Philly vs DC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Philly vs DC

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:37 pm

I'm struggling to decide between Philly and DC for the long haul and have pretty strong ties to both. I actually slightly prefer Philly but I'm concerned about the legal market and exit opportunities out of a firm there. What are people's thoughts on the Philly legal market? Would I be limiting future options? Is the work less interesting, given that it's halfway between NYC and DC and I assume major work would go to one or the other? Or am I over thinking all of this?

Thanks!

(Posting anon because I don't want people at my firm to know this and I'm pretty easily outed on here)

AreJay711

Gold

Re: Philly vs DC

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:23 pm

I have no idea about the Philly legal market but I imagine it is like Baltimore's (except bigger and probably better). If you want to be there over the long haul, the exit options to the Philly area from comparable firms in Philly wouldn't be any worse than D.C. and they could be a lot better. Overall there are more options in D.C. obviously but if they are options you don't want, who cares? Maybe if it were NYC corporate it might be different.

Law Sauce

Silver

Re: Philly vs DC

Post by Law Sauce » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:31 pm

Yes, you are over thinking it. There are a few top firms in Philly which will give you similar exit options (FYI none of them pay 160k to first years). And yes, it is a bigger market then Baltimore with more firms that are nationally focused, but are actually Philly firms. DC attracts certain types of practices so does NYC (the former regulatory and the later financial services, Philly firms do not seem to really specialize in either of these). At least some of the bigger Philly firms are more full service, but seem to have a lot of business clients. As far as other areas of top quality work, businesses hire lawyers, not firms. Some top notch lawyers work from Philly. It is that simple. It is worth noting that Philly firms have most of the foremost large class-action tort suit lawyers for whatever reason.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”