t10, t15%-> dct (big mkt) -> coa (big mkt)-> (?) -> AUSA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

t10, t15%-> dct (big mkt) -> coa (big mkt)-> (?) -> AUSA

Poll ended at Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:03 pm

? = biglaw
86%
? = ADA
14%
? = Other
No votes

Total votes: 7

Anonymous User

t10, t15%-> dct (big mkt) -> coa (big mkt)-> (?) -> AUSA

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:28 pm

fill in the ? and please comment on your choice (eg. duration, market, etc.). I've landed d.ct. and coa. Pondering future.

Is ADA possible/realistic without having worked in some crim area as a law student? I've done jackshit. No clinics. No externships. Civil lit all the way (biglaw summer). I'd rather not do biglaw for another day. No debts (lucky).

Anonymous User

Re: t10, t15%-> dct (big mkt) -> coa (big mkt)-> (?) -> AUSA

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:40 pm

Depends on the biglaw firm and the USAO. Meet with some AUSAs (present or former) and see what they say.
In my local USAO, there are a few law firms that feed pretty regularly into the USAO, and a few that almost never do. That would obviously make a difference. In other USAO's ADA's are strongly preferred to biglaw refugees.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:47 pm

If the "big market" is NY or LA, ADA is a definite option if you can take the pay hit. Those offices are very competitive, and they tend to like well-pedigreed attorneys. If it is Chicago, it's less so -- they tend to be more parochial and less awed by federal clerkships and top law school credentials. I don't know enough to speak intelligently about SF or Boston or Texas.

One thing to consider is maybe a state SG office. A lot of them have very fun and high-profile practices, with very competitive hiring. The pay isn't great, and most of the ASG/DSG positions are political (so you'd be out when the AG switches parties), but given your ultimate goal, that doesn't seem so bad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If the "big market" is NY or LA, ADA is a definite option if you can take the pay hit.
what pay hit? i'll make 60k as a clerk during my first clerkship, maybe slightly more during my second clerkship because I will go up JSP.

I don't think ADA makes significantly less than 50k. Maybe 40k at worst in a big market. Any pay differential between these jobs is minimal.

AUSA, otoh, pays 80k+, some places even 100k+

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Is ADA possible/realistic without having worked in some crim area as a law student? I've done jackshit. No clinics. No externships. Civil lit all the way (biglaw summer). I'd rather not do biglaw for another day. No debts (lucky).
You're going to get hammered on this. DA's want to see a steady interest in criminal work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:37 pm

what pay hit? i'll make 60k as a clerk during my first clerkship, maybe slightly more during my second clerkship because I will go up JSP.

I don't think ADA makes significantly less than 50k. Maybe 40k at worst in a big market. Any pay differential between these jobs is minimal.

Pay hit relative to biglaw. But yes, you'll probably make in the $70+ range as a JSP 12 in a big market (assuming that means NY, Chicago, LA, SF or Boston -- maybe less if it's in Texas). Though check the published salary ranges on the federal courts website. What you will make as an ADA will vary substantially based on the specific office.
You're going to get hammered on this. DA's want to see a steady interest in criminal work.
This isn't necessarily true for some of the elite DA offices (Manhattan, mainly).

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:06 pm

That could be, I have no idea about the Manhattan DA. I know that here in Dallas (and I would assume other major cities), you won't even get an interview if you don't have a strong criminal background.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Pay hit relative to biglaw. But yes, you'll probably make in the $70+ range as a JSP 12 in a big market (assuming that means NY, Chicago, LA, SF or Boston -- maybe less if it's in Texas). Though check the published salary ranges on the federal courts website. What you will make as an ADA will vary substantially based on the specific office.
This isn't necessarily true for some of the elite DA offices (Manhattan, mainly).
Manhattan is the only one with that mindset. All of the others will hammer you, like he said, for having a resume that doesn't scream prosecution.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:26 pm

For LA, I've been told that the higher the clerkship, the better the chances of landing an AUSA spot. Since you have both, I'd imagine you are at a significant advantage. The next tier is a few years of biglaw experience. I'd imagine having fed. clerkships + biglaw is the most guaranteed route. Third tier is ~5 years of ADA experience. Person I spoke to said about 20% of their AUSAs were former DAs who lateraled to AUSA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”