Lets Talk Seattle... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:25 pm

Still waiting for my Perkins rejection call. CB over a month ago. Maybe they just forgot about me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:It looks like I'm going to accept an SA position at a small, relatively less-well-known firm in Seattle (I won't say which because they're only taking one summer). Assuming I do well next summer and everything and get a permanent offer, would there be a possibility of moving into Seattle Biglaw after a couple of years? Or am I kind of doomed? I had really wanted DWT or K&L but my grades aren't perfect so I am probably lucky to have anything in the city at all. But I don't know if I'm ready to give up the Biglaw dream. Medianish at East Coast T14, fwiw.
Relatively new associate in Seattle Biglaw firm here - there's definitely more lateral openings so your chances should be better in a few years provided that your practice matches well with the needs of the market.
One word of advice - network like hell once you get here. The market is incredibly insular, and you want that to work to your advantage when you make your move in a few years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:50 pm

Is there anyone else who hasn't heard back from a firm (or firms) after their CBs? I'm guessing there are people still sitting on offers for some reason (in which case please just accept or reject them because you're ruining my life).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:34 am

is the fact that i didnt receive a rejection from DLA a bad thing? should I send another email of interest with the firm? thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:is the fact that i didnt receive a rejection from DLA a bad thing? should I send another email of interest with the firm? thanks
Lol same. Applied to DLA seattle like 3 months ago. Never heard a single thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:is the fact that i didnt receive a rejection from DLA a bad thing? should I send another email of interest with the firm? thanks

have you contacted them since? I'm assuming you haven't heard from others as well, correct?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

have you contacted them since? I'm assuming you haven't heard from others as well, correct?
Nope, havent contacted DLA. Heard back from all other Sea firms. All dings.

BearState

Bronze

Post by BearState » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Nope, havent contacted DLA. Heard back from all other Sea firms. All dings.
DLA Seattle usually hires 1-2 SAs a year, and in my experience weren't great at keeping other up to date. Worth reaching out to confirm though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:37 am

For Biglaw firms not already at 145/165, do you think the significantly decreased corporate & pass-through entity tax rates in Trump's proposed system (or something else, aside from broader market uncertainties) will push these firms to increase before next fall?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:39 pm

Updated salary bumps on NALP

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It looks like I'm going to accept an SA position at a small, relatively less-well-known firm in Seattle (I won't say which because they're only taking one summer). Assuming I do well next summer and everything and get a permanent offer, would there be a possibility of moving into Seattle Biglaw after a couple of years? Or am I kind of doomed? I had really wanted DWT or K&L but my grades aren't perfect so I am probably lucky to have anything in the city at all. But I don't know if I'm ready to give up the Biglaw dream. Medianish at East Coast T14, fwiw.
Relatively new associate in Seattle Biglaw firm here - there's definitely more lateral openings so your chances should be better in a few years provided that your practice matches well with the needs of the market.
One word of advice - network like hell once you get here. The market is incredibly insular, and you want that to work to your advantage when you make your move in a few years.
Not OP, but in a similar situation. Can you expand on what you mean by "insular" beyond the initial difficulty of breaking into the market? My concern would be whether the smaller market size makes it tough to interview at another firm without your firm finding out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:For Biglaw firms not already at 145/165, do you think the significantly decreased corporate & pass-through entity tax rates in Trump's proposed system (or something else, aside from broader market uncertainties) will push these firms to increase before next fall?
Who knows. Total speculation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Not OP, but in a similar situation. Can you expand on what you mean by "insular" beyond the initial difficulty of breaking into the market? My concern would be whether the smaller market size makes it tough to interview at another firm without your firm finding out.
I think it is insular as in everyone knows each other, and the fact that Seattle is a relatively smaller city, so there are simply less attorneys and more of them know each other

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:11 am

Thoughts on where to live and how quickly apartments turn over? Generally looking to be within 20-30 min walking of downtown (Belltown, Lower Queen Anne, Cap Hill). Heard SLU is exceptionally pricey.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on where to live and how quickly apartments turn over? Generally looking to be within 20-30 min walking of downtown (Belltown, Lower Queen Anne, Cap Hill). Heard SLU is exceptionally pricey.
Capitol hill can be more affordable, but it is a weird neighborhood (occasional shooting, lots of hippie stuff, but also tons of restaurants and things to do/great night life). SLU is pricey. Belltown has some very affordable places; I'd check there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:32 pm

Any news on offers going out from Perkins Seattle?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:07 pm

Bump for PC offers

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:21 pm

Not a 2L but curious: does anyone know why PC no-offered 3/14 last summer (per NALP)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:06 pm

Snail mail ding from Lane Powell, FINALLY. Interview was pre-OCI in July.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:53 am

Any word of offers from DWT?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:28 pm

Paranoid deletion for information that was probably fine and anonymous anyway. Sorry folks, please go about your business.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not a 2L but curious: does anyone know why PC no-offered 3/14 last summer (per NALP)?
No, but let me check with someone who might know something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:24 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on King County Department of Public Defense? Hard to find information on them outside of their website.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:44 pm

Any 2018 updates from anyone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For Biglaw firms not already at 145/165, do you think the significantly decreased corporate & pass-through entity tax rates in Trump's proposed system (or something else, aside from broader market uncertainties) will push these firms to increase before next fall?
Old post, but relevant again with major markets moving to 190k. By far, the biggest factor affecting PNW salaries is what Perkins Coie does. When PC moves, the rest of the Seattle market follows (and to a lesser extent, PDX). The satellite offices paying 180k/190k aren't large enough to impact the market as a whole, and DWT has never been (and likely will never be) a compensation leader.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”