Skadden v. Paul Weiss

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Skadden v. Paul Weiss

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:03 pm

Assuming one has the grades for both Skadden and Paul Weiss and with bidding it is nearly certain to be able to obtain an interview at one, but the other will be iffy though possible, which one would you bid first and why? Take into account litigation hopeful, NYC office and callback to offer ratio.

And if one wanted tax rather than litigation, would that change the answer?

Note I have checked Chambers for both areas in NYC already. Looking for the opinion of others.

Anonymous User

Re: Skadden v. Paul Weiss

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:And if one wanted tax rather than litigation, would that change the answer?

That is where I would draw my main distinction.

I view Paul Weiss as a litigation powerhouse. So if that isn't your bag, go elsewhere.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:And if one wanted tax rather than litigation, would that change the answer?

I view Paul Weiss as a litigation powerhouse. So if that isn't your bag, go elsewhere.

This. Also, different firm cultures may be relevant. Also, ignore everything else because Skadden moved on up this year to V3 so they're obviously the easy choice with all dat preftige swag.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:17 pm

Detrox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This. Also, different firm cultures may be relevant. Also, ignore everything else because Skadden moved on up this year to V3 so they're obviously the easy choice with all dat preftige swag.

OP here:

My 2 top choice firms are "below" Skadden. So not much worried about prestige. With the way bidding is set and likely to fall, I can nearly certainly get one of the firms. Trying to decide which one to roll the dice with.

Anyone know about the culture differences? For me, Quinn would be the antithesis of what I would prefer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:27 pm

I mean shouldn't you base your decision on number of interview slots available? I know at my CCN, Skadden has about one third the number of slots as Paul Weiss...

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I mean shouldn't you base your decision on number of interview slots available? I know at my CCN, Skadden has about one third the number of slots as Paul Weiss...

That has to be Chicago, right? Skadden is way bigger than PW, I can't imagine that they have fewer slots at one of the NYC schools.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:02 pm

bdubs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I mean shouldn't you base your decision on number of interview slots available? I know at my CCN, Skadden has about one third the number of slots as Paul Weiss...

That has to be Chicago, right? Skadden is way bigger than PW, I can't imagine that they have fewer slots at one of the NYC schools.

Not Chicago. Also, I'm pretty sure that PW's NY class is much bigger than Skadden NY. Over all Skadden offices there are probably more bids than Paul Weiss, but not in NY alone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:13 pm

OP here:

Interviews are nearly even, but PW does have more for NYC.

Reason I am torn between lit and tax is, as long shot as making partner is, I want the option. And prefer not to have to head to AUSA for a few years before heading back to a firm because it is government work. Not really my thing.

And betweem the firms on NALP: PW = ~105 SA in NYC ----------Skadden = ~65

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:20 pm

I think Skadden is actually historically less selective, for whatever that's worth.

ajaxconstructions

Postby ajaxconstructions » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:27 pm

Skadden must hate Cornell. CB average GPA is a 3.81, compared to 3.74 for PW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Assuming one has the grades for both Skadden and Paul Weiss and with bidding it is nearly certain to be able to obtain an interview at one, but the other will be iffy though possible, which one would you bid first and why? Take into account litigation hopeful, NYC office and callback to offer ratio.

And if one wanted tax rather than litigation, would that change the answer?

Note I have checked Chambers for both areas in NYC already. Looking for the opinion of others.

Skadden has a great tax department (though to be fair, their DC tax department is better than their NYC tax department) and I've heard that they pay/send their junior tax associates to NYU Tax LLM (while working full time, so I've heard it's a bit of a joke).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:22 am

Don't know how competitive u are but if u bid Paul Weiss and really say u want to join their corp group u will have an easier time getting a job. Their corp group is growing but they have trouble filling it. But again if u r a top student this might not even matter. Most kids who want corp bid on firms like sadden. Very few bid on pw even though their corp is not that small

Return to “Legal Employment”