Manhattan DA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NYRangers

New

Re: Manhattan DA

Post by NYRangers » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:38 pm

How long is the interview with Vance and what does he ask you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:12 am

NYRangers wrote:How long is the interview with Vance and what does he ask you?
He mostly just wanted to talk about past experiences and what I thought of them. He was interested in some of the work I did pre-law school. It was only about 15 minutes, but I stuck around for a few hours to do some HR stuff.

NYRangers

New

Post by NYRangers » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:20 am

That's awesome - I'm assuming that you got the offer during that interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:16 pm

NYRangers wrote:That's awesome - I'm assuming that you got the offer during that interview?
Yes. :)

mvk216

New

Post by mvk216 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NYRangers wrote:That's awesome - I'm assuming that you got the offer during that interview?
Are you expected to accept the offer on the spot or do you have a certain amount of time to consider it? If so, how much time? I'm in the process of interviewing for a number of different jobs and am worried about offer timing.

Thx!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:02 pm

mvk216 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Are you expected to accept the offer on the spot or do you have a certain amount of time to consider it? If so, how much time? I'm in the process of interviewing for a number of different jobs and am worried about offer timing.

Thx!
I have heard (though I don't know for sure) that Vance doesn't like it when people mull. But I think it's pretty customary with regular jobs that once the offer is extended, you have a certain amount of time to consider it. For me it wasn't an issue since this was The Job, but I think generally you are given some time to consider the offer. He didn't ask me if I would accept and I could probably have walked out without explicitly telling him that I was accepting, if that's at all helpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:40 pm

Congrats. I've been here a year or so, and it's a really great job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:42 pm

Not sure if this belongs here (sorry if it's in the wrong place!), but is anyone who got an offer looking for a roommate for next year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:20 am

Congrats on your offer! Sorry, I can't help on the roommate situation, but do you have any info for us on how many offers have gone out so far?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Congrats on your offer! Sorry, I can't help on the roommate situation, but do you have any info for us on how many offers have gone out so far?
I'm not the January 30 anon, but I know of 3 people who have gotten offers and accepted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:20 pm

For those of you who received offers, what kinds of internships had you done? I really want DOJ Honors, so I'm planning on focusing on federal prosecution and then doing a DA externship fall 3L since being an ADA is my second choice. I realize it's somewhat silly to plan my internships around Honors since it's crazy hard to get.... Also--did any of you do a 2L internship at a firm? I really don't want to work at a firm, but I'm scared of not having a job at graduation.... Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you who received offers, what kinds of internships had you done? I really want DOJ Honors, so I'm planning on focusing on federal prosecution and then doing a DA externship fall 3L since being an ADA is my second choice. I realize it's somewhat silly to plan my internships around Honors since it's crazy hard to get.... Also--did any of you do a 2L internship at a firm? I really don't want to work at a firm, but I'm scared of not having a job at graduation.... Thanks!
I think it's great that you're so focused, but my one word of caution is that many DA's offices don't like to be viewed as a stepping stone to the Feds. So since you're planning on applying to DA's offices in addition to DOJ Honors, it's good that you're rounding out your internships to include the local level. As you're aware, DOJ Honors is really hard to get and I think they cut their slots back by a lot this year. Hopefully it'll be better by the time you're applying.

But anyway, back to your question, I did my summers at a local DA's office and then at a USAO and then I did a DA's office externship 3L year (all in the NYC area).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:37 pm

I'm the Jan 30 anon. I don't know anyone else who has gotten offers yet (but, I don't know anyone else who applied, so that doesn't mean much).

I'd be more than happy to talk via PM to anyone who has questions, just leave your name.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi all,

I have my first round interview Feb. 28th, could anyone give me an idea what the first round is like? I would assume it's like most DA's offices, but any information would be great!

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

I have my first round interview Feb. 28th, could anyone give me an idea what the first round is like? I would assume it's like most DA's offices, but any information would be great!

Thanks.
It's basically just a get-to-know-you interview. It's usually just one ADA who tries to get a feel for your personality and interests and see if you would be a good fit for the office. No hypos, no hard stuff. The basic: "Why do you want to be a prosecutor?", "Why here?", "How do you like your law school?" etc etc. Easy stuff. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:37 pm

It's basically just a get-to-know-you interview. It's usually just one ADA who tries to get a feel for your personality and interests and see if you would be a good fit for the office. No hypos, no hard stuff. The basic: "Why do you want to be a prosecutor?", "Why here?", "How do you like your law school?" etc etc. Easy stuff. Good luck!
That was my experience as well. Very conversational, very laid back. Smile, be friendly, and have good answers for the above questions, and you'll be fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:45 pm

Thanks so much, all!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:44 pm

I got hypos my first, second, and third round interviews at Manhattan. I'd say be prepared 'cause you never know. My interview with DA Vance lasted five minutes. Another person there got an offer right before me. They wouldn't tell me how many offers went out when I asked HR, but I know of one other person in addition to the one who met with Vance before me. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:24 pm

any idea about the timing between second and third interviews? I have my second round this week, but I also have a firm offer that will only be viable for a few more weeks. nyda is my first choice, but i dont want to throw something for sure away if i dont have to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any idea about the timing between second and third interviews? I have my second round this week, but I also have a firm offer that will only be viable for a few more weeks. nyda is my first choice, but i dont want to throw something for sure away if i dont have to.
I had about a week and a half turnaround between my second round and notification of third round. Did you tell them you have a pending offer? They'll try to rush your application if you tell them that. Just be sure to tell them DANY is your first choice over the firm. And good luck! :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:27 am

Just echoing the above poster - I had an offer from another place that, like yours, was also going to expire. They were really good about expediting the process for me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:52 am

is this something I should share with them before the second interview? I don't want to come off as pushy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:23 pm

Also, any tips about how to prepare -- other than going over crim, crim pro, and evidence -- would be much appreciated. im going to be particularly nervous as I really, really want this job, and the only way I can fight that nervousness is with preparation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is this something I should share with them before the second interview? I don't want to come off as pushy.
I would. Robin Edwards (the Administrator of Legal Hiring) is really nice. You won't come off as pushy.
Anonymous User wrote:Also, any tips about how to prepare -- other than going over crim, crim pro, and evidence -- would be much appreciated. im going to be particularly nervous as I really, really want this job, and the only way I can fight that nervousness is with preparation.
See if you can get a mock interview through your school. If you can get a mock interview at the local prosecutor's office (which some schools' career services depts set up), even better.

Go over hypos. If you google them, you'll find enough.

To prepare for a stress interview, look at each answer you have prepared (ex: your answer to the question, "Why do you want to work at a state prosecutor's office? Why not a federal office?" or some sort of "Why public interest? Looks like you want to do firm work" question). Then, ask yourself "If I were a stress interviewer, how would I tear down this answer? What holes can I find?" And then, come up with rebuttals. That way, you're really prepared for anything an interviewer can throw at you. The hardest thing about a stress interview is being able to keep your cool while simultaneously thinking of ways (often times on the fly) to show the interviewer why their criticism of you is unjustified. This helps you do that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:49 pm

Everything the above poster said.

Also, read this: --LinkRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”