2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:28 pm

Rising 2L here, just finished my 1L year few weeks ago. So last semester, I got decent grades (except for one): A, A-, A-, and a B-. After my grades came out last semester, I vowed not to get a B- again. Nevertheless, here am I and it happened again. My grades this semester are identical A, A-, A-, and B- (although the damage of the B- may be mitigated because it is for a 3-unit elective course rather than a 4-unit regulatory course). I know statistically speaking I should be well over median here at Penn. But the fact is that I do have 2 B-minuses. How much do you think this will hurt me in OCI this summer? And any advice on how I should explain my disparate grades? What kind of firms am I looking at assuming I do average on interviews?

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:34 pm

What's median at Penn and what classes did you get the B- in?

If you are well over median, you'll do fine at OCI (You'll probably even do "fine" at median). Just don't look like a whiny person when asked about it at OCI or in callbacks.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby rayiner » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rising 2L here, just finished my 1L year few weeks ago. So last semester, I got decent grades (except for one): A, A-, A-, and a B-. After my grades came out last semester, I vowed not to get a B- again. Nevertheless, here am I and it happened again. My grades this semester are identical A, A-, A-, and B- (although the damage of the B- may be mitigated because it is for a 3-unit elective course rather than a 4-unit regulatory course). I know statistically speaking I should be well over median here at Penn. But the fact is that I do have 2 B-minuses. How much do you think this will hurt me in OCI this summer? And any advice on how I should explain my disparate grades? What kind of firms am I looking at assuming I do average on interviews?


3.5 should be well above median at Penn. Nobody will care about the B-'s.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby dpk711 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:37 pm

i think median is between 3.2 and 3.3

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:38 pm

I think you are fine. Be yourself at OCI and enjoy 2L and your summer associate position.

User avatar
OutCold
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby OutCold » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:46 pm

You are significantly above median. Don't worry about it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:13 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:What's median at Penn and what classes did you get the B- in?

If you are well over median, you'll do fine at OCI (You'll probably even do "fine" at median). Just don't look like a whiny person when asked about it at OCI or in callbacks.


As mentioned before, I believe median is somewhere right under 3.3, I got the B- in contracts the first semester and environmental law the second semester.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:20 pm

You are fine. Better than fine. If asked, just explain that the class was taught by a non-law professor teaching it for the only time and you approached it differently.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby Veyron » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:25 pm

You're an idiot (and I mean that in the most collegial way possible). If you don't stop worrying about THOSE grades and go have a beer RIGHT NOW, I will fly to Philadelphia and slap you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:28 pm

I don't know how employers will look at those B-s, but your grades are far better than friends I have who work at Debevoise, Cleary, Paul Weiss, & Skadden. Plus, I recruited 2 years ago when hiring was even worse. Those grades are fine for pretty much anywhere save the super exclusive spots.

penn0Ler
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:03 pm

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby penn0Ler » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know how employers will look at those B-s, but your grades are far better than friends I have who work at Debevoise, Cleary, Paul Weiss, & Skadden. Plus, I recruited 2 years ago when hiring was even worse. Those grades are fine for pretty much anywhere save the super exclusive spots.


3.5 is good enough for those places? Wow. So what firms does a 3.7ish disqualify you from? Is that good enough for Covington or Cravath?

Also, not to get too off topic, but does anyone have an idea of GPA is required to grade on to Penn Law Review?

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby rayiner » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:14 pm

penn0Ler wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't know how employers will look at those B-s, but your grades are far better than friends I have who work at Debevoise, Cleary, Paul Weiss, & Skadden. Plus, I recruited 2 years ago when hiring was even worse. Those grades are fine for pretty much anywhere save the super exclusive spots.


3.5 is good enough for those places? Wow. So what firms does a 3.7ish disqualify you from? Is that good enough for Covington or Cravath?

Also, not to get too off topic, but does anyone have an idea of GPA is required to grade on to Penn Law Review?


Remember, the V10+Deb, PW together account for maybe half the SA positions in NYC. They're great firms, but they can't be so super selective because they need to fill ~1,200 positions. During the boom, even Cravath would go below median at CCN and probably P.

Firms like W&C or Covington are in a different league of selectivity. DC is in high-demand amongst HYS and among post-clerks, and the upper echelon of DC firms probably has a couple of hundred positions between them.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15373
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby PennBull » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:12 pm

Veyron wrote:You're an idiot (and I mean that in the most collegial way possible). If you don't stop worrying about THOSE grades and go have a beer RIGHT NOW, I will fly to Philadelphia and slap you.


This.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:25 pm

PennBull wrote:
Veyron wrote:You're an idiot (and I mean that in the most collegial way possible). If you don't stop worrying about THOSE grades and go have a beer RIGHT NOW, I will fly to Philadelphia and slap you.


This.


Also, someone who would worry about this may not interview very well, which in turn warrants the worrying.

BTW, how's your summer going? Chill there?

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15373
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby PennBull » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:
PennBull wrote:
Veyron wrote:You're an idiot (and I mean that in the most collegial way possible). If you don't stop worrying about THOSE grades and go have a beer RIGHT NOW, I will fly to Philadelphia and slap you.


