GW OCI 2012

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

GW OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:16 pm

GW OCI 2012
_________________________

Now that we 1Ls have our grades/scholar designations back, we can discuss OCI, bidding strategies and also screeners/callbacks/offers, etc.

When posting your screener results; post rank and journal (law review or secondary journal) and where you bid. This thread will be helpful for next year's 1Ls.

Here's the format to post:

Market(s):
Approximate class rank (GW/Thurgood/Median):
Law review (Y/N):
Work experience (Y/N):
IP background (Y/N):
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really):
Screening Interviews:
Mass mails:
Callbacks received:
Callbacks accepted:
Offers w/vault ranges:
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?
Thank-you notes sent:

Dreamcatcher.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:24 pm

Do we have any idea when journal announcements are even coming out?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do we have any idea when journal announcements are even coming out?

I heard end of June/beginning of July. Last year I think they heard by July 11th, but I think grades maybe came out earlier this year, so maybe the journal announcements will come out slightly sooner? I am hoping that's the case, but we will see. I want to know for the mass mailings I plan on doing.

Dreamcatcher.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:56 pm

Yeah. I didn't know because I looked through all the information they gave us and none of it seems to have a date, or even a month.

User avatar
Rock
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:28 pm

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby Rock » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:40 pm

-nm
Last edited by Rock on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:08 pm

Alright. Well I'll go first.

Anyone have a sense of where I should be aiming with my bids? I know my GPA makes me about as competitive as kids from GW get, but not sure how "high" this gets me.

Market(s): DC (Ties/Hometown); NYC (no ties);
Approximate class rank (GW/Thurgood/Median): GW, top 1% using 2011 NALP cutoffs and TLS estimator (but who really knows)
Law review (Y/N): Don't know yet
Work experience (Y/N): Y, 3-4 years in professional, client service industry; 1L SA
IP background (Y/N): N
Screening Interviews:
Mass mails:
Callbacks received:
Callbacks accepted:
Offers w/vault ranges:
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?
Thank-you notes sent:

Love,
Suzy Greenberg

ETA to put in requested format.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Rock
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:28 pm

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby Rock » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Alright. Well I'll go first. I'm above the NALP listed top 3% cutoff (about 0.1), so conservatively I'm in the top 2%, but probably a little higher (although who the hell really knows). I have a 3-4 years of professional (non-paralegal) work experience in a client service industry and interview fairly well. Shooting for DC or NYC, but am open to some smaller nearby markets like Baltimore or Richmond. Interested in either litigation or deal work, and of course, have no IP background.

Anyone have a sense of where I should be aiming with my bids? I know my GPA makes me about as competitive as kids from GW get, but not sure how "high" this gets me.


viewtopic.php?f=23&t=187149
This thread has good info. I am in the same boat. By the way, how do you think that top three percent breaks down? I heard about a person last semester who had a 4.333 from either the night or the half-night half-day section. It made me wonder if it is spread from 3.84 up to 4.xx.

minnesota_kid
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:17 pm

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby minnesota_kid » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:21 pm

Is there anything on the Portal regarding bid history? By that I mean any information that shows how students with certain GPAs did during OCI? I know that the school in Judiciary Square has something like this.

User avatar
monkey85
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby monkey85 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:27 pm

GW 3L here - post information more akin to the "form" below, rather than paragraphs. It is easier to read.

Market(s):
Approximate class rank (GW/Thurgood/Median):
Law review (Y/N):
Work experience (Y/N):
IP background (Y/N):
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really):
Screening Interviews:
Mass mails:
Callbacks received:
Callbacks accepted:
Offers w/vault ranges:
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?
Thank-you notes sent:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:30 pm

Rock wrote:This thread will be more helpful for future students if people have a username they can post on without going anonymous. Not sure if alternate usernames are kosher with TLS rules, but it would be really helpful for future students. just saying.

I would not post anonymously but I would be outed if I used my normal account. I wonder if I could make an alternate name though . . .

minnesota_kid wrote:Is there anything on the Portal regarding bid history? By that I mean any information that shows how students with certain GPAs did during OCI? I know that the school in Judiciary Square has something like this.

I know the student portal with the FRP packet has a list of the # of bids from last year and the # of screeners per firm, but it doesn't have the GPAs of who got the screeners. Old OCI threads can give you some idea of the number of screeners you will get based on GPA/rank, but don't know if the CDO has more specific information.

Dreamcatcher.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:12 am

monkey85 wrote:GW 3L here - post information more akin to the "form" below, rather than paragraphs. It is easier to read.

Thanks, modified it for now. Will update with the rest of the stuff when it comes to that time.

Market(s): DC, LA (strong ties)
Approximate class rank (GW/Thurgood/Median): GW (lower end)
Law review (Y/N): No, secondary journal
Work experience (Y/N): Yes, 2 and 1/2 years WE, but nothing special - mostly government work; doing judicial internship this summer
IP background (Y/N): N
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): No, not really.
Screening Interviews: 9/13 (NY), 16/35 (DC)
Mass mails:
Callbacks received: 2 (LA)
Callbacks accepted: 2 (LA)
Offers w/vault ranges:
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?
Thank-you notes sent:

Dreamcatcher.

