Does this experience help AT ALL? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Does this experience help AT ALL?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:46 pm

As an undergrad, I worked part-time at a biglaw firm in NYC. I did nothing but organize files, but I did have a lot of contact with associates and partners alike and got to know several fairly well.

I now am a 1L at a T2. Is it stupid of me to believe that this experience could help me land an interview this fall where I definitely wouldn't without this experience? I really liked the culture of the firm and would LOVE to work there.

Any ideas on how to utilize these contacts and how to highlight the fact that I know the firm well, know the culture, know the expectations etc etc etc. Or is that last part useless?

Thanks

LawIdiot86

Silver

Re: Does this experience help AT ALL?

Post by LawIdiot86 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As an undergrad, I worked part-time at a biglaw firm in NYC. I did nothing but organize files, but I did have a lot of contact with associates and partners alike and got to know several fairly well.

I now am a 1L at a T2. Is it stupid of me to believe that this experience could help me land an interview this fall where I definitely wouldn't without this experience? I really liked the culture of the firm and would LOVE to work there.

Any ideas on how to utilize these contacts and how to highlight the fact that I know the firm well, know the culture, know the expectations etc etc etc. Or is that last part useless?

Thanks
It helps, but isn't a slam dunk. I knew a guy from a T1 who did this at a mid-ranked Vault firm, but knocked it out of the part his 1L, so the connection just let him avoid having to rank that firm on his OCI bid. Another friend worked at a high-ranked Vault firm and ended up in the bottom quarter of a T14 couldn't get any interview with their old firm, period. If you did well at your T2 (within double the percentile that got Biglaw), then it might help. Also, those contacts might be willing to refer you to their friends at smaller firms that take more people from your T2.

patentlaworbust

New

Post by patentlaworbust » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:53 pm

It's better than nothing. If the partners whom you had a relationship with are well-respected at the firm, then having their endorsement may get your resume an extra glance by HR or the hiring committee. A member of my in-law's family is best friends with a hiring parter at a Biglaw firm, and this connection got me an in-person interview right away. This is the exception to the normal rule, but it goes to show that connections (in whatever form) can be extremely useful.

The process normally works by sending your resume/cover-letter to your contacts directly, and then they will forward it on to the appropriate parties. Nevertheless, your merits will still need to speak for themselves (to varying degrees of significance) to make it past the screening process to get an interview.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:15 pm

What about playing up the angle that I know the firm's culture and what it is like to work there more than any outside candidate and that I know I'd fit in greatly as a result?

Is that relevant? Or no?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”