Shady to ask for money now? pls read the details inside Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jujujohn

New

Shady to ask for money now? pls read the details inside

Post by jujujohn » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:53 am

doing an internship at a firm this coming spring semester, told them they can't pay me (ABA rule), but learned recently I can receive assistance (financially) on housing and travel (relocation) expenses, is it shady to ask for such money now? (2 months after I told them I will be working for free)?

thx and pls easy on the flame.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Re: Shady to ask for money now? pls read the details inside

Post by lawschoolftw » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:32 pm

jujujohn wrote:doing an internship at a firm this coming spring semester, told them they can't pay me (ABA rule), but learned recently I can receive assistance (financially) on housing and travel (relocation) expenses, is it shady to ask for such money now? (2 months after I told them I will be working for free)?

What ABA rule says you can't get paid?

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:36 pm

jujujohn wrote:doing an internship at a firm this coming spring semester, told them they can't pay me (ABA rule), but learned recently I can receive assistance (financially) on housing and travel (relocation) expenses, is it shady to ask for such money now? (2 months after I told them I will be working for free)?

I'm guessing you lied to them and said you couldn't be paid under an ABA rule in order to convince them to give you a job? You're in a bad place if you did lie to them and you're going to have to suck it up unless you can phrase it as "I learned the ABA rule that I thought applied, actually doesn't".

jujujohn

New

Post by jujujohn » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:00 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:

I'm guessing you lied to them and said you couldn't be paid under an ABA rule in order to convince them to give you a job? You're in a bad place if you did lie to them and you're going to have to suck it up unless you can phrase it as "I learned the ABA rule that I thought applied, actually doesn't".

in all honesty, i didn't lie, I found out about it afterwards and only b/c another firm asked if I can get reimbursed on rent/food etc. and there's a distinction, although a fine one it may be, between getting paid for a job(like a salary), and getting help in paying out of pocket expenses such as rent and travel expenses.

and I suspected ppl will get a bad taste from this (strange) fact pattern and what you said confirms this, so thanks!

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:02 pm

what is this

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:13 pm

jujujohn wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:

in all honesty, i didn't lie, I found out about it afterwards and only b/c another firm asked if I can get reimbursed on rent/food etc. and there's a distinction, although a fine one it may be, between getting paid for a job(like a salary), and getting help in paying out of pocket expenses such as rent and travel expenses.

and I suspected ppl will get a bad taste from this (strange) fact pattern and what you said confirms this, so thanks!
If you found out afterwards, tell them that. Also, out of pocket expenses are not usually the rent incurred in a term internship. Is this a British training contract situation?

jujujohn

New

Post by jujujohn » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:22 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
jujujohn wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:

If you found out afterwards, tell them that. Also, out of pocket expenses are not usually the rent incurred in a term internship. Is this a British training contract situation?
yes. but still shady no? it's not insignificant amount of money (to me), but i didn't want it to jeopardize the internship opportunity.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:37 pm

jujujohn wrote: yes. but still shady no? it's not insignificant amount of money (to me), but i didn't want it to jeopardize the internship opportunity.
Well, yes, it's shady because you told them one thing and now are asking for something that contradicts it. Depending on how firmly you attested to the non-existent ABA regulation, they may have trouble believing you discovered you were wrong earlier. If it would jeopardize the internship depends on how fervently you lied, how competitive they are and how much money is involved.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:52 am

Unless you are prepared to renege on the whole arrangement, I wouldn't do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:43 pm

Why did you think you couldn't get paid for summer work? I know plenty of people with paid summer and semester jobs.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why did you think you couldn't get paid for summer work? I know plenty of people with paid summer and semester jobs.
He's saying this is for a traineeship though in the UK. The summers are usually poorly paid, ~$300 a week, and I don't know what the semester is like. I assume OP thought he could make himself look better by looking self-sufficient and now wishes he hadn't.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”