Job Prospects State by State Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mmribail

New

Re: Job Prospects State by State

Post by mmribail » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:24 am

So is it worse then the numbers indicate or better?

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:40 am

IMHO: The part of the survey that is reliable (from the data I have seen in the past) is that there are roughly 45,000-50,000 attorneys trying to land one of the 25,000 annual openings. As far as the state breakout, some of their findings might be ballpark-right, some not.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:49 pm

sunynp wrote:Wasn't this study the one that said their weren't many lawyers in dc because few people take the bar there? But almost everyone in dc takes their local bar, so that stat is worthless. If you think there are too few lawyers on dc, I guess go ahead and believe the study.

Also I don't know where they get their numbers for jobs available, I think that there about 5000 jobs in NYC alone but they have about 2000 for the whole state.
+1. How many biglawl SAs are there? 1-2k or something? I can't remember what thesealocust said, but there was a thread about it.

The study is absolute shit.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:00 pm

mmribail wrote:So is it worse then the numbers indicate or better?
Worse or better in what way?

sebastian0622

Bronze

Post by sebastian0622 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:36 pm

The study doesn't show what it purports to show, but it's at least somewhat useful to see the number of people taking/passing the bar compared to the number of jobs available.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:44 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:The study doesn't show what it purports to show, but it's at least somewhat useful to see the number of people taking/passing the bar compared to the number of jobs available.
Except it doesn't really do either of these effectively. It shows the number of people taking/passing the bar, but that number is meaningless in a handful of places (such as Wisconsin and D.C.) for the purpose of understanding how many job-seekers there are. It also doesn't seem to be accurate re: the number of jobs available. I really have no idea how they came up with that number for NY.

sebastian0622

Bronze

Post by sebastian0622 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:48 pm

romothesavior wrote:
sebastian0622 wrote:The study doesn't show what it purports to show, but it's at least somewhat useful to see the number of people taking/passing the bar compared to the number of jobs available.
Except it doesn't really do either of these effectively. It shows the number of people taking/passing the bar, but that number is meaningless in a handful of places (such as Wisconsin and D.C.) for the purpose of understanding how many job-seekers there are. It also doesn't seem to be accurate re: the number of jobs available. I really have no idea how they came up with that number for NY.
It might not be helpful for certain areas, but for other areas (and at the aggregate), it gives some information.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:15 pm

