Clerkship Chances Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerkship Chances

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:35 pm

What are someone's chances for a federal clerkship without a journal? I have a 4.0 as a transfer student at a T20. What could I do to put myself in a better position to go this route?

Citizen Genet

Silver

Re: Clerkship Chances

Post by Citizen Genet » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:08 pm

Hmm. My reading comp could be slow right now, but when you say, "I have a 4.0 as a transfer student at a T20," I interpret that as meaning one of a few things.

a. You transferred to a T20 from a lower-ranked school and you had a 4.0 at your previous school.
b. You transferred to a T20 from a lower-ranked school and you have a 4.0 at your current school.
c. You transferred to a higher ranked school from a T20 and you had a 4.0 at your previous school.
d. You transferred to a higher ranked school from a T20 and you have a 4.0 at your current school.

My best reading of it is that you are in situation B. I will also assume that you're at Vandy, GW, WUSTL or UM. If that's the case, that's a very solid position to be in. No journal will hurt, especially since you're not at a national school. If you're at Vandy or GW, you should have some really excellent clerkship resources available to you who will be able to give you a better idea of how transfer students do. I'll leave estimating your chances to a seasoned pro like GTL or accidentalclerk.

As for what you can do to give yourself a leg up from here on out, consider working to publish something somewhere. Without the constraints of a journal on you, you should have some extra time to devote to putting out a full article. Some LRs let 3Ls on by publishing with the journal - you might consider that route.

Locking down good recommenders at your new school will also be critical. Considering approaching a professor about becoming an RA. If you're not doing any extra-currics at your new school, you should have some extra time to devote to any of these endeavors.

theaccidentalclerk

Bronze

Post by theaccidentalclerk » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:13 pm

I'll leave estimating your chances to a seasoned pro like GTL or accidentalclerk.
(Quickly disclaiming that description.)

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:19 pm

theaccidentalclerk wrote:
I'll leave estimating your chances to a seasoned pro like GTL or accidentalclerk.
(Quickly disclaiming that description.)

I was under the impression you were a clerk right now, but a quick glance at your posts makes me think I have you confused with someone else.

I demand you out yourself right now and settle my confusion.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:22 pm

B is the correct interpretation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:23 pm

If you are otherwise qualified, will it matter if you have a B+ in Fed Courts?

theaccidentalclerk

Bronze

Post by theaccidentalclerk » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:23 pm

Not now, will be in the fall.

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:36 am

I think your chances at COA w/o a journal are dim. I also think some district judge will hire you. As to the other question in this thread (your other question?) I got a COA and plenty of interviews with a fed courts B+, so it's not a disqualifier.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”