list of firms that ask for an undergrad transcript

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

list of firms that ask for an undergrad transcript

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2012 11:33 pm

does anyone have a list of firms that required an undergrad transcript during oci? i know boutique ip firms generally, but i mean more geared towards the v100

johndhi

Re: list of firms that ask for an undergrad transcript

Postby johndhi » Mon May 07, 2012 11:36 pm

Only one that asked me was Cravath. What is a boutique IP firm? I interviewed at a lot of IP firms and none wanted it.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon May 07, 2012 11:47 pm

Did you receive any offers from the IP firms ?

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:49 pm

johndhi wrote:Only one that asked me was Cravath. What is a boutique IP firm? I interviewed at a lot of IP firms and none wanted it.

IP botique = firm that only does IP.

And he is right most want it. Fish, Banner, MBHB, Knobbe, and Brinks + more all asked me.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Mon May 07, 2012 11:57 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Did you receive any offers from the IP firms ?

mad offers bro, I set up a slip-n-slide and slid like fifty yards on my IP firm offers.

I was forgetting about patent prosecution firms like those mentioned. Knobbe and Fish are fucking huge, didn't know they could be considered "boutique." So maybe the lesson is firms involved with patent prosecution tend to ask and patent lit tends not to. That would make sense, since patent prosecutors need to get the tech a little more.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue May 08, 2012 1:10 am

johndhi wrote:

mad offers bro, I set up a slip-n-slide and slid like fifty yards on my IP firm offers.

I was forgetting about patent prosecution firms like those mentioned. Knobbe and Fish are fucking huge, didn't know they could be considered "boutique." So maybe the lesson is firms involved with patent prosecution tend to ask and patent lit tends not to. That would make sense, since patent prosecutors need to get the tech a little more.

If you have a tech degree, even patent lit firms/groups want to see it. I don't know if they care as much about them as prosecution firms but they do ask.

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:14 am

r6_philly wrote:
johndhi wrote:

If you have a tech degree, even patent lit firms/groups want to see it. I don't know if they care as much about them as prosecution firms but they do ask.

Not for 2Ls. Some do, but the vast majority of general practice firms who do little to no prosecution will not ask for a UG transcript. They ask for it for 1L hiring because they don't have your law grades yet.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue May 08, 2012 1:26 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Not for 2Ls. Some do, but the vast majority of general practice firms who do little to no prosecution will not ask for a UG transcript. They ask for it for 1L hiring because they don't have your law grades yet.

Most firms I bid on for PLIP ask for it. Even for the IP lit groups. I don't see why they would not want to see it if they want to hire for tech degrees. Most of us will probably have to take the patent bar for reexamination anyway.

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:35 am

r6_philly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Most firms I bid on for PLIP ask for it. Even for the IP lit groups. I don't see why they would not want to see it if they want to hire for tech degrees. Most of us will probably have to take the patent bar for reexamination anyway.

They are flaming by asking for it. Sure they'll collect it from you if you hand it to them, but they won't ask for it specifically. I made sure to not give mine to any firm who didn't literally make me. Several did (one was basically a patent pros shop at a GP). Most of the rest don't.

But the boutiques almost uniformly do ask.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue May 08, 2012 1:37 am

Seward & Kissel, IIRC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 08, 2012 1:40 pm

IIRC, Ropes (Boston office) asked me for an undergrad transcript, but I also seem to recall being surprised by this and them not asking other people who interviewed for one.

Cravath is the only one for sure I remember asking everyone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 08, 2012 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:IIRC, Ropes (Boston office) asked me for an undergrad transcript, but I also seem to recall being surprised by this and them not asking other people who interviewed for one.

Cravath is the only one for sure I remember asking everyone.

Ropes asked me too but it was for IP.

Having "out of what?!?" follow "what was your gpa?" is not a confident booster.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 08, 2012 8:10 pm

I had a few Ohio firms (regional midlaw) ask for my transcript. This was for 1L jobs mind you.

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a few Ohio firms (regional midlaw) ask for my transcript. This was for 1L jobs mind you.

1L jobs are a totally different story. They almost all ask for it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 08, 2012 8:28 pm

Cravath asked me. Gave my sub-3.0 ass a callback anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 08, 2012 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Cravath asked me. Gave my sub-3.0 ass a callback anyway.

Outted yourself brosphef.

Return to “Legal Employment”