Reciept Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reciept Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:10 pm

I have a few questions regarding etiquette when applying for a 1L summer internship.

1. If you are applying by e-mail, is it appropriate to send a read receipt request with the email. So far, I have not done so, however, as i begin to apply to more firms, i do want to see if my materials were received and read. In the alternative, i use the standard two week response, before sending a follow-up email. Which is preferable?

1a. Also, some firms and government agencies require the submission of materials by U.S. Mail. Is it better to just use first-class and call in to ensure receipt, or use certified mail.

2.A few positions request a transcript with all materials when applying. My school does not release grades until mid-jan, and they release all grades at once. If i were to send an application to one of these employers, and their deadline is before my grades come out, should i just submit the application and hope that they do not reject it for a lack of a transcript.

3. I am considering to apply to about 30 different positions. Is that excessive, par for the course, or, in this market, laughably low?

Thanks!

So far, I have received two, we do not know whether we will have a program this summer replies.

NoleinNY

Silver

Re: Reciept Questions

Post by NoleinNY » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a few questions regarding etiquette when applying for a 1L summer internship.

1. If you are applying by e-mail, is it appropriate to send a read receipt request with the email. So far, I have not done so, however, as i begin to apply to more firms, i do want to see if my materials were received and read. In the alternative, i use the standard two week response, before sending a follow-up email. Which is preferable?

1a. Also, some firms and government agencies require the submission of materials by U.S. Mail. Is it better to just use first-class and call in to ensure receipt, or use certified mail.

2.A few positions request a transcript with all materials when applying. My school does not release grades until mid-jan, and they release all grades at once. If i were to send an application to one of these employers, and their deadline is before my grades come out, should i just submit the application and hope that they do not reject it for a lack of a transcript.

3. I am considering to apply to about 30 different positions. Is that excessive, par for the course, or, in this market, laughably low?

Thanks!

So far, I have received two, we do not know whether we will have a program this summer replies.
1. I don't think it's that a big deal. I'd personally just do the standard email/follow-up method. But idk.

1a. I've done both cert, first class, and priority; haven't noticed a big difference in responses.

2. Tough call... Maybe call them and ask what you should do?

3. Depending on where you are applying, it's either par (mid market) or slightly below. Laughably low would be single digits, imo.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”