ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: ITT: Summer Associates Post About Their Anxiety (2012)

Post by romothesavior » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:V-5 firm.

Rolling summer acceptances. I had one bad review from a partner, and one (or two) mediocre reviews. I have a bad, bad feeling.
Relax. V5 isn't going to no-offer lightly. DPW doesn't want to lose people to Skadden, or whoever, next year because of their <100% offer rate.
You'd be surprised. My whole final review was about the bad review from the partner. I tried to take responsibility but the review was also a bunch of crap. My 'final review team' seemed to have hope (and are part of the summer committee) but recruiting started to act like it was the end of my time there. If they don't want to ruin their 100% offer rate then perhaps there is a cold offer that awaits me. :(
What made you think your time there was over? Did they say something?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
If every firm did it, then I might agree. If some firms have the ability to give offers before SAs leave (or a couple days after they go), then most / all other firms should be able to do this as well. It just seems like the considerate thing to do, especially with the end of summer butting up against 3L OCI season.
This sounds whiny and entitled to me. So the committee meeting isn't a top priority, so what? Trying to get everyone in the same room is a hassle. Clearly some firms handle it differently, but I wouldn't even agree that prioritizing the hiring committee meeting is a good thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:06 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
If every firm did it, then I might agree. If some firms have the ability to give offers before SAs leave (or a couple days after they go), then most / all other firms should be able to do this as well. It just seems like the considerate thing to do, especially with the end of summer butting up against 3L OCI season.
This sounds whiny and entitled to me. So the committee meeting isn't a top priority, so what? Trying to get everyone in the same room is a hassle. Clearly some firms handle it differently, but I wouldn't even agree that prioritizing the hiring committee meeting is a good thing.
Because it's nice to know that you are offered / cold-offered / no-offered before you go too far into planning for options like 3L OCI; and it gives you peace of mind (or lets you know that you should be resume-bombing the hell out of every viable firm out there). I'm just saying it's considerate on the part of the firms that give offers asap--this is what my firm did. No whining or feelings of entitlement about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:20 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Not OP

I disagree. My theory is, if I worked my ass off for you, you at least should follow the custom of most firms. AFIK, my firm is the only biglaw firm in the my non-NYC major market that does not give offers/no-offers on the last day of the summer program.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Because it's nice to know that you are offered / cold-offered / no-offered before you go too far into planning for options like 3L OCI; and it gives you peace of mind (or lets you know that you should be resume-bombing the hell out of every viable firm out there). I'm just saying it's considerate on the part of the firms that give offers asap--this is what my firm did. No whining or feelings of entitlement about it.
Yes, it's nice to know, but it's not exactly a huge inconvenience for most of us. The majority of schools require you to bid and opt in to OCI well before most summer programs end. The firms that don't give offers on the last day make you wait what, 1 or 2 weeks? If you are going to find yourself in a massmailing situation, that's not a huge difference. I had to wait shy of 2 weeks to hear. My only inconvenience was having to pack my interview shoes instead of storing them at my parent's house.

And frankly, if you are going to get no-offered, I would rather go into interviews being able to honestly say that I hadn't heard yet, rather than an offer was not extended to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:02 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes, it's nice to know, but it's not exactly a huge inconvenience for most of us. The majority of schools require you to bid and opt in to OCI well before most summer programs end. The firms that don't give offers on the last day make you wait what, 1 or 2 weeks? If you are going to find yourself in a massmailing situation, that's not a huge difference. I had to wait shy of 2 weeks to hear. My only inconvenience was having to pack my interview shoes instead of storing them at my parent's house.

And frankly, if you are going to get no-offered, I would rather go into interviews being able to honestly say that I hadn't heard yet, rather than an offer was not extended to me.
Not if your OCI (Cornell) is in NYC. One 4-day trip would cost close to $1000.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:41 am

Supposed to find out some time this week whether or not I have an offer. Wish me luck, bitches.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:56 am

bjsesq wrote:Supposed to find out some time this week whether or not I have an offer. Wish me luck, bitches.
Good luck boo! I'm sending you all my luckyness.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:21 am

This is the last week of my summer clerkship. Nervous as fuck. The partners meet the Monday after I leave. I need to find out if that's when the hiring decision is going to be made.

Sigh.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:25 am

bjsesq wrote:Supposed to find out some time this week whether or not I have an offer. Wish me luck, bitches.
Same. This week.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:34 am

rad lulz wrote:
Same. This week.
Good luck to both of you.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:38 am

rad lulz wrote:
Same. This week.
Good luck guys.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:42 am

I was told that I'd get notified around the 10th one way or the other via a phone call. It's now the 14th. Is it a good idea to email the hiring partner asking about the status or is that overly aspie? Please advise, TLS brethren.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was told that I'd get notified around the 10th one way or the other via a phone call. It's now the 14th. Is it a good idea to email the hiring partner asking about the status or is that overly aspie? Please advise, TLS brethren.
I'd just chill.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was told that I'd get notified around the 10th one way or the other via a phone call. It's now the 14th. Is it a good idea to email the hiring partner asking about the status or is that overly aspie? Please advise, TLS brethren.
even if you were to call anyone, i would call recruiting and not the hiring partner.
but yes. just chill for a bit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:V-5 firm.

Rolling summer acceptances. I had one bad review from a partner, and one (or two) mediocre reviews. I have a bad, bad feeling.
Relax. V5 isn't going to no-offer lightly. DPW doesn't want to lose people to Skadden, or whoever, next year because of their <100% offer rate.
DPW has already made offers to all of the summer class. I'm kind of curious which V5 is doing rolling offers.
Cravath offers are staggered. People get them at some point in their last week at the firm. I'd be very surprised if they no-offered anybody for anything other than brazenly bad social behavior.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:47 pm

Same situation, I am just waiting it out. I'll give it until at least the end of the week before I start considering contacting someone.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:35 pm

This summer flew by. What an eventful one it was. Congrats to all who are done and good luck to the rest who are waiting for their results!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:40 am

Was initially worried that hiring partner telling me that I wouldn't hear back until September was a bad sign of either my chances or the firm's economic health. Today, learned from meeting with career advisor that most firms in this state tend to run on that schedule. Interesting...

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:59 am

Last Day. Don't know what to expect. Nervous as FUARK.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:00 am

TTH wrote:Last Day. Don't know what to expect. Nervous as FUARK.
Good luck, TTH. I hope you get some good news!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:39 am

Invited to a meeting at three with the hiring partner and managing partner to "talk about how the summer went."

No-offers aren't done in person, right?

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:57 am

TTH wrote:Invited to a meeting at three with the hiring partner and managing partner to "talk about how the summer went."

Maybe, maybe not - but I wouldn't imagine they'd have the managing partner there for a no-offer... But what do I know.

Good luck!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:58 am

los blancos wrote:
TTH wrote:Invited to a meeting at three with the hiring partner and managing partner to "talk about how the summer went."

Maybe, maybe not - but I wouldn't imagine they'd have the managing partner there for a no-offer... But what do I know.

Good luck!
Ugh, barf. Some associates are taking me and the 1L clerk out for lunch I wish I could go to lunch alone to get a stiff drink. Oy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:26 pm

Offer came in to return for next summer, and they're cool with splitting. OCI just had a whole load of pressure taken off it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”