PSA: posting "[grades] at [school] - OCI?" threads

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

PSA: posting "[grades] at [school] - OCI?" threads

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:42 pm

Even from good schools, outside maybe the very top grades, strike out at OCI is always possible to some degree. Consider bad bidding or shitty interviewing. Similarly, some people with low grades get biglaw due to WE/IP/URM/ties to insular markets/connections.

So quit making threads like "3.1 GPA - fucked?" without more info. OCI isn't a mathematical function where you put in your GPA and out pops a Vault ranking. That's not how it works; this is NOT like law school admissions. And what if someone told you that you were, in fact, fucked. Would you really just not do OCI or mail any firms? That would be sublimely idiotic.

HTH.
Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
DCDuck
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:27 pm

Re: PSA for all you people posting [grades] at [school] threads

Postby DCDuck » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:46 pm

Thank you!

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: PSA: posting "[grades] at [school] - OCI?" threads

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:22 pm

I just wanted to know what to expect. Knowing that almost everyone at my school in my gpa range will have biglaw jerbs helps.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: PSA: posting "[grades] at [school] - OCI?" threads

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just wanted to know what to expect. Knowing that almost everyone at my school in my gpa range will have biglaw jerbs helps.


No it doesn't . If anything, it hurts. You'll develop a false sense of security and a sense of entitlement and not prepare the way you should. You'll wonder how everyone else with your GPA got jobs and curse firms for stupidly hiring kids with low GPAs. And it'll be your own damn fault for not driving yourself hard enough because your thought it was a lock.

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: PSA: posting "[grades] at [school] - OCI?" threads

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:18 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just wanted to know what to expect. Knowing that almost everyone at my school in my gpa range will have biglaw jerbs helps.


No it doesn't . If anything, it hurts. You'll develop a false sense of security and a sense of entitlement and not prepare the way you should. You'll wonder how everyone else with your GPA got jobs and curse firms for stupidly hiring kids with low GPAs. And it'll be your own damn fault for not driving yourself hard enough because your thought it was a lock.
Are you talking from personal experience?

ajaxconstructions
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 12:24 am

Re: PSA: posting "[grades] at [school] - OCI?" threads

Postby ajaxconstructions » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:32 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just wanted to know what to expect. Knowing that almost everyone at my school in my gpa range will have biglaw jerbs helps.


No it doesn't . If anything, it hurts. You'll develop a false sense of security and a sense of entitlement and not prepare the way you should. You'll wonder how everyone else with your GPA got jobs and curse firms for stupidly hiring kids with low GPAs. And it'll be your own damn fault for not driving yourself hard enough because your thought it was a lock.


No you fucking idiot, some people are more motivated when they know they have a good chance at something. Think the kid with a 3.1 is more motivated or the guy with the 3.9? It depends entirely on the person.

Warning: This is not an okay use of the anon feature.

SHANbangs
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:36 am

Re: PSA: posting "[grades] at [school] - OCI?" threads

Postby SHANbangs » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:38 pm

ppl post for psychological assurance. They're trying to get a sense of "virtual community support" as well. It isn't very logical or actually helpful to the poster, but so what. Let them post and let people respond. If you don't like it, ignore the post. It's TLS - didn't know there was a ban on pointless threads.

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: PSA: posting "[grades] at [school] - OCI?" threads

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:39 pm

Stop abusing the anon feature.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: PSA: posting "[grades] at [school] - OCI?" threads

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ppl post for psychological assurance. They're trying to get a sense of "virtual community support" as well. It isn't very logical or actually helpful to the poster, but so what. Let them post and let people respond. If you don't like it, ignore the post. It's TLS - didn't know there was a ban on pointless threads.

