Another GWU kid struggling with his OCI list Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Another GWU kid struggling with his OCI list

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:59 pm

The title says it all, 3.75 at GW. That puts me in the George Washington Scholar category, though I have no idea where in the top 15% I fall - some firms list a 10% cutoff, am I inside top 10%? No Moot Court. No Mock Trial. I haven't heard back from the journal competition yet, but I heard decisions should be made sometime soon?

As far as work experience goes, I have a year of solid work and have internship experience at a state attorneys office. Currently, I am interning for a state appellate level court.

If it helps, I have ties to DC: WE and family.

I'm open to any practice area, litigation or transactional. I need a job.

GW's OCI is pre-select with only 35 bids. As GW doesn't provide any information on GPA/Interviews/CBs and TLS has a relatively small sample size of Bid/Interview stats, I havent the slightest clue as to what firms are really reasonable. So this is my DC bid list...

1. Akin
2. Arent Fox
3. Arnold &Porter
4. Baker Botts
5. Cadwalader
6. Cleary
7. Covington
8. Crowell
9. Dickstein Shapiro
10. Foley Lardner
11. Gibson
12. Goodwin Proctor
13. hogan lovells
14. Hunton & Williams
15. Jones Day
16. K&L Gates
17. Kirkland
18. Latham
19. O’Melveny
20. Patton Boggs
21. Paul Hastings
22. Paul Weiss
23. Pillsbury
24. Ropes
25. Sidley
26. Skadden
27. Steptoe
28. Venable
29. Vinson & Elkin
30. White & Case
31. Wiley Rein
32. Williams Connolly
33. Wilkie
34. WSGR
35. WilmerHale

what should I nix, who am I missing?

also, should I be mass mailing now or wait?

dood

Gold

Re: Another GWU kid struggling with his OCI list

Post by dood » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:05 pm

a 3.75 at gw oci 2 years ago would have gotten you 20+ screeners, your list looks fine, wouldnt really sweat it.

zuluwarriors

New

Post by zuluwarriors » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:08 pm

dood wrote:a 3.75 at gw oci 2 years ago would have gotten you 20+ screeners, your list looks fine, wouldnt really sweat it.
+1. 3.75 should be between top 5%-10%.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:11 pm

dood wrote:a 3.75 at gw oci 2 years ago would have gotten you 20+ screeners, your list looks fine, wouldnt really sweat it.
thanks dood! TLS, along with my fellow 1L's, have made me as paranoid as ever.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thanks dood! TLS, along with my fellow 1L's, have made me as paranoid as ever.
Yeah you're totally fine with that list, and with the grades you have unless you completely bombed the journal competition it's likely you'll make LR too. The biggest thing for you is to figure out if you want litigation or transactional work. I guarantee that'll be a question asked of you in at least 1/2 of your interviews. In addition, since most firms in DC mainly do litigation or regulatory work, if you want corporate, you need to bid on a bunch of NY firms as well to ensure you get something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote: The biggest thing for you is to figure out if you want litigation or transactional work. I guarantee that'll be a question asked of you in at least 1/2 of your interviews. In addition, since most firms in DC mainly do litigation or regulatory work, if you want corporate, you need to bid on a bunch of NY firms as well to ensure you get something.
Ideally, I'd like to regulatory/lit work, so DC works out well. As for NY, I figure I'll have my canned responses for corporate work.

On another note, would I have a shot at west coast SF/LA firms if I mass mail?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”