MMJ for biglaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

MMJ for biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:52 am

Obviously not something that would come up in an interview or resume, but am just curious as to whether anyone has any input/ experience with Medical Marijauana in the biglaw world. I know it is a dealbreaker for Fed jobs, since fed employees follow fed rules, but what about, say, Biglaw in Cali or DC or wherever else it is legalized. Would it be frowned upon if an associate utilized MMJ, as legally prescribed to him/her by doc, in a setting that brought no discredit upon the firm nor hindered his ability to bill quality hours.

rad lulz

Re: MMJ for biglaw

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:59 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:08 am

not necessarily during work, as in I start the day off with a bong hit from the bong on my desk. I just meant stepping outside during a normal smoke break to after a long day before heading back in, and leveling out a bit.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:25 am

Are you serious? And what about the smell?

while your at home....whatevs..

But at the jerb??? I don't think your co-workers will like you too much.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:30 am

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:53 am

J-e-L-L-o wrote:I don't think your co-workers will like you too much.

Really?

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:not necessarily during work, as in I start the day off with a bong hit from the bong on my desk. I just meant stepping outside during a normal smoke break to after a long day before heading back in, and leveling out a bit.

lol "leveling out a bit" come on dude you need it for a "medical" reason remember

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:29 pm

seatown12 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:not necessarily during work, as in I start the day off with a bong hit from the bong on my desk. I just meant stepping outside during a normal smoke break to after a long day before heading back in, and leveling out a bit.

lol "leveling out a bit" come on dude you need it for a "medical" reason remember

He's leveling out his glaucoma.

BEAST_mode

Postby BEAST_mode » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:37 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:I don't think your co-workers will like you too much.

That's precious.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Obviously not something that would come up in an interview or resume, but am just curious as to whether anyone has any input/ experience with Medical Marijauana in the biglaw world. I know it is a dealbreaker for Fed jobs, since fed employees follow fed rules, but what about, say, Biglaw in Cali or DC or wherever else it is legalized. Would it be frowned upon if an associate utilized MMJ, as legally prescribed to him/her by doc, in a setting that brought no discredit upon the firm nor hindered his ability to bill quality hours.

I would love for you to describe such a situation, wherin having drugged lawyers working on complex multimillion dollar matters would bring no discredit upon the firm.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:45 pm

srfngdd6

Postby srfngdd6 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:51 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Obviously not something that would come up in an interview or resume, but am just curious as to whether anyone has any input/ experience with Medical Marijauana in the biglaw world. I know it is a dealbreaker for Fed jobs, since fed employees follow fed rules, but what about, say, Biglaw in Cali or DC or wherever else it is legalized. Would it be frowned upon if an associate utilized MMJ, as legally prescribed to him/her by doc, in a setting that brought no discredit upon the firm nor hindered his ability to bill quality hours.

I would love for you to describe such a situation, wherin having drugged lawyers working on complex multimillion dollar matters would bring no discredit upon the firm.

Ever heard of "study high, take the test high, get high scores?"

Stealing Harvard

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:53 pm

How is need for MMJ to "level[] out a bit" at work any different from an alcoholic who needs to drink to be sociable or someone abusing prescription drugs to focus better on an 18 hour project? I firmly think its wrong and any firm would instantly fire you, but, beyond that, if you need to use it that regularly to function normally, have you considered the possibility of addiction?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:55 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:

How is need for MMJ to "level[] out a bit" at work any different from an alcoholic who needs to drink to be sociable or someone abusing prescription drugs to focus better on an 18 hour project? I firmly think its wrong and any firm would instantly fire you, but, beyond that, if you need to use it that regularly to function normally, have you considered the possibility of addiction?

So I guess people on blood pressure meds should stop taking those, too.

jk2011

Postby jk2011 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:03 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:

Blood pressure meds aren't mood or mind altering substances that have the potential for abuse or addiction. This is just a terrible comparison.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:

Yes, people self-prescribing blood pressure meds or using prescribed blood pressure meds to permit them to do things a doctor would normally advise against (like taking them to counter the effects of morbid obesity), need to stop taking them and address the problem that is leading them to abuse the medication. If OP actually has a problem with stress or stability, he should go to a shrink and get other meds that will "level" him out, not use MMJ to counter the effect of taking a high-stress job, when the MMJ is likely to have other effects on this job performance (like a negative perception by clients who find out).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:02 pm

I doubt big law, but maybe a few smaller firms. I've heard stories about hedge funds being mmj friendly in the west, but it's not like you'll even find out before you get an offer.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:59 pm

Isn't big law a detail oriented profession? I've heard of people taking a smoke and becoming creative or inspired, but I've never heard of anyone toking up and becoming detail oriented.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:02 pm

Firms don't drug test, so just don't smell like weed and nobody will be the wiser.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would it be frowned upon if an associate utilized MMJ, as legally prescribed to him/her by doc, in a setting that brought no discredit upon the firm nor hindered his ability to bill quality hours.

If you really have a condition that truly requires MMJ during work hours, then TCR is edibles. But if you have 'anxiety,' I'd strongly recommend waiting until you get home.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm

You should definitely bring this up in interviews though. Just to clarify the firm's stance.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:52 pm

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:58 pm

OP, if you are from California you should probably just ask some attorney's there and see what the overall feel is among them. My guess would be that it is frowned upon but I could be wrong.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:26 pm

rad lulz wrote:My bro has horrific glaucoma. He works in biglaw. He smokes in his office, orders a pizza, and throws on some South Park, and chills out for a few hrs. No big. The firm is totes cool.

Your bro's firm confirmed for compassionate as fuck.

Return to “Legal Employment”