Clerking for a judge who is on the JPML

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
johndhi

Clerking for a judge who is on the JPML

Postby johndhi » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience, or know anything about, clerking for a judge who is an active member of the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation? This website tells me who the current judges are: --LinkRemoved--

is there some way to determine who the future judges will be? how long do they stay on the panel? How much of a judge's time/work is taken up by their JPML obligations? Any other thoughts - will they tend to be selective judges, or will being on the JPML make them more selective?

Thanks!

Reprisal

Re: Clerking for a judge who is on the JPML

Postby Reprisal » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:19 pm

I am envious of you for this. You should hope all of the judge's time is spent on MDL selection because you'll get familiar with all the firms and big cases in the country, and then prob have a decent shot of joining the Class Action Krew.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:59 pm

Reprisal wrote:I am envious of you for this. You should hope all of the judge's time is spent on MDL selection because you'll get familiar with all the firms and big cases in the country, and then prob have a decent shot of joining the Class Action Krew.

That's the idea! Nothing to speak of yet, though, I'm just a law student. I wonder whether it would be harder to parlay it into a COA clerkship than another USDC clerkship, though.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:52 pm

for anyone else interested in this topic, I've spoken with some former JPML clerks recently and they've told me the prep work for the MDL hearings tends to be done by the judges' staff attorneys and isn't a particularly unique part of these clerks' experience.

Return to “Legal Employment”