Edited.
8/2 Update. Added screeners + callback.
8/6 Update. # of OCI screeners.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 8 times in total.

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Alright. Well I'll go first. I'm above the NALP listed top 3% cutoff (about 0.1), so conservatively I'm in the top 2%, but probably a little higher (although who the hell really knows). I have a 3-4 years of professional (non-paralegal) work experience in a client service industry and interview fairly well. Shooting for DC or NYC, but am open to some smaller nearby markets like Baltimore or Richmond. Interested in either litigation or deal work, and of course, have no IP background.

Anyone have a sense of where I should be aiming with my bids? I know my GPA makes me about as competitive as kids from GW get, but not sure how "high" this gets me.

Hmm...I think you have a good shot at most/all the firms coming to OCI, but maybe for the higher ones - shoot for NY which has larger class sizes? Also some of the NY slots seemed less competitive when looking at screener #s in the FRP packet simply because less people seemed to apply?? I could be way off base though on this...

But I think you can possibly target firms like Gibson Dunn, Sullivan & Cromwell, Kirkland, Jones Day, etc. I may have CDO look over your list, if you are not sure. One way to check is looking at how many lawyers are from GW in the office you are targeting. If none, might be too much of a reach.

User avatar
Rock
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:28 pm

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby Rock » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:55 am

nm
Last edited by Rock on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:36 am

As noted in the UVA thread, we'd like to suggest that you follow the HLS thread's lead and "sign" your anon posts throughout the thread to clear up the anon confusion. As a gentle reminder, alts are not allowed unless they have been officially cleared by the mods. Best of luck!

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby dood » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
monkey85 wrote:GW 3L here - post information more akin to the "form" below, rather than paragraphs. It is easier to read.

Thanks, modified it for now. Will update with the rest of the stuff when it comes to that time.

Market(s): DC (Gov. Ks); NY (no ties); LA (strong ties)
Approximate class rank (GW/Thurgood/Median): GW (lower end)
Law review (Y/N): not available yet
Work experience (Y/N): Yes, 2 and 1/2 years WE, but nothing special - mostly government work; doing judicial internship this summer
IP background (Y/N): No
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): No, not really.

Applying to the lower DC firms, especially ones with Gov K practices. Also, do I have a shot at Arnold & Porter (NY)? Linklaters (NY)? Kaye Scholer (NY?) WilmerHale (DC)? Also is it a complete waste of a bid to apply to one of the government positions even if you really want it?


no shot at listed firms whatsoever. stick with ur first plan -> lower DC firms with gov. Ks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:25 am

dood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
monkey85 wrote:GW 3L here - post information more akin to the "form" below, rather than paragraphs. It is easier to read.

Thanks, modified it for now. Will update with the rest of the stuff when it comes to that time.

Market(s): DC (Gov. Ks); NY (no ties); LA (strong ties)
Approximate class rank (GW/Thurgood/Median): GW (lower end)
Law review (Y/N): not available yet
Work experience (Y/N): Yes, 2 and 1/2 years WE, but nothing special - mostly government work; doing judicial internship this summer
IP background (Y/N): No
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): No, not really.

Applying to the lower DC firms, especially ones with Gov K practices. Also, do I have a shot at Arnold & Porter (NY)? Linklaters (NY)? Kaye Scholer (NY?) WilmerHale (DC)? Also is it a complete waste of a bid to apply to one of the government positions even if you really want it?


no shot at listed firms whatsoever. stick with ur first plan -> lower DC firms with gov. Ks.


Thanks dood. That helps me narrow my list. What about gov. positions? US GAO, JAG, etc.?

Dreamcatcher.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:39 am

Will edit/add info as it becomes available
Market(s): DC! NY
Approximate class rank (GW/Thurgood/Median): GW
Law review (Y/N): Yes
Work experience (Y/N): Yes, inconsequential
IP background (Y/N): No
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): No
FRP Screening Interviews (DC): 24
NY Regional Screening Interviews:13
PHI Regional Screening Interviews:N/A
Resume Drop Screening Interviews:
Mass-Mail Screening Interviews: 3
Call-backs received by region: 3 NY 4 DC
Call-backs accepted by region: 3 NY 4 DC
Offers w/ vault ranges: 2 DC offers V50, V100
Firms w/ no-response - named and shamed:
Thank-you notes sent: All DC
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:38 am, edited 5 times in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:44 am

Rock wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Alright. Well I'll go first. I'm above the NALP listed top 3% cutoff (about 0.1), so conservatively I'm in the top 2%, but probably a little higher (although who the hell really knows). I have a 3-4 years of professional (non-paralegal) work experience in a client service industry and interview fairly well. Shooting for DC or NYC, but am open to some smaller nearby markets like Baltimore or Richmond. Interested in either litigation or deal work, and of course, have no IP background.

