Possible GPA + Journal + WE combinations for DC from Duke Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Possible GPA + Journal + WE combinations for DC from Duke

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:05 pm

Everyone says DC is a tough nut to crack. If your GPA is <3.6, should you abandon hope? Does LR make up for less than stellar grades? What impact does WE have?

IAFG

Platinum

Re: Possible GPA + Journal + WE combinations for DC from Duke

Post by IAFG » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:10 pm

See, people want legal hiring to be mechanical. For there to be a LSN of firms. But it's not mechanical like that, and you can't just blanket the firms/markets like you can top law schools. If someone says you have a shot at DC, are you going to go all in on DC? It's not your safest bet and it's unlikely your "softs" are going to make it a safe bet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:15 pm

IAFG wrote:See, people want legal hiring to be mechanical. For there to be a LSN of firms. But it's not mechanical like that, and you can't just blanket the firms/markets like you can top law schools. If someone says you have a shot at DC, are you going to go all in on DC? It's not your safest bet and it's unlikely your "softs" are going to make it a safe bet.
Fair point. I guess I'm just looking for anyone with something to say that's not the stock TLS "Bid NY BIGLAW." Answers here won't change my strategy, I was just hoping someone would have something more enlightened/nuanced to say than, "If you're under 3.6, you have no shot." That's just as mechanical, albeit with only one variable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:See, people want legal hiring to be mechanical. For there to be a LSN of firms. But it's not mechanical like that, and you can't just blanket the firms/markets like you can top law schools. If someone says you have a shot at DC, are you going to go all in on DC? It's not your safest bet and it's unlikely your "softs" are going to make it a safe bet.
Fair point. I guess I'm just looking for anyone with something to say that's not the stock TLS "Bid NY BIGLAW." Answers here won't change my strategy, I was just hoping someone would have something more enlightened/nuanced to say than, "If you're under 3.6, you have no shot." That's just as mechanical, albeit with only one variable.
Why don't you post your grades, if you're on DLJ, how much work experience you have, and what firm you are looking at?

Suspicious OP is a 0L.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anyone who says you have no shot is being overly pessimistic, obviously. But you know your odds are not great. DC still doesn't have a lot of jobs, still is the darling market of top students and clerks, still is grade-snobby.

Rather than focusing on your chances generally, you should be working on a way to get in front of lots of firms in a back-up market in case you strike out in DC. You only have so many bids within OCI, so you need to try to get interviews through avenues besides bidding, make sure your DC bids are sensible ones, etc. Trying to convince yourself your chances at DC aren't as grim as TLS CW says they are? Not helpful to your ultimate goal of being employed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Why don't you post your grades, if you're on DLJ, how much work experience you have, and what firm you are looking at?

Suspicious OP is a 0L.
Not a 0L, on DLJ, WE would out; let's just say I'm not a K-JD and did more than wait tables. Fried Frank is of interest, but looking at all of the DC firms on OCI besides W&C, GDC, Cadwalader, Hunton Williams, SullCrom, McDermott, and Latham.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Why don't you post your grades, if you're on DLJ, how much work experience you have, and what firm you are looking at?

Suspicious OP is a 0L.
Not a 0L, on DLJ, WE would out; let's just say I'm not a K-JD and did more than wait tables. Fried Frank is of interest, but looking at all of the DC firms on OCI besides W&C, GDC, Cadwalader, Hunton Williams, SullCrom, McDermott, and Latham.
Cuz posting your GPA would out you, yeah.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:13 pm

ajaxconstructions wrote: Cuz posting your GPA would out you, yeah.
3.4. WE would out.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ajaxconstructions wrote: Cuz posting your GPA would out you, yeah.
3.4. WE would out.
That GPA is super low for DC. Hope you have incredible WE or LR.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:34 pm

Figured as much... Lesson to future 1L's... Don't f-up 1st year classes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Figured as much... Lesson to future 1L's... Don't f-up 1st year classes.
You've definitely started to get the right attitude for DLJ. When 3.4 is fucking up, the 50%+ of the class below you must have not tried at all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”