If you know any firm ANYWHERE that's still hiring, post ITT Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
koalatriste

Bronze

Re: If you know any firm ANYWHERE that's still hiring, post ITT

Post by koalatriste » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I applied to Morgan Lewis NY back in August from a T1, top 5%, moot court and journal and got dinged...(and I am still looking) so I imagine that your chances aren't good, but I could be wrong!
dinged without a screener? is this ML engaging in YP? you would think that, you know, canceling your summer program in 2010 would reduce your ability to be picky but apparently not. is your T1 an NYC-centric T1?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:53 pm

I had a screener off mass mail with ML Boston a ways back, just applied to NYC. Both have the same named hiring coordinator, do you think there is any chance they look at my file again?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:24 pm

My T1 is not NYC-centric. So that probably didn't help.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:37 pm

Just got my last ding from a group of CBs I got through massmailings in mid-October (callback was during the last week of October).

Feels like the strike out after the strike out.

1. Anyone in this thread still have hope?
2. Have your strategies changed?
3. Any new postings this week on Symplicity boards? (Particularly for IP)

Thanks everyone for their contributions. This thread has actually been very effective. I wish everyone in here the best of luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just got my last ding from a group of CBs I got through massmailings in mid-October (callback was during the last week of October).

Feels like the strike out after the strike out.

1. Anyone in this thread still have hope?
2. Have your strategies changed?
3. Any new postings this week on Symplicity boards? (Particularly for IP)

Thanks everyone for their contributions. This thread has actually been very effective. I wish everyone in here the best of luck.
This exact same thing happened to me (strike out after striking out).
1. not much
2. somewhat, looking more toward mid-size/smaller firms
3. none

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:09 am

theres no hope.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:24 am

yeah, what are you guys thinking at this point? I feel frustrated because I'm not sure what I should be doing haha

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:yeah, what are you guys thinking at this point? I feel frustrated because I'm not sure what I should be doing haha
i'm applying to like 20-30 attny firms, who keep replying with we dont have a summer associate program. i cant concentrate on finals. i really hate my life right now lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:yeah, what are you guys thinking at this point? I feel frustrated because I'm not sure what I should be doing haha
i'm applying to like 20-30 attny firms, who keep replying with we dont have a summer associate program. i cant concentrate on finals. i really hate my life right now lol.
I'm seriously worried my GPA is going to plummet b/c it's hard to give a shit with no employment prospects in sight haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm seriously worried my GPA is going to plummet b/c it's hard to give a shit with no employment prospects in sight haha

exactly. having a GPA any lower than what i have now is not gonna help matters.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:03 am

for the above posters who had mentioned dla piper LA still hiring, does anyone know who the contact person would be for this? (NALP sheet has old information)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

exactly. having a GPA any lower than what i have now is not gonna help matters.
OP. the best advice would be to cut our losses, study hard the next month and get our GPA higher. Will I take my own advice? No. I will continue stressing throughout finals, probably ruin my GPA and go through this search/stress in a worse position next year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:22 pm

I'm honestly and seriously considering suicide, not see much point to go on like this when know how hopeless and realize worth more dead than alive w/ huge debt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm honestly and seriously considering suicide, not see much point to go on like this when know how hopeless and realize worth more dead than alive w/ huge debt.
Sorry to break the no 0L rule, but ATC, screw it.

Hey man few things to keep in mind

1. Bail outs, bail outs for everyone. It could happen, or more likely IBR could get sweeter (its already not to bad) or student loan debt could become dischargable
2. You can actually dodge debt for like 7 years before things start to get dicey, gives you plenty of options to reasses and think of a few more options
3. Its November 15, might as well wait until the end of 3L, after all there are still plenty of great jobs that hire off plan. Also biglaw, according to ATL, ishiring 3ls this year, more will next year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm honestly and seriously considering suicide, not see much point to go on like this when know how hopeless and realize worth more dead than alive w/ huge debt.
I was seriously feeling like you last week, I didn't see the point of going on. But dude, life is bigger than a legal job you will find something, just keep hustling and be open to all kinds of options.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:13 pm

please don't kill yourself. as the above poster said.. it's just a job! life's greatest things will not come from your job, so rest assured there is light at the end of the tunnel. this is coming from a guy from a t-14, top 25%, who had 9 callback interviews and 0 offers. I have literally 50 letter of rejection in a book i called "Haters Gonna Hate." I use it as motivation because I know I am an excellent candidate and will become an excellent attorney. My advice to ya'll is to handle finals. It's so late in the game now, most firms have filled their SA. Just rock out on grades, and get another bite at the apple as a 3L. THERE IS HOPE. One thing I realized from this process... and that holds true in life.. is that LIFE IS NOT FAIR. No matter how bad I think i deserved the offer over my colleagues, I didn't get it, and it may not have been fair... but life is not fair. Do your best to create opportunities for yourself. Minus OCI, there is never a time in your life where people actively seek you out to pay you top dollars... that is something that you have to do for yourself. Make it happen, and let's pop a bottle of dom when it's all done. cheers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:14 pm

Davis Polk hired a 3L from Brooklyn Law School.

