NU Bidding Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NU Bidding Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:13 pm

There have been two of these already and I planned on starting a third so I figured I'd create a thread for it.

3.65, 1L SA...shot at Sidley/KandE? DC out of play?

Anonymous User

Re: NU Bidding Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There have been two of these already and I planned on starting a third so I figured I'd create a thread for it.

3.65, 1L SA...shot at Sidley/KandE? DC out of play?
Some DC firms should be in play. You probably will not get LR with that GPA, unless your writing comp submission was amazing. So the high end DC offices are out (e.g., W&C, Wilmer). But with DC ties and strong interview skills, middle-to-upper tier DC firms like Hogan and Jones Day are a pretty good bet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:21 am

Sorry to glom onto this one, but I'm 3.75 at NU shooting for DC. Basics: WE in DC prior to law school, government internship in DC this summer. I presume that Covington, WilmerHale, W&C are out (tear), but how high could I be shooting? Sidley? Arnold & Porter?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:05 am

DC is insanely competitive, and nobody outside top 10%+LR is a lock for any DC firm. If you bid DC, bid NYC as well as a backup. DC firms can be bid pretty low (I think I got Hogan with a 20+ bid two years ago), because they're not a popular market at NU.

That said, Sidley DC is possible with a 3.65 if you're otherwise a superstar. I'm talking substantive experience in relevant areas sort of qualifications, plus a top 5% personality. Do not underestimate the competitiveness of "middle to upper" tier DC firms. Places like Hogan or A&P are harder to get than NYC V5's. The branch offices of Kirkland, Latham, Jones Day, etc, are also extremely selective, certainly the most selective of any of these firms' offices.

With a 3.65-3.75, places like Sidley, Hogan, and A&P are reaches. Your targets are places like Patton Boggs, Wiley Rein, etc. Realize that DC is much less consolidated than NYC or Chicago, so there are a lot of firms like these that are not highly ranked by Vault but have leading practice areas in their particular niche. You need to parlay your background into a connection with these firms. It's also important to mass-mail, because not all of these smaller firms are coming to OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to glom onto this one, but I'm 3.75 at NU shooting for DC. Basics: WE in DC prior to law school, government internship in DC this summer. I presume that Covington, WilmerHale, W&C are out (tear), but how high could I be shooting? Sidley? Arnold & Porter?
Wilmer is a reach but I wouldn't rule it out. Sidley is a pretty good target. A&P too, though their hiring can be erratic.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”