Apply for (non-clerkship) jobs before passing bar as 3L?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Apply for (non-clerkship) jobs before passing bar as 3L?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 29, 2012 10:47 pm

My question is when am I starting to apply for post-grad jobs if I dont have an offer after 2L summer. I'm assuming 3LOLCI wont net me anything, and I am wondering whether small firms/PI/etc. want to see that you passed the bar before applying (especially if it different state than your school). Am I sending stuff out throughout 3L, as soon as I take the bar, or as soon as I get results back?

Thanks.

2012JayDee

Re: Apply for (non-clerkship) jobs before passing bar as 3L?

Postby 2012JayDee » Wed May 30, 2012 11:45 pm

Yes. You should be applying throughout your entire 3L year.

There are jobs that require you be admitted to a jurisdiction before they can hire you, but not all jobs require admittance.
Realize that if you take the July bar exam you may not get your scores back until November, in some cases. And even then you are not admitted right away. It could be Dec/Jan before you are actually admitted. Obviously, you don't want to wait 6 months after graduation before you begin to apply.

A lot of small firms will hire you in your 2L spring or 3L fall--but they won't go through your school's OCI so you will have to apply to them independently. If you don't get anything at OCI you want to be sure to cast a wide net. At most schools OCI is responsible for only a small percentage of jobs/offers. The rest come from students sending out resumes during the 2L and 3L years.

If you are applying to a job in a state different from where you will be taking the bar you need to know if they require bar passage. There are only a handful of states that will allow you to take 2 bar exams simultaneously. So, if you take the bar in State X but you want to work in State Y and the job in State Y requires admittance you want to know that first. You could potentially be looking at having to take the Feb. bar, which of course means waiting for scores and admittance, and putting you 1 year after graduation before you could take that job in State Y.

bottom line: keep applying until you get an offer

Return to “Legal Employment”