2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273202
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:28 pm

So, some firms have begun sending out class lists of everyone in their SA classes. This can be useful for us because we can get an advance look at class sizes and school distributions, data that otherwise won't be available for a long time via NALP.

I know Simpson Thacher and Fried Frank have already released this info; don't have Fried Frank in front of me, but I do have STB, which seems to have held steady or slightly increased hiring. (Numbers are up, but in the low single digits, from 79 to 83 in NYC and from 15 to 16 in SV.) Without further ado...


NY: 83 total
Brooklyn: 1
Chicago: 2
Columbia: 6
Cornell: 6
Duke: 4
Fordham: 3
GW: 1
Georgetown: 7
Harvard: 6
Howard: 1
Michigan: 6
NYU: 10
UNC: 1
Northwestern: 2
Penn: 6
Seton Hall: 2
Stanford: 4
Texas: 1
UCLA: 1
Vanderbilt: 3
UVA: 5
W&L: 1
Yale: 4


LA: 4 total
NYU: 1
Penn: 1
UCLA: 2


SV: 16 total
Berkeley: 1 (lolBoalt)
Davis: 2
Chicago: 1
Duke: 1
NYU: 1
Northwestern: 3
Santa Clara: 1
USC: 1
Stanford: 3
UCLA: 1
Vanderbilt: 1


DC: 2 total
Duke: 1
Penn: 1

User avatar
DallasCowboy
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby DallasCowboy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:08 am

So you're saying Duke tied Harvard and Columbia

Anonymous User
Posts: 273202
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:17 am

DallasCowboy wrote:So you're saying Duke tied Harvard and Columbia


Overall, yeah. NYU has the most STB SAs at 12, followed by Penn at 8, then Georgetown and Stanford at 7, then Duke, Columbia, Cornell, Michigan and Harvard all at 6, etc. The somewhat random distribution of the schools should assure you that this means relatively little when we're just looking at one firm and no more than a dozen students from any school. (If we get a lot of data here, though, we could discover if some schools are outplacing others in unexpected ways. Bear in mind school size, too. Stanford's 7 SAs are a lot more impressive than Georgetown's as Georgetown has 3.5x as many students as Stanford.)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
koalatriste
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby koalatriste » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:18 am

numbers are "up" but not in any statistically significant way . . . these could just be increases in yield percentage for STB and not actual "intentional" increases in class size.

But, wow, NYU taking it from Washington Square to Lexington Ave like it's nobody's business.

/NYUtrolling

User avatar
NinerFan
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby NinerFan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:26 am

koalatriste wrote:numbers are "up" but not in any statistically significant way . . . these could just be increases in yield percentage for STB and not actual "intentional" increases in class size.

But, wow, NYU taking it from Washington Square to Lexington Ave like it's nobody's business.

/NYUtrolling


Haha, NYU is almost Harvard-esque in size of enrollment.

User avatar
koalatriste
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby koalatriste » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:28 am

NinerFan wrote:
koalatriste wrote:numbers are "up" but not in any statistically significant way . . . these could just be increases in yield percentage for STB and not actual "intentional" increases in class size.

But, wow, NYU taking it from Washington Square to Lexington Ave like it's nobody's business.

/NYUtrolling


Haha, NYU is almost Harvard-esque in size of enrollment.


sometimes, you just can't help being so large.

User avatar
NinerFan
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby NinerFan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:32 am

koalatriste wrote:
NinerFan wrote:
koalatriste wrote:numbers are "up" but not in any statistically significant way . . . these could just be increases in yield percentage for STB and not actual "intentional" increases in class size.

But, wow, NYU taking it from Washington Square to Lexington Ave like it's nobody's business.

/NYUtrolling


Haha, NYU is almost Harvard-esque in size of enrollment.


sometimes, you just can't help being so large.


Well, you can, but why stop eating from the 0L buffet when there are so many eager bodies?

Anyways, with such a small sample-size, it's hard to discern anything other than that the T-14 does well with STB, as you would expect. I did this math really quick so it could be/probably is wrong, but I counted 83/105 from T14.

User avatar
koalatriste
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby koalatriste » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:35 am

i think you missed the pun.

User avatar
NinerFan
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby NinerFan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:36 am

I chose to ignore it. I don't think anyone's envious of NYU's size :P

Anonymous User
Posts: 273202
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:45 am

Why an (lolBoalt) following SV? Boalties got STB NY summer offers but turned them down for better options. #BearPride

Anonymous User
Posts: 273202
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:47 am

.

User avatar
koalatriste
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby koalatriste » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:NYU also owned GDC CLS


better.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273202
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:15 am

what were the numbers like at GDC?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273202
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:what were the numbers like at GDC?