This.


Also, someone who would worry about this may not interview very well, which in turn warrants the worrying.

BTW, how's your summer going? Chill there?


Are you talking to me? Haha

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:32 pm

PennBull wrote:Are you talking to me? Haha


Yup lol

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby Veyron » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:
PennBull wrote:
Veyron wrote:You're an idiot (and I mean that in the most collegial way possible). If you don't stop worrying about THOSE grades and go have a beer RIGHT NOW, I will fly to Philadelphia and slap you.


This.


Also, someone who would worry about this may not interview very well, which in turn warrants the worrying.

BTW, how's your summer going? Chill there?


Meta worrying... I like it!

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15373
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby PennBull » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:56 pm

r6_philly wrote:
PennBull wrote:Are you talking to me? Haha


Yup lol


Having a great time. Super lucky to have this opportunity, looking forward to exploring DC a bit more once I get some free time. You holding down the Philly fort for us?

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:59 pm

PennBull wrote:
Veyron wrote:You're an idiot (and I mean that in the most collegial way possible). If you don't stop worrying about THOSE grades and go have a beer RIGHT NOW, I will fly to Philadelphia and slap you.


This.

Look at grade distributions. Pretty much every vault-ranked firm (including quite a few V10s) has some B-'s in the pie chart. With a 3.5, you're top 1/3 if I'm not mistaken (and at the very least you're significantly above median). Barring a complete aspie-out at OCI, you not only will be employed, but you'll have some damn great options to choose from.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:00 am

PennBull wrote:Having a great time. Super lucky to have this opportunity, looking forward to exploring DC a bit more once I get some free time. You holding down the Philly fort for us?


Cool man, have fun! I need to take a trip down there at some point. As for Philly, plenty of drinks flowing! See ya soon!

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby Veyron » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:15 am

HeavenWood wrote:
PennBull wrote:
Veyron wrote:You're an idiot (and I mean that in the most collegial way possible). If you don't stop worrying about THOSE grades and go have a beer RIGHT NOW, I will fly to Philadelphia and slap you.


This.

Look at grade distributions. Pretty much every vault-ranked firm (including quite a few V10s) has some B-'s in the pie chart. With a 3.5, you're top 1/3 if I'm not mistaken (and at the very least you're significantly above median). Barring a complete aspie-out at OCI, you not only will be employed, but you'll have some damn great options to choose from.


Those B- averages are for the most part either (a) from pre-recession years or (b) from very special candidates with unique skills or attributes.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:54 am

Veyron wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
PennBull wrote:
Veyron wrote:You're an idiot (and I mean that in the most collegial way possible). If you don't stop worrying about THOSE grades and go have a beer RIGHT NOW, I will fly to Philadelphia and slap you.


This.

Look at grade distributions. Pretty much every vault-ranked firm (including quite a few V10s) has some B-'s in the pie chart. With a 3.5, you're top 1/3 if I'm not mistaken (and at the very least you're significantly above median). Barring a complete aspie-out at OCI, you not only will be employed, but you'll have some damn great options to choose from.


Those B- averages are for the most part either (a) from pre-recession years or (b) from very special candidates with unique skills or attributes.

Wait I'm confused. I thought the pie chart was a composite of every grade from every successful candidate (ie, a sliver of B-'s would be indicative of the occasional B- grade or two). If that's not the case and they actually represent approximations of grade averages, you just made me very very very happy.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby Veyron » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:08 am

Sure. But they don't represent the approximations of grade averages over just the past year but rather over the past (4 I believe) years. Still better than what you thought though I would suspect.

thegrayman
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby thegrayman » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:54 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
PennBull wrote:
Veyron wrote:You're an idiot (and I mean that in the most collegial way possible). If you don't stop worrying about THOSE grades and go have a beer RIGHT NOW, I will fly to Philadelphia and slap you.


This.

Look at grade distributions. Pretty much every vault-ranked firm (including quite a few V10s) has some B-'s in the pie chart. With a 3.5, you're top 1/3 if I'm not mistaken (and at the very least you're significantly above median). Barring a complete aspie-out at OCI, you not only will be employed, but you'll have some damn great options to choose from.


Where do you look up the grade distributions?

User avatar
OutCold
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: 2 B-minuses at Penn, how bad is that for OCI this summer?

Postby OutCold » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:14 pm

thegrayman wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
PennBull wrote:
Veyron wrote:You're an idiot (and I mean that in the most collegial way possible). If you don't stop worrying about THOSE grades and go have a beer RIGHT NOW, I will fly to Philadelphia and slap you.


This.

Look at grade distributions. Pretty much every vault-ranked firm (including quite a few V10s) has some B-'s in the pie chart. With a 3.5, you're top 1/3 if I'm not mistaken (and at the very least you're significantly above median). Barring a complete aspie-out at OCI, you not only will be employed, but you'll have some damn great options to choose from.


Where do you look up the grade distributions?


Under the CPP fall recruiting stuff on the Goat.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.