0L Employment Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

0L Employment Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:26 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but it seemed more appropriate than "Law School Admissions."

I was wondering what kind of part-time legal work an 0L can get in the private sector? I looked at craigslist and saw legal assistant/secretary positions available for solo's and very small practices... would this provide any benefit in terms of learning more of what it means to be a lawyer? Am I likely to do much of anything beyond what a secretary does at any type of office?

This is my first and only gap year, and I'm currently doing a couple unpaid legal PI internships while tutoring on the side but don't see myself getting a lot more from staying at both for the rest of my time until law school begins, and would love to do some (ideally paid) work with private attorneys to see that side of legal practice. Does anyone have recommendations for websites to look for job listings, or personal stories about what kind of work they did? Will being a legal assistant at a solo/shitlaw firm potentially hurt me when doing OCI in the future, or just be considered not particularly meaningful work?

Thanks in advance for any help/experience people can provide.

PS: Anon because I don't want to out myself.

iowastud2014

Re: 0L Employment Questions

Postby iowastud2014 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:32 am

Sure, you could work as a paralegal or something if you can get a job. I have friends in my class and at other schools that did this.

However, I do not think it is useful. They don't have any edge or anything.

Anonymous User

Re: 0L Employment Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:17 am

In terms of things you can control right now, what's going to help you most at OCI (besides being at a good school and having good grades) is doing substantive work, whether that work is tutoring or coaching or working as a legal assistant. If you can show that you get shit done on time, are detail-oriented, willing to go the extra mile --- all these things are what firms are like at during OCI, and these things can be demonstrated in a very wide variety of jobs/activities before law school. No firm is going to expect you to do substantive legal work during 0L, but you can stand out by doing substantive work in some other field or job (and it sounds like with your PI internship and your tutoring, you might be doing that already). Be thinking more about developing some traits/qualities that would make you a good fit for a firm (like those qualities mentioned above) instead of simply XYZ paralegal skills.

Return to “Legal Employment”