Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had a ding from LL Dallas post-CB yet?
Bumping this. I know one person in the thread mentioned they got an offer post-CB, but they mentioned other ones might be coming out later. Has anyone besides this person got an offer or ding on here? I feel like I should have gotten either a call or a letter by now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:45 pm

Looper Reed McGraw (Dallas) offers anyone?

Also, does it look bad to your first part firm to not have a second?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received a cb from Thompson and Knight?
Yes. I received a ding letter, and I have many friends who received a CB weeks ago.
TK Dallas offers went out a week or two ago.
Sorry I didn't specify, has anyone received a cb from TK Houston?
I had a CB with TK Houston and got an offer from them last week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:24 pm

Can confirm 2 Bracewell (Houston) offers today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can confirm 2 Bracewell (Houston) offers today.
Are these the first offers you've heard of?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
No, there were some others, but most of those were due to expiring deadlines. Maybe they've finally getting around to the main group of offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No, there were some others, but most of those were due to expiring deadlines. Maybe they've finally getting around to the main group of offers?
I've heard the same thing. I know a few people who had CBs with Bracewell (Houston) got dinged mid last week. So basically I'm gonna hope they made their big cuts last week and are now sending out offers? Yeah...let's go with that...

Anyone know anything else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:46 pm

Any idea when the people who have already received Bracewell Houston offers had their CBs?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:54 pm

Does anyone have any insight on what it generally means if you aren't initially cut after a CB (as some people seem to have been last week). Is this a pretty good sign or does it just mean the firm hasn't made their mind up about you?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any insight on what it generally means if you aren't initially cut after a CB (as some people seem to have been last week). Is this a pretty good sign or does it just mean the firm hasn't made their mind up about you?
I think it depends. Its obviously better than being dinged but worse than getting an offer. I think it varies quite a bit among the firms as to how many people get put on hold and what the chances are of being taken off hold. At our firm, probably only about 10-15% of people get an offer from the hold list. However, if you do get put on a hold, I wouldn't take offense to it (sometimes our favorite candidates get put on hold simply because of grades, and since grades aren't a factor at the end of the summer when full time offers are being given out, the fact that you had lower grades and were on hold won't be held against you).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All Houston, Texas non-UT:
Ding letters from Porter Hedges (didn't even CB with them) and Bracewell (did CB) on Wednesday.

Phonecall and offer from Skadden today

Called Susman to follow up on CB and they said they've finished all of their CBs and that they're meeting today to decide. Would be calling today or by Monday at the latest.
Has anybody received a call from Susman? Offer or ding?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any insight on what it generally means if you aren't initially cut after a CB (as some people seem to have been last week). Is this a pretty good sign or does it just mean the firm hasn't made their mind up about you?
I think it depends. Its obviously better than being dinged but worse than getting an offer. I think it varies quite a bit among the firms as to how many people get put on hold and what the chances are of being taken off hold. At our firm, probably only about 10-15% of people get an offer from the hold list. However, if you do get put on a hold, I wouldn't take offense to it (sometimes our favorite candidates get put on hold simply because of grades, and since grades aren't a factor at the end of the summer when full time offers are being given out, the fact that you had lower grades and were on hold won't be held against you).
Not to derail, but do you know if firms tend to look primarily at 1L as a whole, or would a significant drop between first and second semester be a major factor in putting someone on hold? Lets say someone had a fantastic first semester (>top5%) and a relatively horrible second semester (say around 40%) bringing overall to top 10%?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Not to derail, but do you know if firms tend to look primarily at 1L as a whole, or would a significant drop between first and second semester be a major factor in putting someone on hold? Lets say someone had a fantastic first semester (>top5%) and a relatively horrible second semester (say around 40%) bringing overall to top 10%?
Firms mostly look at 1L as a whole - although usually the candidate gets the benefit of the doubt. For the person you mentioned, my guess is the firms would probably just consider them top 10%. But let's say a firm's cutoff was top 10% and the person was top 11% after an incredible performance in the spring semester - I think that person may get bumped up. I think a lot of firms are willing to discount the first semester a bit (especially if you had a major that wouldn't have prepared you well for law school exams) if you show a marked improvement in the second semester. It wouldn't hurt to point out this improvement to the firms too and perhaps even to discuss it in your cb interview.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Firms mostly look at 1L as a whole - although usually the candidate gets the benefit of the doubt. For the person you mentioned, my guess is the firms would probably just consider them top 10%. But let's say a firm's cutoff was top 10% and the person was top 11% after an incredible performance in the spring semester - I think that person may get bumped up. I think a lot of firms are willing to discount the first semester a bit (especially if you had a major that wouldn't have prepared you well for law school exams) if you show a marked improvement in the second semester. It wouldn't hurt to point out this improvement to the firms too and perhaps even to discuss it in your cb interview.
I had a huge grade bump (.5ish). I have seen my 2nd semester GPA circled several times. I even had an interviewer check my transcript after I told him there was no change in course load between the 2 semesters.

My results suggest that I've been treated as someone who was well above the average of my 2 scores. So, at least in situations in which there's a significant upward trend, my firms have treated me more like a top student and less like a very good student.

straberi93

New

Post by straberi93 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:10 pm

Baker Donelson CB today via email.

Still nothing from Reynolds Frizzell or SG. I'm beginning to feel a bit sick to my stomach about SG - I hate the waiting and I am completely paranoid that I didn't get an offer.

Yetter Coleman said their last CB interview was Friday and that they should get back to us about offers early this week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:0L here with TX roots. Just curious: around what % must you be at UT to secure a V&E houston CB and offer?
There's no secure for a callback. This is an interview, it is not law school admissions where they look at LSAT and GPA and go okay. You need to ace the interview and make a connection and even then some factors are simply out of your control.

That said V&E does seem to be stricter on grades. Meaning if you are below the top 15-20% getting an offer there will probably be very tough/impossible. But while a high GPA is NECESSARY, it is not SUFFICIENT.

Wow had heard that V&E took a lot of people even at median, but didnt realize it was more like top quarter. And when I said "to secure" I meant that and not "to be secure" like most of you jumped on. Guess law school ruins ya RC skills
Median? I think only like half of UT gets biglaw and that might be slightly generous in my estimation. V&E is one of the most selective Texas firms (with BB being the other). If someone at median pulled V&E, congrats! But I would say it's highly unlikely.
I pulled V&E at slightly-below median, but coming from CCN.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:54 pm

Ding from FJ Dallas. Saw this one coming from a mile away

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:08 pm

So is tomorrow the day for AK (Dallas) offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ding from FJ Dallas. Saw this one coming from a mile away
email or snail mail?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Latham (Houston) ding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All Houston, Texas non-UT:
Ding letters from Porter Hedges (didn't even CB with them) and Bracewell (did CB) on Wednesday.

Phonecall and offer from Skadden today

Called Susman to follow up on CB and they said they've finished all of their CBs and that they're meeting today to decide. Would be calling today or by Monday at the latest.
Has anybody received a call from Susman? Offer or ding?
I have received an offer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So is tomorrow the day for AK (Dallas) offers?
I have been wondering the same. Someone earlier in the thread said September 18 was the day, but has anyone been able to confirm this? Cant seem to get a firm idea of when AK Dallas offers are going out

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ding from FJ Dallas. Saw this one coming from a mile away
email or snail mail?
snail mail

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:48 pm

Anyone hear about Fulbright Austin offers? I assume no news is bad news, but...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:32 am

HayBoo Dallas offer today. UT.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”