Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bickel Brewer already give out offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:43 pm

Is there anyone who has not gotten an offer from Porter Hedges yet and not received a ding in the mail? I know offers and ding letters went out and not sure if my mail lady lost it. Thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there anyone who has not gotten an offer from Porter Hedges yet and not received a ding in the mail? I know offers and ding letters went out and not sure if my mail lady lost it. Thanks
I know someone who just a ding in the mail yesterday so it's possible some letters are still working there way through the system. Best of luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:21 pm

K&L Gates Dallas and Haynes & Boone Dallas offers. I'm trying to choose. Any suggestions? (non UT)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:K&L Gates Dallas and Haynes & Boone Dallas offers. I'm trying to choose. Any suggestions? (non UT)
Have you reviewed this thread? There is quite a bit of discussion about both of these firms. Do you have any particular practice group interests? And what was the turnaround time on your offers at both firms (I sometimes encourage people to pick the firm with the faster turnaround time if there was a significant difference as it might be an indication that firm likes you better)?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:40 pm

Offer from Bracewell Houston today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Offer from Bracewell Houston today.

Mind saying what week your CB was?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:19 pm

Interview was last week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:57 pm

Any other B & G Houston offers lately?
Anonymous User wrote:Interview was last week.
Did you have a deadline coming up for another offer?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:K&L Gates Dallas and Haynes & Boone Dallas offers. I'm trying to choose. Any suggestions? (non UT)
I have a close friend who is a 6th or 7th year associate at K&L Dallas and told me not to go there. He said things worked out for him b/c he is in a few of the partners' good graces, but he said it would be a gamble going there and could end up badly. He didn't sound confident in the firm's direction and said it offered lower QOL than some of the native Dallas firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I have a close friend who is a 6th or 7th year associate at K&L Dallas and told me not to go there. He said things worked out for him b/c he is in a few of the partners' good graces, but he said it would be a gamble going there and could end up badly. He didn't sound confident in the firm's direction and said it offered lower QOL than some of the native Dallas firms.
I've heard similar stories - I've also heard that their corporate group is completely dead.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:09 pm

So, anyone received LL Dallas rejections? Trying to figure out if I am on the WL or just waiting for my ding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any other B & G Houston offers lately?
Anonymous User wrote:Interview was last week.
Did you have a deadline coming up for another offer?

Not that they knew about.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I've heard similar stories - I've also heard that their corporate group is completely dead.

Thanks! I'm taking Haynes & Boone.

squ1rtle

New

Post by squ1rtle » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats, good choice! =D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You'll be glad you did! It seems like there are quite a few HayBoo offers on this thread. Any idea how big the class will be this year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote: You'll be glad you did! It seems like there are quite a few HayBoo offers on this thread. Any idea how big the class will be this year?
I remember reading somewhere that this year's HayBoo Dallas class was going to be a bit smaller (low 20s) so that they could have a high offer rate. Then again, I also remember reading on this thread that they were only taking students in the top 15% this year because they had a lot of fast track coming back. I got an offer and am only in the top 1/3 (UT), so obviously that's not true.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:35 pm

JW or Haynes (Dallas)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:JW or Haynes (Dallas)?
My opinion would be JW for lit, HayBoo for transactions. If you want to stay in Dallas, I don't think you can go wrong with either, though I think HayBoo is the clear choice if you want to do corporate.

Either way, two good firms with good reputations in Dallas.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
My opinion would be JW for lit, HayBoo for transactions. If you want to stay in Dallas, I don't think you can go wrong with either, though I think HayBoo is the clear choice if you want to do corporate.

Disagree, HB for lit as well. http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/71296

Also, their lit group gets you doing real work faster than a lot of other big law firms. Talked to a few second and third years that were second-chairing cases.

Edit: I'm not summering there, so this is unbiased advice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:41 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Disagree, HB for lit as well. http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/71296

Also, their lit group gets you doing real work faster than a lot of other big law firms. Talked to a few second and third years that were second-chairing cases.

Edit: I'm not summering there, so this is unbiased advice.
This is what I've heard as well. HB has a much bigger presence in Dallas that will also help with exit oppotunities too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

straberi93

New

Post by straberi93 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:10 pm

Any post-CB offers or dings from Baker McKenzie Dallas?

Just got a ding from Yetter Coleman CB via snail mail. Both Baker Donelson and Baker Hostetler had their last CBs this past Friday and said they were waiting to discuss the interviews, so decisions still aren't out yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:22 am

What's the story with LL Houston? I saw people posting earlier about offers, but I still haven't heard one way or the other. Does anybody know if we should expect a second wave? I'm still looking for a second half firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:What's the story with LL Houston? I saw people posting earlier about offers, but I still haven't heard one way or the other. Does anybody know if we should expect a second wave? I'm still looking for a second half firm.
You and me both. Besides LL and AK, I cannot find any firms that offer a second half. Any suggestions? I'm OOS, so OCS is useless for me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's the story with LL Houston? I saw people posting earlier about offers, but I still haven't heard one way or the other. Does anybody know if we should expect a second wave? I'm still looking for a second half firm.
You and me both. Besides LL and AK, I cannot find any firms that offer a second half. Any suggestions? I'm OOS, so OCS is useless for me.

Bracewell is a second-half firm.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”