At last count, 15 from Stanford are going to GDC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273202
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:45 am

FF (NY) - Total: 32

Berkeley: 1
Boston College: 1
Cardozo: 1
Chicago: 1
Columbia: 7
Cornell: 4
Fordham: 1
Georgetown: 2
Harvard: 2
NYU: 6
Northwestern: 3
Penn: 1
UVA: 1
Yale: 1

Anonymous User
Posts: 273202
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:FF (NY) - Total: 32

Berkeley: 1
Boston College: 1
Cardozo: 1
Chicago: 1
Columbia: 7
Cornell: 4
Fordham: 1
Georgetown: 2
Harvard: 2
NYU: 6
Northwestern: 3
Penn: 1
UVA: 1
Yale: 1


Whoa, nobody went to FF from CLS last year. Huge increase.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby 005618502 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:36 am

Hopefully this turns into an informative thread. Good start.

tag

Anonymous User
Posts: 273202
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:So you're saying Duke tied Harvard and Columbia


Overall, yeah. NYU has the most STB SAs at 12, followed by Penn at 8, then Georgetown and Stanford at 7, then Duke, Columbia, Cornell, Michigan and Harvard all at 6, etc. The somewhat random distribution of the schools should assure you that this means relatively little when we're just looking at one firm and no more than a dozen students from any school. (If we get a lot of data here, though, we could discover if some schools are outplacing others in unexpected ways. Bear in mind school size, too. Stanford's 7 SAs are a lot more impressive than Georgetown's as Georgetown has 3.5x as many students as Stanford.)


Don't read too much into this, STB is super grade snobby at CLS and notoriously inept at selling their firm once they give out an offer.

Last year they gave 37 offers at Columbia (all to the top third of the class) and only 5 people ended up accepting... it was one of the worst ratios of any of the top firms. I would've thought they'd tweak their recruiting strategy after that, but apparently not...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273202
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:So you're saying Duke tied Harvard and Columbia


Overall, yeah. NYU has the most STB SAs at 12, followed by Penn at 8, then Georgetown and Stanford at 7, then Duke, Columbia, Cornell, Michigan and Harvard all at 6, etc. The somewhat random distribution of the schools should assure you that this means relatively little when we're just looking at one firm and no more than a dozen students from any school. (If we get a lot of data here, though, we could discover if some schools are outplacing others in unexpected ways. Bear in mind school size, too. Stanford's 7 SAs are a lot more impressive than Georgetown's as Georgetown has 3.5x as many students as Stanford.)


Don't read too much into this, STB is super grade snobby at CLS and notoriously inept at selling their firm once they give out an offer.

Last year they gave 37 offers at Columbia (all to the top third of the class) and only 5 people ended up accepting... it was one of the worst ratios of any of the top firms. I would've thought they'd tweak their recruiting strategy after that, but apparently not...


You sound mad. STB is not really that grade snobby at UVA. Though, admittedly, they're not great at selling their firm other than to say "we are a very prestigious firm in NYC."

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby 005618502 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:46 pm

Are any other distributions out? Would love to see more.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273202
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:16 pm

GDC-New York

41 Total

NYU-8
Harvard-6
CLS-5
Penn-4
GULC-3
Yale-2
Fordham-2
UVA-2
Stanford-2
Mich-2
Chicago-2
Cornell-1
Duke-1
Boalt-1

Anonymous User
Posts: 273202
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:27 pm

At the risk of sounding like an NYU troll, the difference in class size (relative to, say, CLS) is irrelevant considering the fact that the amount of OCI slots (for interviews) is basically the same at each school.

User avatar
koalatriste
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby koalatriste » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At the risk of sounding like an NYU troll, the difference in class size (relative to, say, CLS) is irrelevant considering the fact that the amount of OCI slots (for interviews) is basically the same at each school.


this makes no sense. (1) the amount of OCI interviews at these schools are not the same (please see NYU v. Fordham, CLS v. Georgetown, etc.) and (2) i'm failing at understanding your basic point . . . are you saying that these numbers really don't tell us anything about placement power? if so, i'd likely agree until there are more data in this thread.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273202
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:26 pm

This reflects school class size and student self selection- NYU and CLS students want biglaw in overwhelming proprtions. YLS not so much. The real question is how many interviewed and how many got SA jobs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273202
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Class Sizes, School Distributions, other useful data

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:30 pm

koalatriste wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At the risk of sounding like an NYU troll, the difference in class size (relative to, say, CLS) is irrelevant considering the fact that the amount of OCI slots (for interviews) is basically the same at each school.


this makes no sense. (1) the amount of OCI interviews at these schools are not the same (please see NYU v. Fordham, CLS v. Georgetown, etc.) and (2) i'm failing at understanding your basic point . . . are you saying that these numbers really don't tell us anything about placement power? if so, i'd likely agree until there are more data in this thread.


Well no shit NYU places better than the schools you mentioned.

I'll make it easy for you:
If NYU outplaces CLS at a particular firm, then it's stupid to attribute such placement to NYU's class size. As in, STB had 180 OCI slots for both schools, so the fact that there are 8 NYU SAs vs. 5 CLS SAs turns on information that none of the speculators in this thread have access to.

Edit: I'm only trying to head-off the CLS/NYU pissing match that always comes of these threads.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.