Taking One or Two Days Off During SA? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
vexion

Bronze

Taking One or Two Days Off During SA?

Post by vexion » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:04 pm

I have an SA at a V50 firm. One of my best friends' weddings is June 15th (a Friday, wtf), and I would have to fly out of state to attend. I really want to be there, but I don't know about taking the time off. I would probably only have to take Friday off; I can catch a flight at 9:30 at night and get in that Thursday night just fine.

Is this kosher? I'm not too worried about the time off killing my offer, because the firm has given 100% offer rates a few years running. What do you all think? What's the possible downside?

Guchster

Silver

Re: Taking One or Two Days Off During SA?

Post by Guchster » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:12 pm

vexion wrote:I have an SA at a V50 firm. One of my best friends' weddings is June 15th (a Friday, wtf), and I would have to fly out of state to attend. I really want to be there, but I don't know about taking the time off. I would probably only have to take Friday off; I can catch a flight at 9:30 at night and get in that Thursday night just fine.

Is this kosher? (ed. note: wtf?) I'm not too worried about the time off killing my offer, because the firm has given 100% offer rates a few years running. What do you all think? What's the possible downside?
lol. search forum.

consensus is depends, but you're probably okay---it's between you and your firm. the essential thing to do is to communicate as much as possible with your supervisor and the attorneys your working with. Provide constant reminders so you're not staffed on a deal/case that will not allow you to take time off without pissing off partners/associates and then a few days before remind them of your absence.

First, reach out to your recruitment person and ask if this is possible to double check in advance before you make any final decisions. it would be super dick to just tell them you're leaving instead of asking if it is possible in the first place. They will usually handle stuff internally from there.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Tell them sooner rather than later. Like, today.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:02 pm

Dude it's your best friend's wedding. Give the firm plenty of notice and be professional about it, but have some priorities. Would you honestly want to work for an organization that wouldn't give you a day off for your best friend's wedding?

Plus which, don't delude yourself into thinking that any sane firm would give summers crucial, time-sensitive work. You're going to be getting busy-work and scraps. That doesn't mean you shouldn't take it seriously, of course, because you're going to be getting evaluated on how well you handle the busy work and scraps, but have some perspective.

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:17 pm

I think if you mention up early on it'd be cool. When you're in the biz of hiring 23-30 yr olds weddings are prob common, and I'm sure you're not the first.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

handsonthewheel

Bronze

Post by handsonthewheel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:58 pm

Get your friend to reschedule the wedding or cut them out of your life for good. Shows commitment.

Also, your friend is a cheapskate for getting married on a Friday. That's almost as bad as a Sunday.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:39 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:41 pm

handsonthewheel wrote:Get your friend to reschedule the wedding or cut them out of your life for good. Shows commitment.

Also, your friend is a cheapskate for getting married on a Friday. That's almost as bad as a Sunday.
This.

so let me get this straight, you want to be friends with someone who is going to put a party before your short and long-term career prospects. sounds like an asshole to me .

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:54 pm

rad lulz wrote:
SBL wrote: Would you honestly want to work for an organization that wouldn't give you a day off for your best friend's wedding?
Yup.
Billables over BROs, breh!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:03 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:12 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
SBL wrote: Would you honestly want to work for an organization that wouldn't give you a day off for your best friend's wedding?
Yup.
Billables over BROs, breh!
I'd make it up to my bro by popping some bottles in da club
True. And maybe throw a few strippers into the mix. Cap the night off with a healthy chew.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:24 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:40 pm

I think tcr is to post a pic of the bride. If you sleep with her, you can both get laid and potentially have the wedding canceled so you won't miss work. Win-win.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

handsonthewheel

Bronze

Post by handsonthewheel » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:20 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:I think tcr is to post a pic of the bride. If you sleep with her, you can both get laid and potentially have the wedding canceled so you won't miss work. Win-win.
. . .

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:30 pm

Call the recruiting/summer coordinator person and tell them. I had to take a Friday off during my SA and I got the impression that as long as it is for a good reason they were cool with it. Best friend's wedding probably fits the bill. Definitely fits the bill if you are in the wedding party. Just let them know sooner rather than later so they can plan around it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:37 pm

When it comes to an SA, firms can be understanding about close family funerals, hospital emergencies, severe weather, but a friend’s wedding. . . good luck with that.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:31 pm

Completely anecdotal but I'm working at a mid-size firm and I just emailed the person coordinating the summer program telling her about a wedding I had that would cause me to need two days. i offered to make up the days and even take work with me. She was extremely understanding and told me unequivocally that it was fine and that I would not be brinijng work with me.

Granted, it's mid-law not big law. Also, my summer program starts almost right after finals and goes part time next year. So two days in the scheme of things is much smaller than two days in an eight week program. That being said, I think it should be fine if you let them know asap.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When it comes to an SA, firms can be understanding about close family funerals, hospital emergencies, severe weather, but a friend’s wedding. . . good luck with that.
You don't know what you're talking about.

Missing a day or two for weddings throughout the summer is common. This is part of life when you're in your 20s.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When it comes to an SA, firms can be understanding about close family funerals, hospital emergencies, severe weather...
Or not. My friend at a big firm last summer wasn't given off to go to the hospital for tonsillitis. They told her to find a doc who would see and treat her before she had to be at work in the morning. Also, as far as severe weather goes... http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... e_blizzard

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:46 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When it comes to an SA, firms can be understanding about close family funerals, hospital emergencies, severe weather...
Or not. My friend at a big firm last summer wasn't given off to go to the hospital for tonsillitis. They told her to find a doc who would see and treat her before she had to be at work in the morning.
LOL

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:18 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:I think tcr is to post a pic of the bride. If you sleep with her, you can both get laid and potentially have the wedding canceled so you won't miss work. Win-win.
Sleeping with your best friends wife is the height of TTT. It's less prestigious than NOWAG.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:30 pm

If you're going to be up at night worrying that this will reduce your chances of an offer from 99% to 95%,* then sure, skip your friend's wedding.

Otherwise, accept the minor risk that some jerk will find this a sign that your Commitment To The Firm is inadequate, tell them ASAP that you need the day off, and go.

Also, consider the following scenario: you don't ask for the day off. You show up at the office that Friday. While your friend is celebrating one of the biggest moments of his life, you sit at your desk writing a memo that isn't due til next week and that nobody will read. How do you think that will feel?

*If this describes you, may I recommend finding a way to chill out before your career destroys you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:24 pm

on a similar note, is it safe to make travel arrangements for memorial day weekend or would a firm expect you to be on call during weekends and holidays?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”