There is a ban on using anon to disassociate your username from obvious butthurt.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5549
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: PSA: posting "[grades] at [school] - OCI?" threads

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:49 pm

law firm hiring is a lot like finding a law school. You put in two variables (rank and school) and we tell you exactly where you'll end up (e.g. V27). This is definitely how legal hiring works, and people who post threads like "3.27 at Michigan, what do?" totally shouldn't feel retarded and ashamed.

shmoo597
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:31 pm

Re: PSA: posting "[grades] at [school] - OCI?" threads

Postby shmoo597 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:14 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:law firm hiring is a lot like finding a law school. You put in two variables (rank and school) and we tell you exactly where you'll end up (e.g. V27). This is definitely how legal hiring works, and people who post threads like "3.27 at Michigan, what do?" totally shouldn't feel retarded and ashamed.


lol at someone with over 11,500 posts on a law school admissions forum calling someone looking for totally valid and useful information "retarded and ashamed," just lol.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: PSA: posting "[grades] at [school] - OCI?" threads

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:28 pm

shmoo597 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:law firm hiring is a lot like finding a law school. You put in two variables (rank and school) and we tell you exactly where you'll end up (e.g. V27). This is definitely how legal hiring works, and people who post threads like "3.27 at Michigan, what do?" totally shouldn't feel retarded and ashamed.


lol at someone with over 11,500 posts on a law school admissions forum calling someone looking for totally valid and useful information "retarded and ashamed," just lol.

Lol @ someone who's been on here since 2008 calling someone out for TLS activity, just lol.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1073
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: PSA: posting "[grades] at [school] - OCI?" threads

Postby wiseowl » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:39 pm

we should really just make a "What are My Chances" thread like we do every year

just tired of the whole LE board being "I'm median at X, am I fucked?"

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2257
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: PSA: posting "[grades] at [school] - OCI?" threads

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:53 pm

shmoo597 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:law firm hiring is a lot like finding a law school. You put in two variables (rank and school) and we tell you exactly where you'll end up (e.g. V27). This is definitely how legal hiring works, and people who post threads like "3.27 at Michigan, what do?" totally shouldn't feel retarded and ashamed.


lol at someone with over 11,500 posts on a law school admissions forum calling someone looking for totally valid and useful information "retarded and ashamed," just lol.


You tried hard but failed miserably. Good try though.

shmoo597
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:31 pm

Re: PSA: posting "[grades] at [school] - OCI?" threads

Postby shmoo597 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:18 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
You tried hard but failed miserably. Good try though.


hmm, hows that?

rad lulz wrote:Lol @ someone who's been on here since 2008 calling someone out for TLS activity, just lol.


hmm, hows that?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: PSA: posting "[grades] at [school] - OCI?" threads

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
You tried hard but failed miserably. Good try though.


hmm, hows that?

rad lulz wrote:Lol @ someone who's been on here since 2008 calling someone out for TLS activity, just lol.


hmm, hows that?

I also like to anon so I won't get called out for making nonsensical poasts.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: PSA: posting "[grades] at [school] - OCI?" threads

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:15 am

bump

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 12118
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: PSA: posting "[grades] at [school] - OCI?" threads

Postby ilovesf » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:27 am

Rad, how do you feel about people posting bid lists?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: PSA: posting "[grades] at [school] - OCI?" threads

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:31 am

ilovesf wrote:Rad, how do you feel about people posting bid lists?


Poast, but it's a lot more helpful when you include moar info about yourself other than just grades and school. That way people can tell you shit like "Oh, you want transactional? Don't bid Quinn and Boies hurr durr" and stuff like that.



Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: PSA: posting "[grades] at [school] - OCI?" threads

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:55 am



I am anonymous quoting this because I do not want to reveal my GPA, I am the second poster.

Look--I was very upset, and although I know that you are correct NO ONE can give me a percise reason to this question I am in a very tough spot. A part of me wants to quit and another just wants to cry all day.

I had a really rough day and a part of me just wanted people to be honest--instead of having family tell me its ok I will find a job--I need to evaluate my CHANCES realistically. You are correct, I should have been more proactive and posted more info---I now added a bunch.

Once again, so sorry for being annoying--but I felt desperate which is why I posted in the forum.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: PSA: posting "[grades] at [school] - OCI?" threads

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:


I am anonymous quoting this because I do not want to reveal my GPA, I am the second poster.

Look--I was very upset, and although I know that you are correct NO ONE can give me a percise reason to this question I am in a very tough spot. A part of me wants to quit and another just wants to cry all day.

I had a really rough day and a part of me just wanted people to be honest--instead of having family tell me its ok I will find a job--I need to evaluate my CHANCES realistically. You are correct, I should have been more proactive and posted more info---I now added a bunch.

Once again, so sorry for being annoying--but I felt desperate which is why I posted in the forum.

You still have 2 grades left. Chill out for now.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.