No, this wont be you. But dont kill yourself. Even if you wasted 3 years of your life, you'll eventually get a job. You need to have sex or something.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:please don't kill yourself. as the above poster said.. it's just a job! life's greatest things will not come from your job, so rest assured there is light at the end of the tunnel. this is coming from a guy from a t-14, top 25%, who had 9 callback interviews and 0 offers. I have literally 50 letter of rejection in a book i called "Haters Gonna Hate." I use it as motivation because I know I am an excellent candidate and will become an excellent attorney. My advice to ya'll is to handle finals. It's so late in the game now, most firms have filled their SA. Just rock out on grades, and get another bite at the apple as a 3L. THERE IS HOPE. One thing I realized from this process... and that holds true in life.. is that LIFE IS NOT FAIR. No matter how bad I think i deserved the offer over my colleagues, I didn't get it, and it may not have been fair... but life is not fair. Do your best to create opportunities for yourself. Minus OCI, there is never a time in your life where people actively seek you out to pay you top dollars... that is something that you have to do for yourself. Make it happen, and let's pop a bottle of dom when it's all done. cheers.
I'm a CCN student going through this again b/c of weird circumstances, so know the consequences of striking out. All I have to look forward to is repeating last year's failure all over again. I've worked harder than anyone I know over the last 1.5 year, including better grades, and have gotten no where. At a certain point, predestination seems a truth. Hard to expect much as 3l when know everyone else who tried in litigation got nowhere, esp if they were stuck w/ govt job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:please don't kill yourself. as the above poster said.. it's just a job! life's greatest things will not come from your job, so rest assured there is light at the end of the tunnel. this is coming from a guy from a t-14, top 25%, who had 9 callback interviews and 0 offers. I have literally 50 letter of rejection in a book i called "Haters Gonna Hate." I use it as motivation because I know I am an excellent candidate and will become an excellent attorney. My advice to ya'll is to handle finals. It's so late in the game now, most firms have filled their SA. Just rock out on grades, and get another bite at the apple as a 3L. THERE IS HOPE. One thing I realized from this process... and that holds true in life.. is that LIFE IS NOT FAIR. No matter how bad I think i deserved the offer over my colleagues, I didn't get it, and it may not have been fair... but life is not fair. Do your best to create opportunities for yourself. Minus OCI, there is never a time in your life where people actively seek you out to pay you top dollars... that is something that you have to do for yourself. Make it happen, and let's pop a bottle of dom when it's all done. cheers.
I'm a CCN student going through this again b/c of weird circumstances, so know the consequences of striking out. All I have to look forward to is repeating last year's failure all over again. I've worked harder than anyone I know over the last 1.5 year, including better grades, and have gotten no where. At a certain point, predestination seems a truth. Hard to expect much as 3l when know everyone else who tried in litigation got nowhere, esp if they were stuck w/ govt job.
This is the shitty part. Also at CCN, and having good grades and no job sucks when there are people next to you in class with bad grades, no idea what's going on, bragging about their V10.

To those of you completely discouraged, just remember: IBR on $0 is $0/month.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:53 pm

Anybody who is "honestly and seriously considering" suicide should consider getting help. There are people who are familiar with your situation who are willing to offer support and counseling. Contact a Lawyer Assistance Program near you: http://www.americanbar.org/groups/lawye ... state.html

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody who is "honestly and seriously considering" suicide should consider getting help. There are people who are familiar with your situation who are willing to offer support and counseling. Contact a Lawyer Assistance Program near you: http://www.americanbar.org/groups/lawye ... state.html
Already in extensive treatment. Lawyers are the least able to help, esp as older lawyers have little idea about how our careers will develop in this new system. If they were competent, career services would actually be doing their job in helping students. Unfortunately don't like alcohol, so don't have the typical lawyer medicine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dickstein Shapiro (NY) just posted on my lower T-14 job board. Looking for 2L SA. Top 50% requested. Application deadline is TOMORROW (11/15).
Do these firms have yields they're looking for per school? It's odd that most of these NYC symplicity postings aren't on my C/N T6 symplicity.
Applied Sunday, rejected today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:27 pm

DCNG Symplicity post. Herbert Smith (London) is still hiring. 2L candidates for capital markets group. Preference for top 1/3, 2nd language, experience living abroad. Deadline: today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:42 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dickstein Shapiro (NY) just posted on my lower T-14 job board. Looking for 2L SA. Top 50% requested. Application deadline is TOMORROW (11/15).
Do these firms have yields they're looking for per school? It's odd that most of these NYC symplicity postings aren't on my C/N T6 symplicity.
im sorry. rejected via email or mail?

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
im sorry. rejected via email or mail?
Email. I was expecting it. I have an offer from an agency I need to take by Friday, so this was just a random shot in the dark.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”