It doesn't matter how many jobs there are available or how many people are competing for those jobs when you are looking for a job that determines if you end up employer. It only matters how people view you (charisma/school reputation), how well you match the criteria of the job posting (GPA/skills), and how broad/low you are willing to go to accept work. Once you start setting criteria like "a litigation job" or "a NY job" or "a biglaw job," you are the one limiting your own chances of success. I know this after going to law school to do corporate biglaw work in NY/DC and failing at that, but discovering there are literally hundreds of jobs out there that will pay my rent, loans, and groceries while not making me hate myself. I just got off the phone with a screener for a non-legal professional services job paying 40-60k that requires extensive travel to ultra-hazardous areas. It's not a sweet firm job in DC, but it isn't despair either.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:48 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:It doesn't matter how many jobs there are available or how many people are competing for those jobs when you are looking for a job that determines if you end up employer. It only matters how people view you (charisma/school reputation), how well you match the criteria of the job posting (GPA/skills), and how broad/low you are willing to go to accept work. Once you start setting criteria like "a litigation job" or "a NY job" or "a biglaw job," you are the one limiting your own chances of success. I know this after going to law school to do corporate biglaw work in NY/DC and failing at that, but discovering there are literally hundreds of jobs out there that will pay my rent, loans, and groceries while not making me hate myself. I just got off the phone with a screener for a non-legal professional services job paying 40-60k that requires extensive travel to ultra-hazardous areas. It's not a sweet firm job in DC, but it isn't despair either.
That makes no sense.... Everything is determined by the market and competition on the market. Why do you think it is so easy to get a job as a doctor even from a t4 medical school? There is a shortage of doctors. Not so for lawyers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:54 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:It doesn't matter how many jobs there are available or how many people are competing for those jobs when you are looking for a job that determines if you end up employer. It only matters how people view you (charisma/school reputation), how well you match the criteria of the job posting (GPA/skills), and how broad/low you are willing to go to accept work. Once you start setting criteria like "a litigation job" or "a NY job" or "a biglaw job," you are the one limiting your own chances of success. I know this after going to law school to do corporate biglaw work in NY/DC and failing at that, but discovering there are literally hundreds of jobs out there that will pay my rent, loans, and groceries while not making me hate myself. I just got off the phone with a screener for a non-legal professional services job paying 40-60k that requires extensive travel to ultra-hazardous areas. It's not a sweet firm job in DC, but it isn't despair either.
Nice, living up to your username.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
That makes no sense.... Everything is determined by the market and competition on the market. Why do you think it is so easy to get a job as a doctor even from a t4 medical school? There is a shortage of doctors. Not so for lawyers.
I agree doctors from T4s are getting jobs at a higher rate than lawyers from T4s, but they are still having to trade down to a market that will hire them, even if it is still in medicine. So instead of being a doctor at a teaching hospital in NYC, they might have to go to a regional hospital upstate or take a different specialty in NYC. And if all doctors jobs were as full as lawyer jobs are, they might have to take a job in another field, like teaching science. The number of law graduates I know both in person and on TLS who would rather remain unemployed than take a job as a paralegal or accounting clerk and turn down interviews if they are outside of certain markets or fields of law are the people I am criticizing. I remember a person from the year ahead of me on journal turning down a DOJ honors spot because it was in the wrong city and then spending the rest of their 3L year complaining how impossible the job market was in the city they had selected.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:21 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:The number of law graduates I know both in person and on TLS who would rather remain unemployed than take a job as a paralegal or accounting clerk and turn down interviews if they are outside of certain markets or fields of law are the people I am criticizing.
Are you fucking kidding me? You don't understand why someone with a J.D. might be disinclined to take a job as a paralegal or an accounting clerk?

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:23 pm

romothesavior wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:The number of law graduates I know both in person and on TLS who would rather remain unemployed than take a job as a paralegal or accounting clerk and turn down interviews if they are outside of certain markets or fields of law are the people I am criticizing.
Are you fucking kidding me? You don't understand why someone with a J.D. might be disinclined to take a job as a paralegal or an accounting clerk?
If it pays their rent and student loans and they've already applied to employers who pay better and been rejected, then no, I don't understand why someone would prefer unemployment to underemployment.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mmribail

New

Post by mmribail » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:26 pm

Grizz wrote:
mmribail wrote:So is it worse then the numbers indicate or better?
Worse or better in what way?
Are there more jobs out there than the study indicates or less is what I meant. But it looks like people already answered this question. So the state breakdowns are crap. But the actual jobs available nationwide are some what reliable ....

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:42 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
If it pays their rent and student loans and they've already applied to employers who pay better and been rejected, then no, I don't understand why someone would prefer unemployment to underemployment.
1) It depends on how long they've been out of school. It takes some people a year or more to get a legal job. If I didn't have a job after 6 months or something, I sure as hell wouldn't go take a paralegal job. I'd rather keep looking for my first job than throw away any viable shot at using my JD.
2) Even if I grant you that your last post is true, what in the hell does that have to do with this study, or this thread, or anything at all? Go to tell it your unemployed friends. But it is completely irrelevant to a discussion of the current shape of the legal market.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:02 pm

While I often criticize people for being too picky, I DEFINITELY agree with Romo on this one. To say that someone is being too picky when he doesn't accept a 60k a year job in a city he doesn't like and has no other options is one thing but to say that these people are too picky b/c they won't take a paralegal job is something different entirely.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:34 pm

A'nold wrote:While I often criticize people for being too picky, I DEFINITELY agree with Romo on this one. To say that someone is being too picky when he doesn't accept a 60k a year job in a city he doesn't like and has no other options is one thing but to say that these people are too picky b/c they won't take a paralegal job is something different entirely.
+1, well said.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”