What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

I will be summering at V50. I know the basic do good work, be polite and friendly advices.
Besides things to do during the actual SA program, what could I do to increase my chances of eventually getting an offer? Are there preferred substantive classes to take or extracurricular that would help?
What should I watch out for?

Edit- sorry for grammar. Wrote on my small ass phone.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:51 pm

Is this a poorly conceived joke? My first advice would be to never send an email to anyone at your V50 firm using the quality of grammar you used in your post here.

User avatar
ben4847
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby ben4847 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:53 pm

Depends. Are you a girl?

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby Dany » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:54 pm

I'd also suggest trying to be less lazy or getting better at research, since this has been discussed ad nauseam on TLS.

dooood
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:45 am

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby dooood » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:55 pm

Srsly - check you grammar

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby shoeshine » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:59 pm

Fuck everybody that corrects grammar on the internet.

target
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby target » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:01 pm

shoeshine wrote:Fuck everybody that corrects grammar on the internet.


Said the guy who used correct grammar.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby kwais » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:05 pm

shoeshine wrote:Fuck everybody that corrects grammar on the internet.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby thesealocust » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:05 pm

Do good work, be polite and friendly.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby sunynp » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:21 pm

There are threads on this already but here is the best advice I can give you - never fucking complain about anything. The partners and associates look at you as pretty much taking their time and money for a fun summer. They don't mind as long as you don't take it for granted. But once you complain about anything at all, ever to anyone, you are sunk. If you don't realize how good you have it now as an SA or are just acting entitled, no one wants to deal with you as an associate when things are a lot more pressured.

Also, never be mean to or impatient with any support staff - paralegals or secretary types. Same reasoning.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:24 pm

sunynp wrote:There are threads on this already but here is the best advice I can give you - never fucking complain about anything. The partners and associates look at you as pretty much taking their time and money for a fun summer. They don't mind as long as you don't take it for granted. But once you complain about anything at all, ever to anyone, you are sunk. If you don't realize how good you have it now as an SA or are just acting entitled, no one wants to deal with you as an associate when things are a lot more pressured.

Also, never be mean to or impatient with any support staff - paralegals or secretary types. Same reasoning.


In an abundance of caution, I will also add to this. Do not tell the HR people things you think should be done differently/better in the summer program or its events. They don't see it as constructive criticism.

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby Always Credited » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:36 pm

shoeshine wrote:Fuck everybody that corrects grammar on the internet.


This is what you must do to get an offer this summer. Your time begins now.

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby shoeshine » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:40 pm

Always Credited wrote:
shoeshine wrote:Fuck everybody that corrects grammar on the internet.

This is what you must do to get an offer this summer. Your time begins now.

Lol, no. That would be a lot of ugly, sad, and shameful sex.

OP read this: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=155445

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby Dany » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:45 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
shoeshine wrote:Fuck everybody that who corrects grammar on the internet.

<3

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby Always Credited » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:48 pm

shoeshine wrote:
Always Credited wrote:
shoeshine wrote:Fuck everybody that corrects grammar on the internet.

This is what you must do to get an offer this summer. Your time begins now.

Lol, no. That would be a lot of ugly, sad, and shameful sex.

OP read this: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=155445


Is there some other kind of sex I don't know about?

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby Renzo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:51 am

Nightrunner wrote:
shoeshine wrote:Fuck everybody; that who corrects grammar on the internet.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:51 pm

I would take classes that are relevant in a big firm, Corporations, Securities, Antitrust, Commercial/UCC, Tax I, Banking, Accounting for lawyers, Mergers, Communications law (not Media law) and Administrative law. I would also mix in core classes like Evidence, Criminal Procedure, Decedent's Estates, Remedies, ConLaw II (maybe), International law, Trial practice. It's a good idea to have a couple of classes with "Advanced" or "Complex" in the title because it indicates you didn't take all easy intro classes. Avoid policy classes or Law & X classes as they indicate you're really not interested in hanging around. Avoid classes that clearly indicate a desire to do something unrelated, like Immigration law if you want Corporate or Sports law if you are going to a Finance practice. Also, try to get clinic or practicums that relate to something the firm does (like industry regulation practicums or consumer finance/small business clinics).

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby Doritos » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:24 pm

I hope there's an E&E for associate work because I don't remember anything about anything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:43 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:I would take classes that are relevant in a big firm, Corporations, Securities, Antitrust, Commercial/UCC, Tax I, Banking, Accounting for lawyers, Mergers, Communications law (not Media law) and Administrative law. I would also mix in core classes like Evidence, Criminal Procedure, Decedent's Estates, Remedies, ConLaw II (maybe), International law, Trial practice. It's a good idea to have a couple of classes with "Advanced" or "Complex" in the title because it indicates you didn't take all easy intro classes. Avoid policy classes or Law & X classes as they indicate you're really not interested in hanging around. Avoid classes that clearly indicate a desire to do something unrelated, like Immigration law if you want Corporate or Sports law if you are going to a Finance practice. Also, try to get clinic or practicums that relate to something the firm does (like industry regulation practicums or consumer finance/small business clinics).

thats what i did for my fall and spring semesters, and now the only thing i am beginning to worry about in regards to an offer is my declining GPA.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby thesealocust » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:05 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:I would take classes that are relevant in a big firm, Corporations, Securities, Antitrust, Commercial/UCC, Tax I, Banking, Accounting for lawyers, Mergers, Communications law (not Media law) and Administrative law. I would also mix in core classes like Evidence, Criminal Procedure, Decedent's Estates, Remedies, ConLaw II (maybe), International law, Trial practice. It's a good idea to have a couple of classes with "Advanced" or "Complex" in the title because it indicates you didn't take all easy intro classes. Avoid policy classes or Law & X classes as they indicate you're really not interested in hanging around. Avoid classes that clearly indicate a desire to do something unrelated, like Immigration law if you want Corporate or Sports law if you are going to a Finance practice. Also, try to get clinic or practicums that relate to something the firm does (like industry regulation practicums or consumer finance/small business clinics).


This advice is awful. There's a very high chance the decision to make you an offer or not will be made without even looking at your transcript, much less giving a shit about the title of the courses you took.

Pro-tip: law school is a joke and everybody knows it. Even classes directly related to practice areas you go into are likely to cover about as much ground in a semester as you will in a day on the job.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19653
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby dailygrind » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:17 pm

I'm just taking classes I'm interested in and/or classes that won't be hard.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby Doritos » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:27 pm

dailygrind wrote:I'm just taking classes I'm interested in and/or classes that won't be hard.


Seminars until I graduate.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby thesealocust » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:39 pm

Doritos wrote:
dailygrind wrote:I'm just taking classes I'm interested in and/or classes that won't be hard.


Seminars until I graduate.


Make sure they're homework seminars and not paper seminars!

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: What can I do to make sure to get offer this summer?

Postby Renzo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:42 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Doritos wrote:
dailygrind wrote:I'm just taking classes I'm interested in and/or classes that won't be hard.


Seminars until I graduate.


Make sure they're homework seminars and not paper seminars!


Amen. Fuck writing long papers. And, now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to writing this POS paper that's due Friday.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.