?

IAFG wrote:You're going to be fine.

ETA: If OP is at Cornell, it'd be sort of impressive to miss all journals with top 20% grades. Like, not even completing writing competition impressive. So best have a good story lined up.
Last edited by Arbiter213 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:52 pm

Top 20-25% at T14 and you don't suck at interviewing should mean that you are still fine.

Return to “Legal Employment”