Anyone have a sense of where I should be aiming with my bids? I know my GPA makes me about as competitive as kids from GW get, but not sure how "high" this gets me.


viewtopic.php?f=23&t=187149
This thread has good info. I am in the same boat. By the way, how do you think that top three percent breaks down? I heard about a person last semester who had a 4.333 from either the night or the half-night half-day section. It made me wonder if it is spread from 3.84 up to 4.xx.


"4.333 from the night section" sounds awfully urban-legendy to me (I sure hope so, anyway), although you never know. I knew a kid who, several years ago, enrolled in the part time section but didn't have a job and got a 4.+, but not sure how high.

Anyway, I guess it's impossible to know without them telling us. With that few people (NALP says 19, I think?) it could be all over the map.

Love,
Suzy Greenberg

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:32 pm

The "Direct Write Campaign" powerpoint off the portal has seemingly conflicting information. One slide says to target employers that do not interview or take resume drops during FRP. Another slide says to direct write interesting firms that didn't fit within your 35 bids. Is that CDO's coy way of saying the best option is to direct write non-FRP, but it really doesn't matter if you direct write FRP firms too?

:mrgreen: Rocksteady and Bebop :mrgreen:

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:The "Direct Write Campaign" powerpoint off the portal has seemingly conflicting information. One slide says to target employers that do not interview or take resume drops during FRP. Another slide says to direct write interesting firms that didn't fit within your 35 bids. Is that CDO's coy way of saying the best option is to direct write non-FRP, but it really doesn't matter if you direct write FRP firms too?

:mrgreen: Rocksteady and Bebop :mrgreen:


I think what they may be trying to say is to bid with your 35 bids. Then direct write firms that are participating at OCI that you did not use a bid on and also to direct firms who are not participating in OCI.

I guess one way to do a direct write is also through the resume drop as well as just mass mailing firms.

I don't know if one is better than the other but you probably will have more success direct writing firms that are not FRP simply because the firm will a) be wondering why you didn't bid them if you really wanted to work there; b) that firm will do most of its hiring through OCI and c) you would probably be direct writing smaller firms in smaller markets.

call saul
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby call saul » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:"4.333 from the night section" sounds awfully urban-legendy to me (I sure hope so, anyway), although you never know. I knew a kid who, several years ago, enrolled in the part time section but didn't have a job and got a 4.+, but not sure how high.


That student definitely exists. I took classes with him and definitely know he works during the day. I'm positive he picked up above a 4.0 (probably not straight A+'s) this semester too. He's tearing it up and making life miserable for sections 15/21.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:03 am

call saul wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:"4.333 from the night section" sounds awfully urban-legendy to me (I sure hope so, anyway), although you never know. I knew a kid who, several years ago, enrolled in the part time section but didn't have a job and got a 4.+, but not sure how high.


That student definitely exists. I took classes with him and definitely know he works during the day. I'm positive he picked up above a 4.0 (probably not straight A+'s) this semester too. He's tearing it up and making life miserable for sections 15/21.


Wow. That's pretty incredible. Is he part time, as in, he will compete with next year's crop of 1Ls for jobs?

-Suzy Greenberg

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:04 am

Will edit/add info as it becomes available
Market(s): DC (ties); LA (ties); NY; SF
Approximate class rank (GW/Thurgood/Median): middle of GW
Law review (Y/N): I hope to god
Work experience (Y/N): Some/Little
IP background (Y/N): No
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): technically diverse
FRP Screening Interviews (DC):
NY Regional Screening Interviews:
PHI Regional Screening Interviews:
Resume Drop Screening Interviews:
Mass-Mail Screening Interviews:
Call-backs received by region:
Call-backs accepted by region:
Offers w/ vault ranges:
Firms w/ no-response - named and shamed:
Thank-you notes sent:

I talked to the CDO and was reassured that I have a shot with everyone that's coming to OCI. I dont know how comfortable I am with that advice. For someone that is slightly within the top 10% (per TLS calculator and NALP) are there any firms that I shouldn't bid on?

*RandomSig*

call saul
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby call saul » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
call saul wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:"4.333 from the night section" sounds awfully urban-legendy to me (I sure hope so, anyway), although you never know. I knew a kid who, several years ago, enrolled in the part time section but didn't have a job and got a 4.+, but not sure how high.


That student definitely exists. I took classes with him and definitely know he works during the day. I'm positive he picked up above a 4.0 (probably not straight A+'s) this semester too. He's tearing it up and making life miserable for sections 15/21.


Wow. That's pretty incredible. Is he part time, as in, he will compete with next year's crop of 1Ls for jobs?

-Suzy Greenberg



He's an evening student. You don't have to fear him at OCI... but maybe in actual practice.

dudders
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby dudders » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:27 am

minnesota_kid wrote:Is there anything on the Portal regarding bid history? By that I mean any information that shows how students with certain GPAs did during OCI? I know that the school in Judiciary Square has something like this.


This info doesn't exist. It's in that category of "too helpful" for the CDO to provide.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.